• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do I rent, or ship my 2008 GS from NY to Denver

paulsgs

I was invited on a 7 day road trip out of Denver, Co in early June. I live on Long Island, own a 2008 GS 1200 with 8k on it. I have a limited amount of time and thought about flying out there, Renting a bike . (175 a day?) . I assume many folks have had experience shipping their bike, but in checking prices, It doesn't seem to be cost effective, plus the hassle of lead and lag time of shipping the bike. Any thoughts?

My (our) circumstances were different as we did not concentrate on one specific area like Colorado. But it was one of the best trips taken with my older brother (his desire/age was reason for shipping and flying), shipped our RT's from Indiana and Illinois respectively to Portland, OR. Our plan was to simply meander back to our homes. Two and half weeks shipping window, with fly out and pickup at Portland's BMW dealer at the time. We had our own rides and nothing but time as we were both retired.

Very enjoyable, nicely paced journey back...OR, WA, CA, NV, UT, CO and some flat ones the rest of way. It cost me about $550 to ship and $300 or so for airfare (one way)...this was 2010. I think our trip lasted 9 days. Say $250.00 (4,000 miles) for gas (it was more expensive in 2010) and 8 motel nights, which we split...I'd say I was out $1,600 plus food and drink. If I had flown and rented, first I couldn't have done trip the way we did and rental cost + flight (round trip) + motels + gas would have been more in the $2,600 area.

I didn't mind being without bike for the shipping time, especially to accommodate my brother in pulling this trip off, but I had no time limitation...the cost savings was just a bonus. Of course a round trip ticket and 6 day rental could be more in line with your perimeters. Especially if you have no interest in seeing fly over real estate.

I think the OP's situation is different in that he'll need to ship the bike in both directions.

Flight, meals, gas and accommodations are the same whether you rent a bike or ship your own bike, as is airfare, so the only real difference is renting vs shipping.

A quality shipper (don't us a fly by night) is $620~ each way, so $1,240 for the trip. Plus you will need to allow for the cost of 1-2 additional days (food and accommodations) potentially due to shipping not being guaranteed for specific dates. So $1,240 bare minimum if everything goes like clockwork.

EagleRider in Denver rents R1200RTs, plus Harleys and Indians by the day or week. A one-week RT rental is $109/day x 7 = $763 ($129/day for daily rentals). You'd want insurance on that, but IIRC, it would be under $100 for the week, so say $850 all in plus tax renting, vs 45% more to ship @ $1,240. That's by my math anyway.

If you don't have specific routes in mind yet check out NW of Denver - Route-70 to Route-40 to Route-34 to Route-7 to Route-72 to Route-119 S. I've been looking at this for a ride in July. Be warned thought, there is a section of Route-34 closed until mid-late June, so check with the Colorado DOT, they do a good job of identifying road closures, etc., and you can do an email subscription for updates on your specific route for closures, accidents, etc.

I think the OP's situation is different in that he'll need to ship the bike in both directions.

It definitely is different as indicated. But mentioned experience to offer the food for thought he was asking for. Why would he have to ship both ways? He was invited on a 7 day trip and states he has limited time. However, not sure if his "limited" time is 7, 10, 14 days or whatever. Assume he'd have a minimum, full 9 days (one week + two weekends). Do five days of the 7 day outing and start home on his own bike or do all 7 and start home. Take 4 days to ride home....using a total of 11 days...perhaps his "limited" time would fit that? Maybe finally get that '08 broken in...LOL.

Flight, meals, gas and accommodations are the same whether you rent a bike or ship your own bike, as is airfare, so the only real difference is renting vs shipping.

Definitely not the same if you ride your own bike back home. If he choose to approach it differently...airfare would be cheaper one way vs round trip, gas cost different if riding only in Colorado area vs doing so and than riding back to New York, different shippers charge different amounts and some have timely discounts if one searches well. Accommodations would/could be different if OP decided now would be a good time to ride bike back to New York (additional nights).

A quality shipper (don't us a fly by night) is $620~ each way, so $1,240 for the trip. Plus you will need to allow for the cost of 1-2 additional days (food and accommodations) potentially due to shipping not being guaranteed for specific dates. So $1,240 bare minimum if everything goes like clockwork.

EagleRider in Denver rents R1200RTs, plus Harleys and Indians by the day or week. A one-week RT rental is $109/day x 7 = $763 ($129/day for daily rentals). You'd want insurance on that, but IIRC, it would be under $100 for the week, so say $850 all in plus tax renting, vs 45% more to ship @ $1,240. That's by my math anyway.

Perhaps his $175.00 a day includes all the extras involving a rental...there always seem to be those "fine print" items. And again shipping could be half your total.

I'm thinking $$$ is not primary goal and perhaps time is, but that would need further understanding.

For some this could be a few in a lifetime trip...want to see all possibilities before embarking. Hope OP has an enjoyable - safe - experience whatever combination he decides on.

It definitely is different as indicated. But mentioned experience to offer the food for thought he was asking for. Why would he have to ship both ways? He was invited on a 7 day trip and states he has limited time. However, not sure if his "limited" time is 7, 10, 14 days or whatever. Assume he'd have a minimum, full 9 days (one week + two weekends). Do five days of the 7 day outing and start home on his own bike or do all 7 and start home. Take 4 days to ride home....using a total of 11 days...perhaps his "limited" time would fit that? Maybe finally get that '08 broken in...LOL.

Definitely not the same if you ride your own bike back home. If he choose to approach it differently...airfare would be cheaper one way vs round trip, gas cost different if riding only in Colorado area vs doing so and than riding back to New York, different shippers charge different amounts and some have timely discounts if one searches well. Accommodations would/could be different if OP decided now would be a good time to ride bike back to New York (additional nights).

Perhaps his $175.00 a day includes all the extras involving a rental...there always seem to be those "fine print" items. And again shipping could be half your total.

I'm thinking $$$ is not primary goal and perhaps time is, but that would need further understanding.

For some this could be a few in a lifetime trip...want to see all possibilities before embarking. Hope OP has an enjoyable - safe - experience whatever combination he decides on.

Thank You Both of You for taking the time to respond! The price per day I got was from a BMW dealer in Lakewood, Co. The price was 150 then they charged for bags etc so I figured 175 per day. Their rental inventory is thin and they also rent out Truimphs (Explorer) which is a GS clone. I recently rented out of Las Vegas using Eagle rider (2016 HD Street Glide) and the whole process could not have been smoother! So I will check out their Denver facility.

Just as a side note, I have friends that live in Edwards, Co. We do a ride every year and usually I borrow his '95 RT Classic, but it is currently up for sale so I'm on my own. We have done Glacier National, the Bear Tooth Hwy, Lake Meade and just about every pass in the rockies. This upcoming trip is to the badlands of South Dakota with stops at the regular places in that state.

I only thought about shipping as my GS has not gotten any long distance miles any more (two 8 day trips to Canada) in 08 and 2010. Its just a summer cruiser now.
That being said, I check into the rentals and leave it at that.

Thanks for your help and thoughts !

Paul, EagleRider HQ told me a couple of weeks ago that they expect to have 15 RTs available in Denver by June of this year. Don't know if they wil have any GSs. IIRC, the RT comes with the saddlebags included in their price. Some locations also have top-cases available for the RT. I'm renting from their Denver location in July, so if you do go that route, please let me know how it goes. Looks like they've got the RTWs but pictures aren't always reflective of what is actually available.

I'm hoping (believe) they'll have the GPS Pre-package so my Nav-V will slip right in. Just have to remember to not leave it on the bike when I return it. ;-)

Like you, I rented an Electra Glide in Vegas five weeks ago, and everything was quick, smooth and painless.

Just as a side note, I have friends that live in Edwards, Co. We do a ride every year and usually I borrow his '95 RT Classic, but it is currently up for sale so I'm on my own. We have done Glacier National, the Bear Tooth Hwy, Lake Meade and just about every pass in the rockies. This upcoming trip is to the badlands of South Dakota with stops at the regular places in that state.

Thanks for your help and thoughts !

Since you do this every year and he has a bike you have ridden for sale, why not buy it and have him keep it for you. :)

Good idea Paul.

If that doesn't fit the bill, consider a membership to EagleRider. Then you'll get 12-13 rental days included per year (must be an Club Eagle outlet) for the $29/month membership fee. Your cost for each of those days is the ancillary charges and any insurance you need. Pays for itself with just 3-4 rental days per year, but until they make changes it is just from the Club Eagle outlets.

Since you do this every year and he has a bike you have ridden for sale, why not buy it and have him keep it for you. :)

I have thought about it since I know the history of the bike and put half of its 20K on the clock. I'm just not sure I want to have a '95 as my long distance machine that I use once or twice a year, and I don't get to go out in the garage and look at it! I'm kinda in the heading to retirement stage and thinning out items. Here in the east I have a 08 GS, and a 69 BSA Lightening, with the latter getting maybe 100 miles a year. They are both kept at a relatives garage for the winter since I am now apartment living. The other side is the '95 is mint , its the last year of the airhead so, hopefully it will maintain value.

Good idea Paul.

If that doesn't fit the bill, consider a membership to EagleRider. Then you'll get 12-13 rental days included per year (must be an Club Eagle outlet) for the $29/month membership fee. Your cost for each of those days is the ancillary charges and any insurance you need. Pays for itself with just 3-4 rental days per year, but until they make changes it is just from the Club Eagle outlets.

Yes, I have thought of that as well, two of friends have in fact joined it. However one lives in Vegas, and the other in Tampa. If I get my act together and retire somewhere off of Long Island, then maybe it makes more sense. Thanks

Yes, I have thought of that as well, two of friends have in fact joined it. However one lives in Vegas, and the other in Tampa. If I get my act together and retire somewhere off of Long Island, then maybe it makes more sense. Thanks

Alan, I went ahead and joined inspite of what I previously had written. The local Denver dealer was not getting back to me and after doing the math, I will probably get more riding out of it.

Stay tuned!

Good idea Paul.

Alan, I went ahead and joined inspite of what I previously had written. The local Denver dealer was not getting back to me and after doing the math, I will probably get more riding out of it.

Stay tuned!

Back