• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Craigslist....

My woodworking hobby has me regularly visiting Craigslist for equipment and, occasionally, for lumber. Woodworking seems to be an age specific hobby, with most participants starting at middle age or early retirement. Accordingly, there's lots of lightly used 10 to 20-yr old equipment available at attractive prices.

Of course, while I'm there, I often search on "BMW" and occasionally something pops up, like the following,

https://york.craigslist.org/mcy/6024085502.html

While the price is pretty much NADA book, the 17-yo bike looks darn clean and a lower offer might be accepted. Now, if I was truly as smart and rational as I like to think I am..........I would buy or still own a bike like that. Reliable, good performance, low cost. But, that isn't the case.....I own something faster. Obviously, I'm not the person I think I am.

But, as many have pointed out before, these 17-yo bikes should be an attractive entry point for new BMW riders. I think the Airheads have attained that status with the urban trendies, but the subsequent BMW models don't seem to be getting much attention from the market. Is that something we as a club are "missing"? How would a Union Garage, or similar, modify an Oilhead or K-bike for their typical customer base? Would such a thing be of interest to the Owners News?

Just my Saturday morning thoughts..

I know where there's a nice 13 year old S bike for sale if someone's looking for an Oilhead. :)

In the Marketplace. And currently in my garage....

I know where there's a nice 13 year old S bike for sale if someone's looking for an Oilhead. :)

In the Marketplace. And currently in my garage....

If it was 24-months from now, your pride and joy would have been setting in another garage.

But, back to my post, the oilhead "S" is one of the few post airhead BMW's that might catch on with the younger crowd. It has a unique look while still being elemental. The chromeheads (with out Ape hangers) are really a bobber. But, the models with a lots of fiberglass or tupperware........I don't see them as highly desirable in the future.

Totally agree that the Oilheads seem to be overlooked, besides the S, I also like the R bikes. A good platform to spec out most anyway you want.

Of course I'm prejudiced. Owned an R prior to the S, with a Cee Baileys screen, bags, and Hella auxiliary lamps it was an excellent "light touring" ride. And capable of doing a bit of dirt tracking. Other than owning a couple of Ducati's, I've always tended to favor all-round style bikes, capable of touring, sport riding and bit of dirt roads.

But, I started out riding a 250 Honda Scrambler in the mid 60's. So many bikes...lol

Totally agree that the Oilheads seem to be overlooked, besides the S, I also like the R bikes. A good platform to spec out most anyway you want.

Of course I'm prejudiced. Owned an R prior to the S, with a Cee Baileys screen, bags, and Hella auxiliary lamps it was an excellent "light touring" ride. And capable of doing a bit of dirt tracking. Other than owning a couple of Ducati's, I've always tended to favor all-round style bikes, capable of touring, sport riding and bit of dirt roads.

But, I started out riding a 250 Honda Scrambler in the mid 60's. So many bikes...lol

What started me on this tangent was viewing the R850R pictures posted on the oilhead "S" photo exchange thread. The partially dis-assembled bike looked like something someone could have fun with. Surely, that would be a better platform for artistic interpretation than a CB350/360 or CX500~650?

What started me on this tangent was viewing the R850R pictures posted on the oilhead "S" photo exchange thread. The partially dis-assembled bike looked like something someone could have fun with. Surely, that would be a better platform for artistic interpretation than a CB350/360 or CX500~650?

A little OT perhaps...

Back in the late 70's I'd quit riding for a couple of years to focus on my career, and more importantly, my family. One Saturday morning while sipping on my first coffee of the day, I gazed out the front window to watch our neighbor setting up for a garage sale. The last thing he brought out was a '63 250 Honda Scrambler. I didn't even know he'd had it in his garage doing a ground up restoration. My wife noticed me watching the scene unfold, and we talked a bit about me getting another bike.

An hour later...she said, "go look in the garage". I was flabbergasted...that led a few months later to a CB 750F, and a year later to a Suzuki GS850G with a Pacifico Aero fairing and Krauser bags...and a LOT of fun miles on two wheels.

And yes, I saw that 850 in the picture thread. A fun looking project. These bikes fly under the radar, especially with all the cruiser bikes around. I think newbies are frequently more interested in "the look" rather than the capabilities.

A little OT perhaps...

Back in the late 70's I'd quit riding for a couple of years to focus on my career, and more importantly, my family. One Saturday morning while sipping on my first coffee of the day, I gazed out the front window to watch our neighbor setting up for a garage sale. The last thing he brought out was a '63 250 Honda Scrambler. I didn't even know he'd had it in his garage doing a ground up restoration. My wife noticed me watching the scene unfold, and we talked a bit about me getting another bike.

An hour later...she said, "go look in the garage". I was flabbergasted...that led a few months later to a CB 750F, and a year later to a Suzuki GS850G with a Pacifico Aero fairing and Krauser bags...and a LOT of fun miles on two wheels.

And yes, I saw that 850 in the picture thread. A fun looking project. These bikes fly under the radar, especially with all the cruiser bikes around. I think newbies are frequently more interested in "the look" rather than the capabilities.

Sounds like you picked well when choosing a spousešŸ˜€.

My full size bike was a GS750E, no fairing, but Samsonite bags. Road that to Colorado in 1981 to visit my Sister in Cripple Creek. In 55-mph America, that was a long trip.

Totally agree that the Oilheads seem to be overlooked ...

IMHO Oilheads are going to be difficult.

They're the first BMWs built following new Euro regulations regarding biodegradability of automotive components.

Many Oilheads are already experiencing wiring harness failures--not nearly as easy to deal with as brake line problems, which also occur.

The first generation power (whizzy) brakes are problematic as well.

Engineers usually figure things out with time, but often their first tries achieve only moderate success. Now we have CANBus, metal-braiding covered brake lines, and a better power brake solution.

IMHO Oilheads are going to be difficult.

They're the first BMWs built following new Euro regulations regarding biodegradability of automotive components.

Many Oilheads are already experiencing wiring harness failures--not nearly as easy to deal with as brake line problems, which also occur.

The first generation power (whizzy) brakes are problematic as well.

Engineers usually figure things out with time, but often their first tries achieve only moderate success. Now we have CANBus, metal-braiding covered brake lines, and a better power brake solution.

IIRC, the whizzy brakes didn't appear until the R1150 models in ~2001? That's 7 or 8 years of Oilhead production without the issue.

Back