• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where do you attach your cell phone

buckey

I have just purchased a new 2016 R1200RT (coming off of a 2004 R1150RT). I would like to know where fellow riders are attaching their cell phones. I have added the illum barbacks and I have a bluetooth ready helmet. I think if I add a ram mount to the barbacks it will obscure my view of the odometer and/or the speedometer. I would like to place it above the gas cap, but how do I get it to stay in place without velcro which would be ugly when the phone is not attached?

I usually put mine in the small tail case that usually stays on the bike. I really have no need to have my phone "handy" while I'm riding and if I really need to make/take a call it can all be done through the bikes Nav unit.

I keep mine in a small Pelican case inside the trunk. All phone/music functions are handled through Siri and bluetooth headset.

I am sorry, how do you see who is calling. BTW, I only answer my wife if I am not on a busy road. And I was trying to get around having to take a tank bag every time I went out.

Last edited:
A non-answer

I don't have a new RT (yet), so I can't offer an answer to your original question. I will make one comment, though. I keep my phone in a pocket so I can get to it if I happen to part company with my bike and need to summon help. If you use your phone for navigation or have some other reason to attach it to the bike, maybe consider getting one of those cheap, no-feature phones to keep on your body as a backup.

It seems like there are a ton of mounting options from Ram Mounts, et al. Surely someone makes a mount for your phone that can either work on your bars, tank bag, or elsewhere.

Sorry I couldn't offer specific help. Good luck, and enjoy the new ride!

I am sorry, how do you see who is calling. BTW, I only answer my wife if I am not on a busy road. And I was trying to get around having to take a tank bag every time I went out.

I set up special ringtones for my wife, kids, and a few select pals. If they call and it's safe to answer, I'll take it. If it's anyone else, or if there is any safety issue, it goes to voicemail.

In my jacket pocket.

I see who's calling on my NAV IV screen (on the rare occasion when the sun's directly behind and I can see anything in the dashboard area).

Bunker - I have been thrown from a non-abs before (no, I wasn't on the phone) that is a good idea, I will purchase a cheap go-phone with prepaid minutes.

In my jacket pocket.

I see who's calling on my NAV IV screen (on the rare occasion when the sun's directly behind and I can see anything in the dashboard area).

Question, is this only if you have an iphone, or will a samsung appear on the NAV IV Screen. I will read that part of the manual, i just did not think it was an option.

I set up special ringtones for my wife, kids, and a few select pals. If they call and it's safe to answer, I'll take it. If it's anyone else, or if there is any safety issue, it goes to voicemail.

did not even think of setting up different ring tones, that is a good idea and I will keep the phone in the trunk if I can't figure out how to "affix" a "plastic" cell phone to a "plastic" tank without using ugly velcro.

BTW - LOVE the RT

I keep my android phone in my pocket. It's connected to my Nav V.
I can see who's calling. I usually don't answer while riding. I'll call back when I can do so safely.

I keep my android phone in my pocket. It's connected to my Nav V.
I can see who's calling. I usually don't answer while riding. I'll call back when I can do so safely.

I have an android phone; a sena 20s bluetooth on my helmet. can i program my Nav V. to see who is calling or does this only work with the BMW sponsored Schuberth product?

I like to keep it in the right glove box, I plug it in, it charges the phone so no need to carry extra stuff. I don't have the calls come in to the Nav V but do have the weather apt. I don't want the distraction of knowing I have call to make or take. It's a Galaxy s7. So say you should carry the phone on your person in the event of a get off...

Jay

If the RT does not have a good place for a permanent Ram Ball, a Ram Claw may work.
http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-to...ease-clamp-base-1-inch-b-ball-rap-b-400u.html

1441388788000_1179687.jpg

Mine is either in a pocket or in my topcase. Turned off. Calls go to voice mail. When I stop I check messages. In a car inattentive driving may cause damage. On a bike it is more likely to hurt or kill the rider. I do not delude myself into thinking I am different and superior so can use the phone without distraction. I hate it when I see it and simply won't do it.

Mine is either in a pocket or in my topcase. Turned off. Calls go to voice mail. When I stop I check messages. In a car inattentive driving may cause damage. On a bike it is more likely to hurt or kill the rider. I do not delude myself into thinking I am different and superior so can use the phone without distraction. I hate it when I see it and simply won't do it.

Agreed. It wasn't a phone, but trying to look at a car GPS in driving rain on the freeway while riding. It's amazing the amount of time you spend distracted...and the distance you travel...without realizing it. In my case, I realized that in a second, I would be off the road. The freeway turned and I wasn't. Obviously, I caught myself in time, but it was a wake me up "call". ;)

Chris

If you replace the bar clamps for your clutch/brake controls with the GS clamp you get two mirror holes to mount any number of things, toll pass, Spot, mirrors, etc. I've used the RAM X-Grip when I want to use a NAV app on the phone.

I use a Ram Quick Grip on my bicycles.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2qqTvRDQEf0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you replace the bar clamps for your clutch/brake controls with the GS clamp you get two mirror holes to mount any number of things, toll pass, Spot, mirrors, etc. I've used the RAM X-Grip when I want to use a NAV app on the phone.

The GS clamps from Wonderlich (or was it Touratech?) are nice and sold by the pair for a bit more than a single side from BMW.

I use a RAM ball-on-a-stud in the mounting hole. Had to special order the coarse thread one if memory serves. RAM does not inventory stuff, saves up orders until enough for a production run. That's the story I was told by a local and reputable dealer.

Back