• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel smell after hard acceleration 2014 R1200RT

fletchdude

I get a very noticeable gas odor after a hard acceleration. I mentioned this to the dealer and they are not sure what could cause this. Anyone else experience this?

I get a very noticeable gas odor after a hard acceleration. I mentioned this to the dealer and they are not sure what could cause this. Anyone else experience this?
Have you double checked the fuel cap to be sure it's fully closed, and that the red sealing ring at its bottom hasn't fallen into the tank? (Only mentioning this because of my own experiences with fuel smell).

Have you double checked the fuel cap to be sure it's fully closed, and that the red sealing ring at its bottom hasn't fallen into the tank? (Only mentioning this because of my own experiences with fuel smell).

Thanks, When the bike gets out of the shop I'll check that. I must admit after refueling I close the cap without any real care. I've never had an issue with previous bikes but maybe I have a sticky cap. Where is the red sealing ring, on the cap or the base?

I have failed to properly snap the tank fill cap back into place at least two times. Both times I thought I was leaking fuel somewhere. I make a solid effort to close it now.

i have also experienced the smell of gas on acceleration. it was simply the gas cover not latched properly. the o ring was fine

Update, I determined this only occurs when the tank is full, or near full. A smooth pull out from a stop doesn't slosh the gas too much but a hard acceleration from a stop, or sometimes at speed, does it. I noticed the cap drain area is dry after filling up but after riding and checking, there is evidence of moisture (gas) that leaked past the cap gasket seal. Cap was verified closed tight, I pushed it real hard and tugged. I took the bike to the dealer and they are ordering a new cap under warranty.

Thanks for the update.
Do you fill higher than the bottom of the tube?

No, I usually don't. Too easy to splash gas on the tank when filling if you go too high. The problem, well at least on my bike, is a failed seal at the cap. Probably could have replaced the seal but I'm getting a new cap which includes the seal. Although rare, they said they saw this before.

New cap fixed the problem. Amazing all the front Tupperware panels have to be removed to change the cap assembly. Those tabs can break off too easily for comfort and I hate to see them touched. I added a powerlet outlet while they were off.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I had the cap and gasket replaced and haven't smelled gas for a long time. Then it happened again recently. Very strong smell of gas after filling up. 30-40 miles later it lessens. Maybe I overfilled it and one of the vent tubes are clogged or pinched.

Update. I needed a new gas tank.

I convinced myself after riding bikes for over 45 years, I knew how to fill a tank. With the help of a friend we tipped the bike on its side in the soft grass and my wife film the result. Gas started dripping out of the fairing onto the ground. This is a safety issue.

I took the bike to a different dealer and showed them the video. They suspected a bad tank as theve seen this before, only once, on another RT. They replaced the tank under warranty. It’s now fine.

Back