• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Touring USA in 2017 Need Ideas !! and feedback

Just an observation on the comments on the high passes in the Rockies. I purchased my S from a gent in Louisville, KY in late April of 2008. Intended to pay a short visit with Iowa family which should have been a one day ride. Took me two days + to get there. After that my plan had been to do a direct ride back to the Seattle area. Blizzards reached from Canada nearly to New Mexico, took me 7 days (6 riding) to get home. Weather can be a problem....Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, before getting back to Washington.

I'd say that weather is definitely going to be an issue in the South Eastern U.S. as well- up in the mountains of Western North Carolina specifically, the weather is often changeable and even unpredictable up into mid May. Western NC has not only the highest peak east of the Rockies, it's also the highest on the east coast. I believe there are something like 80 peaks which are over 6 thousand feet in Western North Carolina alone. It's not as bad as the Rockies, obviously- but weather is still a consideration in the region in Spring and late Spring.

It'd be a shame to come all this way and not be able to ride the Smokies and Appalachians of Northern Georgia, Eastern Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.

And yes, the lower Ozarks, around Hot Springs, Arkansas is good riding as well!

If you come through the SE (Birmingham, AL, to be specific), be sure to allow a full day (maybe more) to visit the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum (barbermuseum.org). It's on CNN's list as one of the 16 sites to visit in 2016. If you like motorcycles, I doubt if you would be disappointed in your visit.

Another great museum is the "Wheels Through Time Museum of American Transportation", located in Maggie Valley, NC. Maggie Valley is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, another great road to ride in the SE United States!

Have a great trip!

On a 3000 mile ride you can get a little bit of everything,weather,pestilence,civil war, thats what makes it fun. If the picture loads,thats me on the Blue ridge parkway on April 20th 2014, couldn't have been nicer. Then it snowed a week later. I still think if I were going to ride through the hill country of Texas I'd want to do it in early April. Texas heat is the only sure thing as far weather goes and its brutal on a bike. I don't know what our Australian friends plans are but if you are going to the GP and then riding from there I say go for it. So many great ways to go and Durango Co. is probably the perfect place to stop and decide 11,000' elevations or the Grand Canyon via Monument Valley. Sh*t, if the timing is right I might have to ride out and meet you to show you the way. It sounds like a great trip. I'm green with envy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 4.08.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 4.08.00 PM.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 222
If it actually turns out you want to buy a bike and can't buy a bike and register it in the US, let me know. I will buy what you want and allow you to use it at a reasonable cost, insurance included. I am not in the business - just a guy in Texas, but if the beaurocrats, (I used to be one) make your goals impossible let me know. We will find a way.

Paul....your generous offer kinda makes me wish I was off continent

if I were going to ride through the hill country of Texas I'd want to do it in early April.

It's our favorite time of year to visit the Texas Hill Country.
Bluebonnets are out that time of year.

SW_of_Llano.JPG

2323.jpg

BeemerBum

I agree with those who think the timing of your adventure may be a bit early. I live in Bismarck, ND and left for Austin, TX on May 2, 2015. I packed every piece of gear I own and, after a beautiful four day ride, wondered why I'd so over prepared. Then, of course, came the return journey 5 days later. I rode in rain up through the panhandle (no big deal) but ended up at a fuel stop next to the Storm Chasers. Not a good sign. I made Garden City, KS that night and monitored tornados to the East of me and snow to the West. Left before dawn and detoured East for a day of cold, wet, windy riding up through central Kansas and Nebraska to Pierre, SD where I spent two nights at the Comfort Inn until road conditions (snow) would allow me the ride home. Glad I'd packed all that gear, including an extra pair of gloves.

A great adventure, but indicative of Spring in the Midwest. The mountains can only be more challenging.

Butler Maps

In your first post you asked about how to find good roads to ride. While there's no substitute for riding with someone with local knowledge of which roads are best for motorcycling, an excellent alternative is to use Butler Maps. These are designed specifically for motorcyclists and color code which roads are "good", "better" and "best". They also offer suggestion on "recommended dirt and gravel roads. While the maps do not cover all states, they do cover huge areas in the western, southeastern and northeastern US.

I've used them extensively in the Rockies, Ozarks and southern Appalachians and have always found them to be a great resource.

Go here...https://www.butlermaps.com/

FWIW, paying nearly $10,000 to rent a bike for 8 weeks sounds crazy. Buying and reselling is a much smarter idea if you can work through the licensing and insurance process.

And while I'm at it, I'd discourage you from planning a ride in the Rockies before June....summer and fall (mid June to early October) are much safer bets weather wise. OTOH, the southern Appalachians (northern Georgia, western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee) however, can be ridden year round and anytime after April should be a breeze. The area offers fantastic roads, gorgeous scenery and great food.

A long time ago I shipped my BMW from Germany to Fort Worth, TX. I could even fly in the same plane. I don't know which airline still does it and current costs. But was nice to ride on my own bike for six weeks. Maybe split the shipping between by air and by sea.

/Guenther

In my opinion, renting a bike in Florida and dropping it off in Montana would be almost impossible to do. Most of the auto rental companies are large. But, they only rent cars and trucks. The bike rental companies are few and far between. I only know of a few BMW rental companies in the United States. They are usually single location rental companies, and you have to return it to the same location. Most rental companies have a 30 day maximum. Not impossible, but very difficult to do.

Buying a bike has it own problems too. Who knows what kind of problems you would encounter. Selling it in Montana would be difficult too. Not too many BMW dealers there.

I would take Paul Glaves up on his generous offer. It is the easiest, cheapest, and least problematic. Fly in and ride away. Instead of dealing with bureaucratic problems, you can spend your time riding and planning where you want to go.

Starting in Florida and ending in Montana is long trip. Maybe too long. Starting in Texas and going to Montana and then returning is a better plan.

Starting in March is way too early. I would change it from March/April to June/July. Most of the good roads in Montana do not even open up until around July 1st. The MOA rally is mid July.

As for places to see, you might want to put some of the National Parks on your list. Places like Arches National Park in Uath, Yellowstone In Wyoming, Glacier National Park in NW Montana, and Yosemite in California. Very easy to spend a week in each park. Colorado also has some nice roads. Also consider Lake Tahoe. There are many passes from Lake Tahoe down to Yosemite. The Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park is exceptional. So is the Beartooth highway out of Yellowstone. My favorite place to visit is Western Montana.

Once you have an idea of places you would like to visit let people suggest places to visit in that area.

There are campgrounds just about everywhere in the United States. No problem getting a motel either. Some of the National Parks have hotels, but availability can be challenging. Reservations in the National Parks should be done early. If you like hiking, Glacier National Park has some of the best hiking in the country. They also have two chalets in the backcountry that are exceptional. Demand for them is high for the chalets, and they are usually booked within 24 hours of it opening for reservations in the beginning of January.

I hope Patric finds his way back to this site and reads the good information provided.
His last visit was 30 minutes after he posted.

Usa 2017

Definitely bring your Anonymous Book!

When problems pop up, or just for advice, there's nothing like it.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/general/custom.asp?page=abook

Voni
sMiling

I live in Oklahoma and have ridden all over this area and car-toured even farther out. If you do indeed start in Austin and head to Montana, detour through Arkansas and do some riding in the Ozarks. If you like the twisties, it is hard to beat that area. Plenty of specifics in the Ride Reports forum or I'll be happy to make suggestions. AR is a four hour ride from me and I go there a couple of times a year.

There are indeed many places to camp (state parks, national forest campgrounds, etc.) all along the route, with varying levels of amenities. Some will just have primitive toilets, many will have showers and flush toilets.

It is not too difficult to buy in one state and sell in another. I have done it several times and can only speak to the specifics I have encountered. And I am a citizen of the US and a resident of the areas in which I have titled my vehicles -- that may be a vastly different proposition for a non-resident. But the system in each state is set up to handle it. The bigger issue would be -- is the used bike you purchase ready for a several thousand mile trip? Do you have the chops or finances to handle problems along the way with minimal dealer support (it's a big country with few dealers in the middle...)?

Sounds like a FUN adventure. I retire in less than five years and intend to do the same!

I was not sure any company provided nationwide one-way rentals, but I did find that Eagle Rider does offer that option, from some franchisees. I was happy with them the one time I rented from them for a couple days in California. At their web site, eaglerider.com, you can enter a few parameters and they will give you an online quote. Curious, I threw a some random dates and locations at it.

Pickup in Orlando, Florida on March 8, drop off in Billings, Montana on May 3, RT1200, unlimited mileage, "free" panniers, helmet, disc or cable lock, ~$9740 USD. Includes ~$500 for ten days of "Bike Week surcharge", and $595 drop off fee. One of several levels of insurance is additional.

The site shows a $18/day(!) fee to guarantee you receive the specific model of bike you've reserved. Otherwise they can substitute a bike of the same "class". I did not realize an RT was in the same sport touring class as a Triumph Tiger! :dunno

rhs-cb2-tigerxrx-black%20copy.png

Here's a rental company in Dallas Texas.
http://www.sportryderrentals.com/

Another one in Austin.
http://lonestarmotorentals.squarespace.com/

I would strongly recommend looking into shipping your own bike.

My wife and I have now completed two motorcycle trips to the US from Australia (Sydney) and shipped our bikes each time.
We go for 5 weeks and the costs are dramatically lower for freight including all on-costs, than to hire a comparable bike for the same period.
First time the bikes traveled by sea each way, and the second they went air outbound and sea return. From WA to the East Coast US will be more expensive, but not a patch on hiring for 8 weeks. We are heading back next year and are going to look at air each way. Higher cost but they get there in 48 hours not 4 weeks.

Having your own bike is priceless, but more importantly there are so many less obvious costs and limitations when hiring.
Insurance is an important one, both for the bike but also for your travel insurance. We ride a little off-road (R1200GS) on our travels in the US, but on a K I guess that may be less of an issue for you.
If you do decide to ship, I recommend connecting with one of the local BMW dealers so that the bikes can be received and checked before you arrive. That way you spend less time on the handling and more time riding. We get our local dealer to crate the bikes here and one in Long Beach to uncrate on arrival. If you are not in a hurry, you can manage a large part of the shipping and receiving yourself and save more money.

However you get there and whatever you end up riding, you will have a blast. Riding in the US is such a pleasure with the diversity and quality of the roads, not to mention the amazing people.

Seeing that you know your starting point, I would start by contacting BMW dealers in the general area and see what they have in K bikes used. You may be able to come to a deal on buying a bike/selling the bike. You get a bike you know is serviced and ready to go. With rental cost, I would think a dealer could accommodate you and save you a good deal of money in the long run. I've travelled extensively from Texas thru Montana and to the west coast. April can be quite nice weather-wise but lots of high elevation subjects you to a chance for snow as late as early June. If you're not on a tight schedule you can easily wait out that type of weather or re-route. Of course a southwest route from Austin would have great scenery/roads/weather that time of year. Good luck and travel safely!

Wow, that's pretty crazy. You can buy a nice used RT for $9740 and sell it for $8000 all day long when you're done. I would have to think that their long-term rental rates might be negotiable.

The time of year might be a bit early for cross-country touring. Daytona can even be pretty chilly at that time of year, and then heading north will just get colder. Here in the mid east coast, April and May are gorgeous but Spring in the Rockies is probably going to be a mess of gravelled and salted roads, if not snow.

Bottom line is you're going to pay a huge price (IMO cost prohibitive) to rent for that long of a period of time.

I would either ship your own bike or pre-negotiate a buy and buy back from a dealer, but IDK how you'd start and end at a different dealership?

Buying a bike and then selling it yourself seems kind of difficult to accomplish.
What if you have to leave for home and the bike isn't sold? What do you do with it?

One thing to look into - as an Australian (alien) you may not be able to buy a bike in the US and certainly can't register it.
Last time we were there, we found ourselves at a dealership in Colorado and were amazed to see how much less expensive BMW bikes are than in Oz. The dealer was very clear however to say that he couldn't sell us a bike because we did not hold a local (US) address. It's also worth checking if you can get insurance for a bike you buy in the US.

When we take our bikes to the US we need to get special non-resident (alien) insurance which costs more for 2 months than anyone would pay for a year - but that's just part of the costs.
Insurance is a minefield in so many ways. We here in Australia have a simple definition for total cover called "comprehensive". In the US that word mean something different and doesn't include collision damage. Then there are the things like - no cover for striking animals (deer etc.), under insured driver cover, and it goes on.

It's all very complex but it is doable.

Patrick,

Re-reading your original email, I also wanted to answer a couple of other questions that you asked. You sound a lot like I did when we were first trying to plan our original trip to the US.

Regarding accommodation - we stay in Best Western Hotels almost exclusively but that is not for everyone and not what everyone wants either style or cost wise. There is a range of camping options and I've heard great things about KOA. They have levels of accommodation from a patch of ground to small cabin style I think.

One thing to keep in mind and I think someone has already mentioned it, is at the time you are talking about (March - April) you will definitely strike issues with roads closed because of snow. Some of the most amazing mountain passes don't open until late May or June or even later some years. We timed our first trip to allow us to ride the Beartooth Pass and Highway in Montana/Wyoming and it was only open the day before we got there (late May). We have always had Going To The Sun Road on our list too, but it is never open early in the season. Just crossing the Sierra Nevada in May/June can be a gamble. Places in Colorado are equally tenuous earlier than June.
It's a fine balance though, if you leave it later in the season, then the southern and central desert regions can get prohibitively hot. On our last trip we rode Death Valley and across Nevada and it maxed out at 33C/91F but two weeks later it was 46C/115F on the same roads.

Regarding just how to choose which roads to ride, there are lots of resources. Butler Maps are a great resource (bit old school in that they are physical maps) but some people love that. Other things to try are the various web sites like Motorcycle Roads USA www.motorcycleroads.com/ (just search for "motorcycling roads in the US" and you will find others).
We use a combination of Google Maps, Google Street View, Butler Maps, various web sites and then the wealth of experience on this forum. Map out where you think you will go and post the link to this group and people will chime in with "great choice but swing past here", or "that's dead boring", or "detour around here". We go to great lengths to stay off interstates and are happy to venture onto little back roads. Unlike Australia, back-roads in the US are more often than not well maintained and a thrill to ride (no or little traffic).

There are lots of things to know and learn, but some of these you will only get after your first trip. Believe me, your first will not be your last so the first ride is like a test run for the ones that will follow.

If you're riding out in the western U.S. you must prepare for anything on your ride, even on a nice sunny day! I was in Montana one June, and even though it was a nice sunny 45-50 degrees in the town I was staying in, When I hit the road it changed fast and changed often all day long due to the changes in elevation. Even though it was very pleasant in many sunny places, as soon as I climbed higher, I found myself in heavy snow squalls that were moving through. A big surprise and learning experience for this east coast boy!

Buy a R1100s in Austin, probably $4000.00 US, watch the GP in April maybe Jack Miller will win. Ride the hill country, April is the perfect month for Texas. Then you have to back track north east to Arkansas and get up in to the Ozarks, find the Hogs tail ride it, go towards Missouri and find hwy 160 or stay in Arkansas and ride the 412 hard to lose in the Ozarks. Better to deal with a little cold than the tornado season. Assuming at some point you are headed west you are going to have to deal with Oklahoma or Kansas, both kind of flat but still pretty in there own way,especially in the spring. I would lean towards Oklahoma and go through the panhandle . Kenton Ok. is decision time, thats where you have to start looking at weather. I've done the Rockies in the spring, can be dicey maybe you should buy a GS. Bottom line is for the cost of a rental you can buy 2000 to 2004 oilhead which is relatively reliable and sell it or ship it home when you are done. Craigslist is in every town and if the price is right Oilheads go quick. Maybe check out the OA marketplace and buy a vintage airhead from a member and ship it back when you are done, it won't be worth less unless something catastrophic happens. I personally guarantee an epic ride. If you make it to Cali. give me call I'm in the big book. I was just looking at a map and remembering what an epic road hwy. 160 is through the Ozarks flat as Hell in Kansas but it ends in Durango Co. which will put you at the bottom of the Million dollar hwy. You will definitelly get some weather there but it is an amazing road.

As far as buying a bike I don't think its a problem. I have bought and registered cars and bikes in other states I was working in without a problem but I had a mailing address. Do you have any friends or relatives in the states? How long are you here for? I bought a used bike from a dealer in North Carolina and they handled the paperwork, it was stupid expensive that way. I bought a car in Tennesee from a private party and did it myself and it couldn't have been easier. Living in Cali you get used to the seventh level of hell that is the Ca. dmv. Tennessee rocks,paid my 50 bucks and they handed me a plate and I was on my way. I drove that car in California with Tennessee plates until they expired. Citizenship never came up. Mailing address and insurance was all anybody was interested in. Most states have a period of time before you have to take care of transfer and registration,usually 15 to 30 days, if that coincides with your trip, buy the bike,enjoy the ride, keep the signed off title, bill of sale and most important proof of insurance close by, dont go faster than 85 mph and you should be OK. People buy and sell bikes across borders,state lines all the time, a lot of the time buy ride sell without ever transferring the title,not exactly legal but if you don't get pulled over not a problem and if you do just explain the situation to the local state trooper,he's not going to throw you in jail if you have insurance. I don't know how that works with an international license but in my experience lack of insurance is what gets you in trouble with the law.

If it actually turns out you want to buy a bike and can't buy a bike and register it in the US, let me know. I will buy what you want and allow you to use it at a reasonable cost, insurance included. I am not in the business - just a guy in Texas, but if the beaurocrats, (I used to be one) make your goals impossible let me know. We will find a way.

That is very nice of you Paul!:clap
Would be nice if they could find some riding
mates as well.

I am in Canada and up to Nov 8th, I'm still welcome in the USA. Pending the outcome of this particularly entertaining US election process, I'm not sure that wall that some want built will be too much for me to hurdle.

On that note, Canada has all that and then some to make your trip equally fantastic.

GO CANADA!

Just an observation on the comments on the high passes in the Rockies. I purchased my S from a gent in Louisville, KY in late April of 2008. Intended to pay a short visit with Iowa family which should have been a one day ride. Took me two days + to get there. After that my plan had been to do a direct ride back to the Seattle area. Blizzards reached from Canada nearly to New Mexico, took me 7 days (6 riding) to get home. Weather can be a problem....Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, before getting back to Washington.

Amazing offer and solution Paul! :thumb

I'd say that weather is definitely going to be an issue in the South Eastern U.S. as well- up in the mountains of Western North Carolina specifically, the weather is often changeable and even unpredictable up into mid May. Western NC has not only the highest peak east of the Rockies, it's also the highest on the east coast. I believe there are something like 80 peaks which are over 6 thousand feet in Western North Carolina alone. It's not as bad as the Rockies, obviously- but weather is still a consideration in the region in Spring and late Spring.

It'd be a shame to come all this way and not be able to ride the Smokies and Appalachians of Northern Georgia, Eastern Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.

And yes, the lower Ozarks, around Hot Springs, Arkansas is good riding as well!

If you come through the SE (Birmingham, AL, to be specific), be sure to allow a full day (maybe more) to visit the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum (barbermuseum.org). It's on CNN's list as one of the 16 sites to visit in 2016. If you like motorcycles, I doubt if you would be disappointed in your visit.

Another great museum is the "Wheels Through Time Museum of American Transportation", located in Maggie Valley, NC. Maggie Valley is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, another great road to ride in the SE United States!

Have a great trip!

On a 3000 mile ride you can get a little bit of everything,weather,pestilence,civil war, thats what makes it fun. If the picture loads,thats me on the Blue ridge parkway on April 20th 2014, couldn't have been nicer. Then it snowed a week later. I still think if I were going to ride through the hill country of Texas I'd want to do it in early April. Texas heat is the only sure thing as far weather goes and its brutal on a bike. I don't know what our Australian friends plans are but if you are going to the GP and then riding from there I say go for it. So many great ways to go and Durango Co. is probably the perfect place to stop and decide 11,000' elevations or the Grand Canyon via Monument Valley. Sh*t, if the timing is right I might have to ride out and meet you to show you the way. It sounds like a great trip. I'm green with envy.

Paul....your generous offer kinda makes me wish I was off continent

It's our favorite time of year to visit the Texas Hill Country.
Bluebonnets are out that time of year.

SW_of_Llano.JPG

2323.jpg

I agree with those who think the timing of your adventure may be a bit early. I live in Bismarck, ND and left for Austin, TX on May 2, 2015. I packed every piece of gear I own and, after a beautiful four day ride, wondered why I'd so over prepared. Then, of course, came the return journey 5 days later. I rode in rain up through the panhandle (no big deal) but ended up at a fuel stop next to the Storm Chasers. Not a good sign. I made Garden City, KS that night and monitored tornados to the East of me and snow to the West. Left before dawn and detoured East for a day of cold, wet, windy riding up through central Kansas and Nebraska to Pierre, SD where I spent two nights at the Comfort Inn until road conditions (snow) would allow me the ride home. Glad I'd packed all that gear, including an extra pair of gloves.

A great adventure, but indicative of Spring in the Midwest. The mountains can only be more challenging.

In your first post you asked about how to find good roads to ride. While there's no substitute for riding with someone with local knowledge of which roads are best for motorcycling, an excellent alternative is to use Butler Maps. These are designed specifically for motorcyclists and color code which roads are "good", "better" and "best". They also offer suggestion on "recommended dirt and gravel roads. While the maps do not cover all states, they do cover huge areas in the western, southeastern and northeastern US.

I've used them extensively in the Rockies, Ozarks and southern Appalachians and have always found them to be a great resource.

Go here...https://www.butlermaps.com/

FWIW, paying nearly $10,000 to rent a bike for 8 weeks sounds crazy. Buying and reselling is a much smarter idea if you can work through the licensing and insurance process.

And while I'm at it, I'd discourage you from planning a ride in the Rockies before June....summer and fall (mid June to early October) are much safer bets weather wise. OTOH, the southern Appalachians (northern Georgia, western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee) however, can be ridden year round and anytime after April should be a breeze. The area offers fantastic roads, gorgeous scenery and great food.

I agree, try to buy a bike, then sell it.

A long time ago I shipped my BMW from Germany to Fort Worth, TX. I could even fly in the same plane. I don't know which airline still does it and current costs. But was nice to ride on my own bike for six weeks. Maybe split the shipping between by air and by sea.

/Guenther

Come to PEI Canada in July and you'll have masses of blue lupins to go with your lupin blue!

In my opinion, renting a bike in Florida and dropping it off in Montana would be almost impossible to do. Most of the auto rental companies are large. But, they only rent cars and trucks. The bike rental companies are few and far between. I only know of a few BMW rental companies in the United States. They are usually single location rental companies, and you have to return it to the same location. Most rental companies have a 30 day maximum. Not impossible, but very difficult to do.

Buying a bike has it own problems too. Who knows what kind of problems you would encounter. Selling it in Montana would be difficult too. Not too many BMW dealers there.

I would take Paul Glaves up on his generous offer. It is the easiest, cheapest, and least problematic. Fly in and ride away. Instead of dealing with bureaucratic problems, you can spend your time riding and planning where you want to go.

Starting in Florida and ending in Montana is long trip. Maybe too long. Starting in Texas and going to Montana and then returning is a better plan.

Starting in March is way too early. I would change it from March/April to June/July. Most of the good roads in Montana do not even open up until around July 1st. The MOA rally is mid July.

As for places to see, you might want to put some of the National Parks on your list. Places like Arches National Park in Uath, Yellowstone In Wyoming, Glacier National Park in NW Montana, and Yosemite in California. Very easy to spend a week in each park. Colorado also has some nice roads. Also consider Lake Tahoe. There are many passes from Lake Tahoe down to Yosemite. The Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park is exceptional. So is the Beartooth highway out of Yellowstone. My favorite place to visit is Western Montana.

Once you have an idea of places you would like to visit let people suggest places to visit in that area.

There are campgrounds just about everywhere in the United States. No problem getting a motel either. Some of the National Parks have hotels, but availability can be challenging. Reservations in the National Parks should be done early. If you like hiking, Glacier National Park has some of the best hiking in the country. They also have two chalets in the backcountry that are exceptional. Demand for them is high for the chalets, and they are usually booked within 24 hours of it opening for reservations in the beginning of January.

I hope Patric finds his way back to this site and reads the good information provided.
His last visit was 30 minutes after he posted.

Thank you all so very much for your invaluable information that you each have given me in these threads.
I have set my departure date back to April 10 with me shipping my cycle across to LA and riding to reach Austin in time for the Moto GP and then spending time in the Texas Hills before heading East. Plan to reach Colarado in June and take my chances up to Montana and back down 101 to get back to LA by July 10.

I have looked at Butler Maps and a trip planner called Rever along with buying a Garmin 395 which I can dial up roads.
So hopefully as I travel our paths cross
Thanks again for the great information
Cheers
Patric

Bon Voyage!

And when you get to the Big Bend of Texas, look us up!

Voni
sMiling

Eaglerider also offers a membership program where they include a couple days of free rentals and discounts on others. While Eaglerider doesn't operate in OZ, as far as I'm aware for you to take advantage of the yearly membership, the savings alone by joining may make it worth your while to consider a yearly membership, if only for the 8 weeks you'll be here. They also offer insurance when you rent from them, so it may be worth looking in to.

I was not sure any company provided nationwide one-way rentals, but I did find that Eagle Rider does offer that option, from some franchisees. I was happy with them the one time I rented from them for a couple days in California. At their web site, eaglerider.com, you can enter a few parameters and they will give you an online quote. Curious, I threw a some random dates and locations at it.

Pickup in Orlando, Florida on March 8, drop off in Billings, Montana on May 3, RT1200, unlimited mileage, "free" panniers, helmet, disc or cable lock, ~$9740 USD. Includes ~$500 for ten days of "Bike Week surcharge", and $595 drop off fee. One of several levels of insurance is additional.

The site shows a $18/day(!) fee to guarantee you receive the specific model of bike you've reserved. Otherwise they can substitute a bike of the same "class". I did not realize an RT was in the same sport touring class as a Triumph Tiger! :dunno

rhs-cb2-tigerxrx-black%20copy.png

3 Cheers for Paul! What a thoughtful and generous offer...you really are some kind of guy. Thanks for all that you do to contribute/assist the forum members here. I know I speak for everyone here when I say, this forum simply would not be the same without you. :clap

Patric,

You mentioned driving down the 101 to drop off in LA. I assume you're referring to Los Angeles and not the State of Louisiana. , so I just wanted to extend an invitation to you. I live on the California Central Coast near San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach area and Hwy 101 runs right through the area where I live. There are some very scenic and truly captivating roads along the central coast, some of the best California has to offer in my opinion. Please keep me in mind on your return trip to LA. I'd be happy to meet up with you along 101, and ride with you to LA. I'm from SoCal and know the area well, so I can help you navigate to where you're going. So unless the "LA" you were referring to is the State of Louisiana and the 101 you're referring to is a different highway altogether, consider yourself as having a riding partner if you want one, or if you simply need help along your route, please let me know. PM sent with my contact information.

Thank you all so very much for your invaluable information that you each have given me in these threads.
I have set my departure date back to April 10 with me shipping my cycle across to LA and riding to reach Austin in time for the Moto GP and then spending time in the Texas Hills before heading East. Plan to reach Colarado in June and take my chances up to Montana and back down 101 to get back to LA by July 10.

I have looked at Butler Maps and a trip planner called Rever along with buying a Garmin 395 which I can dial up roads.
So hopefully as I travel our paths cross
Thanks again for the great information
Cheers
Patric

Bon Voyage!

And when you get to the Big Bend of Texas, look us up!

Voni
sMiling

Thanks Voni, Big Bend it is on my trip list a few days before I get to the Moto GP in Austin, 3 weeks to go, I land in LA on the 9th and have 5000ks ahead of me to Austin (taking a few detours)

All the best
Patric

Back