• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Broadband phone

LORAZEPAM

leave my monkey alone
has anyone here had any experience with broadband phone? I was looking into iconnect, and wondered if anyone has had issues.
I know I cant dial 911, but I do have a cell phone. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with them.

I just got Vonage and I love it so far. It's $25.00 per month flat which includes all local and unlimited long distance. So I can talk with far away friends as long as I want... :)

I can go to their website and easily forward calls to my cell when I am not in the office, and when I have a voice mail message I get an email with .wav file of the message. This is an optonal/free feature and I love it. LOVE IT!

Any other questions??

I have had broadband phone for a little over a year now. It has been great so far. My provider is Packet8. I chose them because they were the only provider that had local numbers. I pay about $20 a month for unlimited US dialing. It is my second line right now but if it continues to perform well I will drop the POTS line. I have it hooked to the house wireing so all the phones in the house can use it. I also have a UPS connected to the cable modem and phone box so it will work in a power outage.

I think the FCC made E911 dialing manditory so that should not be an issue.

Good luck in your choice.

Jeff

On Vonage since October.
$15/mth for 500 mins and have not gone over that yet.
Old phone bill was $65/mth.
Ported our old land line number over.
Has call display.
Don't have to dial area code for local numbers.
It works great.
911 service works.
We get power outages up here in the mountains
so I bought a battery backup pack to keep the
router and modem powered for a bit.

Do it.

Vonage doesnt cover here, but it looks as though iconnect will supply the phone adapter, and all I need is a router, and I am good to go. guess I will go router shopping. UPS will be on the list too.

i have verizon "broadband phone" and its OK, pretty avearge sound quality and i get 500 unlimited access minutes per month for 19.95. what i did was get dsl with my verizon land line, drop the land line and added the broadband phone service. not as good as a standard line IMHO, but serves the purpose. its more of an emergency thing since i'm in an area of "iffy" cell reception

boxergrrlie said:
... and when I have a voice mail message I get an email with .wav file of the message. This is an optonal/free feature and I love it. LOVE IT!

Push to e-mail is a cool service. Have you ever tried the reverse, where you can listen to your e-mail via your voicemail?

VoIP is just beginning to get cool. I am sitting here working on some marketing stuff about what's coming next.

Location-based and presence services are particularly exciting... wouldn't it be cool if, when out riding, your cellphone told you where your riding partners are?

Ian

Visian said:
Location-based and presence services are particularly exciting... wouldn't it be cool if, when out riding, your cellphone told you where your riding partners are?

Ian

would the NSA share that data with me freely? ;)

Jsut remember when you lose internet you lose the phone unless you have cell. So just something to think about. i am going with Skype for Skype to Skype member calls, it is cheap (free)

We use Skype all the time, more as a backup and a file transfer utility... but it's great.

Looking forward to Skype mobility.

There are lots of bizarre things going on in this space (IP mobility).

skype is a hugely interesting phenomenon. they have the potential to impact the market and the world as much as google.

ian

Can you get caller ID with Vonage? What about voicemail? We are thinking about switching to Vonage, but it all seems sooo confusing to me. :banghead STRESS understands way more than me - I'll have to tell him to read this thread!

Thanks for all the info!!! I LOVE The Forum!!!!!

Vonage

I've been using Vonage for a while now. No problems. I have all the "features" that I paid extra for with SBC for FREE. That includes Caller ID and Voice Mail. In my area 911 is supported. They have a goal of covering that everywhere sooner or later. My SBC bill, before any extra tolls, just the base service and my features was about $50/mo. My $15/mo with Vonage is wonderfull.

DLilah said:
Can you get caller ID with Vonage? What about voicemail? We are thinking about switching to Vonage, but it all seems sooo confusing to me. :banghead STRESS understands way more than me - I'll have to tell him to read this thread!

Thanks for all the info!!! I LOVE The Forum!!!!!

I know nothing about the features, but want to say that I feel more comfortable having at least the backup of the twisted pair buried in the ground. When the wind blows too strong, and the cells go down, and the pole with the cable falls over, come on over and I'll call your mom for you.

Just a thought here, the telephone service has a 99.999% reliability factor and during the East Coast blackout the phones never went down (unless you have cordless with a powered base unit) because it was built before the national grid became a reality, whereas the computers did and the cell towers did. Enforcing a 911 on the broadband guys may not help if the power is out. As I said it is just a thought. That blackout was an anomaly for sure, although they never occur at convenient times.

I am the first one to embrace technology... but I am also a big fan of the POTS technology, cause it has some cool stuff that keeps it running when other stuff fails. (POTS is Plain Ole Telephone Systems or Poor Old Telephone System). I actually contemplated getting a "payphone" line on going with Vonage. A line that is not active but for outgoing calls with either a credit card or toll free. I could not get one.

Back