• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Aerostitch Regular Suit vs Light Experience?

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
I have the regular weight 2-piece. Have crossed to the Pacific and back with it twice. In mountains, have used an electric vest in the morning and rain, baked in 40 degree C temp in the afternoon.

I am considering the Light, mainly for those high temp days (and summer has high humidity here near Toronto).

This year, I have used an old mesh jacket a lot because of extreme heat up here - lots of heat alerts.

So, l am looking for comments by those who actually have the light suit.

I have the regular weight 2-piece. Have crossed to the Pacific and back with it twice. In mountains, have used an electric vest in the morning and rain, baked in 40 degree C temp in the afternoon.

I am considering the Light, mainly for those high temp days (and summer has high humidity here near Toronto).

This year, I have used an old mesh jacket a lot because of extreme heat up here - lots of heat alerts.

Just curious, what qualifies as a heat alert in the frozen north?

I have a classic Roadcrafter one piece and an R3 Light one piece Roadcrafter. The Classic is my go-to gear for weather I know won't likely ever get above 75 degrees. The R3 light is what I use in warmer temps, depending on just how hot and what bike. My Suzuki V Strom allows more air to get into the vents/sleeves and up my pants legs when I hold them out on the highway pegs. As long as you are moving, the light version is tolerable at 90 degrees on the V strom, but not so much on the RT. I wonder about how the crash protection compares, but there is crash evidence that shows the light version is still very good in abrasion. Bottom line is that the R3 light is probably 15 degrees cooler. But that also means it is cooler when cold outside temps are present. It is a LOT lighter! Getting into the R3 series, either the light or regular weight, takes a bit of getting used to. The armor is not protected by the inner liner and you can catch a foot or arm on it. But, I now don't even notice that and it goes on faster than the classic as it is lighter to fool with. I have a hybrid Veskimo cooling system that I run in 85+ temps. I rode in 103 temps in the R3 light with the cooling system. While my torso and arms were just fine, the legs felt like they were wrapped in black plastic bags while I lay in the sun! That is the ONLY reason I don't ride all the time in these Aerostich suits, there is simply NO venting for the thigh area. Just cannot stand that heat for long. I have a two piece Motoport kevlar mesh that is my warm/hot go to suit. I sometimes take the R3 light along with the Motoport if I have room.

From Environment Canada:

Issued when 2 consecutive days of daytime maximum temperatures are expected to reach 31°C or more and nighttime minimum temperatures are expected to fall to 20°C or more.
Or
Issued when 2 consecutive days of humidex values are expected to reach 40 or more.

I can't comment on the light version, but I can on the regular version with 23 years having used two of them. I now have the Klim Latitude and can say the ventilation is far better on the Klim and I was sitting in 36C temperatures (not humidex) this past June. In comparison, I do not find the Aerostich very well ventilated. That comparison based on the same ambient temperatures and humidity.

When you are stopped, no degree of ventilation works, unless you have one hell of a breeze blowing.

I'm in Ontario as well and I switch to mesh generally around the end of May and back to non-mesh (usually) in September, though I'm still on the mesh so far this month. Can't speak specifically about the 'stitch, but that's what I do and I survive. Also, on the heat alert days I generally will take a hydration bladder for the commute (75km each way) just in case I'm getting stuck in traffic.

Forzen North - a misnomer

I was ten years old, it was July in Toronto, 1955. I was on the main street, Yonge street, the longest street in the world, I understand, when I saw a car with Texas plates, with skis in top. It was 105 F that day, I was there buying some electronic stuff - later became an electrical engineer.

Funny at the time, still funny.

We are not really the frozen north just north of Buffulo.

Perfect Response! Thanks

I have a classic Roadcrafter one piece and an R3 Light one piece Roadcrafter. The Classic is my go-to gear for weather I know won't likely ever get above 75 degrees. The R3 light is what I use in warmer temps, depending on just how hot and what bike. My Suzuki V Strom allows more air to get into the vents/sleeves and up my pants legs when I hold them out on the highway pegs. As long as you are moving, the light version is tolerable at 90 degrees on the V strom, but not so much on the RT. I wonder about how the crash protection compares, but there is crash evidence that shows the light version is still very good in abrasion. Bottom line is that the R3 light is probably 15 degrees cooler. But that also means it is cooler when cold outside temps are present. It is a LOT lighter! Getting into the R3 series, either the light or regular weight, takes a bit of getting used to. The armor is not protected by the inner liner and you can catch a foot or arm on it. But, I now don't even notice that and it goes on faster than the classic as it is lighter to fool with. I have a hybrid Veskimo cooling system that I run in 85+ temps. I rode in 103 temps in the R3 light with the cooling system. While my torso and arms were just fine, the legs felt like they were wrapped in black plastic bags while I lay in the sun! That is the ONLY reason I don't ride all the time in these Aerostich suits, there is simply NO venting for the thigh area. Just cannot stand that heat for long. I have a two piece Motoport kevlar mesh that is my warm/hot go to suit. I sometimes take the R3 light along with the Motoport if I have room.

Great info.

I went for a ride today in hot humid conditions in my regular weight suite. I did survive. and with wearing shorts under the suit, no problem. Too hot, yes, but not crazy hot and the ambient was high, about 30 C.

I may stick with what I have. Seems personal tolerance might be the determinant. Still, at 71, I may just say, buy the light, be more comfortable. Not everyone can affort that.

I purchased the Darian Light jacket this year and it is OK as long as the humidity is not too bad, but other than that, I don't feel it is the best for hot weather riding. Planning on going back to some type of mesh next year. I found that I use some of those arm coverings that LD Comfort makes, it helps, but other than that, over 90 degrees whether moving or not, it's not the best. The material around the collar is not all that pleasant, and it could use some better ventilation in the arms. (JMO) I went through one really serious rain storm just recently for about 100 miles of freeway driving and found that my t-shirt got wet from the bottom up , so more experimentation will happen in the future to see if it just soaked up water by sticking out inadvertently or if the front sipper allowed water to get in... We'll see. So far, not satisfied with the jacket as it is a premium cost and had to pay an extra $60.00 or so for the back protector, which I thought was included in the original price. YRMV.

Great info.

I went for a ride today in hot humid conditions in my regular weight suite. I did survive. and with wearing shorts under the suit, no problem. Too hot, yes, but not crazy hot and the ambient was high, about 30 C.

I may stick with what I have. Seems personal tolerance might be the determinant. Still, at 71, I may just say, buy the light, be more comfortable. Not everyone can affort that.

After thinking on this, especially since I seem to be the only response that has a "light" or both suits, I have to say I don't think buying an R3 Light will be worth the cost if you are only wanting hot weather comfort. It just isn't there with either suit. Now I know you can ride in shorts and shirt and get by, drink fluids and survive. But even with my Veskimo system my legs are just too uncomfortable while in either Aerostich. Same would apply to Klim or other gear ( I have the latest Olympia Ranger jacket with excellent venting ). For the price of a new R3 light you can have a custom fit Motoport one or two piece mesh Kevlar suit. That is the only mesh gear that is without a doubt better protection than even an Aerostich suit. While some will tell you that really hot temps mean mesh won't work, I say BS. Riding behind a fairing and good windscreen make a difference in that. I agree that you can open the sleeves and legs of an Aerostich in really hot weather and funnel air into the suit and be comfortable. But that is because you are sweating anyway and the evaporation is what cools you. What I do know from experience is that riding in a non mesh suit and getting in slow/stopped traffic is dangerous. To the point of heat exhaustion. The mesh gear allows you to survive that much easier and more comfortably. The Motoport mesh kevlar is not like most mesh gear, you really wouldn't know it is mesh to look at it. That also means it flows less air. Which is part of why it works so well in extreme heat. I can ride all day in 100+ temps with my Hybrid Veskimo system in absolute comfort. That cannot be done with non-mesh suits. That is a long winded way of saying that I think mesh is the answer to your high temp rides.......

Thanks for the thoughtful reply

snip That is a long winded way of saying that I think mesh is the answer to your high temp rides.......

I am inclined to agree. Will look into Motoport.

Was doing a Technical Riding Course today. In the Aerostitch. Could not complete the full day - heat exhaustion or whatever. Relatively cool, but no clouds, asphalt parking lot, old guy...

Thanks very much for your comments.

I have the Darien, very heavy, not much ventilation in the front,always looks dirty but its made in the USA by enthusiasts, which next to protection is the most important factor for me. When its 100 degrees plus I have a hard time believing anything is going to keep me cool but a handful of ice in each hand warmer pocket helps a lot. At the end of the day you have to decide what you want to be wearing when you fall. Me, I'd like to be wearing my Vanson leathers but its not very practical for anything but a Sunday ride and even with the perfs very warm in the sun. My second choice for falling is definitely my Darian with all the pads. I do a lot of commuting on LA freeways including lane splitting and I would hate to think about anything less than every ounce of made in America protection between me and the asphalt.

Ed -

I've used both Darien Regular and Light jackets. Crashed the Regular but still use it, only a zipper problem with the Light, not expensive to repair. Being an adventure rider, I've fallen off the bike in the Light who-knows-how-many-times and it's always worked and not been damaged.

IMO, Aerostich gear might not be the latest designs but they're the most effective for my riding style. I just rode a 3,000 mile tour throughout California with elevations ranging from sea level to over 10,000 feet, with weather conditions ranging from cold foggy rain to 105 degree no-shade heat. The latest techno-gaga zoot suit built in Pakistan might have more hang tags on it when you buy it, but for my style of riding the Darien does it for me. You can zip it up and conserve heat or open it for airflow (many don't know about rolling open the "lapels" to get air on your chest). Another person mentioned the ice trick... dampening your shirt also works very well. And the pockets... especially in the right sleeve, are the best and most functional available.

That said, if you're looking for something cooler, I don't know that I'd choose the Aerostich Light stuff over some mesh gear. I just bought a decent outfit... Olympia Dakar Dual Sport Jacket and Pants and am super impressed with their function and build quality for the price. Nice features on the pants are that the lower legs zip off to make shorts and that the lower edge of the pants can be taken waaaayyyy up for short fat guys like me without having to modify the zipper. Olympia is also a long-time supporter of the MOA. I personally put a lot of weight in "made in the USA."

Also, regarding the protection in Aerostich gear, here is what their web site says. I can say that their padding works just fine and is more comfortable than the CE stuff from Europe/Asia.

'CE Approved' Labels?

CE impact standards involve both energy absorption capability and pad shape and size. Aerostich TF2 pads do not match these European standards because of their shapes, not their energy absorption capabilities. In hard-shelled areas, TF2 armor tested significantly better than most other CE approved armor. Around the softer edges, it tests lower. TF2 armor was tested at a CE lab in England and using a duplicate of the test apparatus here. TF2 pads were developed (years before CE standards existed) to provide effective protection when fitted into the oversuit designs of Roadcrafters and Dariens. Because of this, TF2 pads allow comfort with various combinations of street clothing better than CE shapes. Roadcrafter suits were the first riders garments to use removable armor pad systems,and to use an advanced energy absorbing material like TF2. When we introduced TF2 armor, all protective garments, including road racing suits, featured sewn-in paddings made from felt, foam rubber or other less effective materials.

Ian

Here's a photo of the Darien Light Jacket with Olympia Dakar Pants

IMG_1508-X2.jpg

Snip

Ed -

I've used both Darien Regular and Light jackets. Crashed the Regular but still use it, only a zipper problem with the Light, not expensive to repair. Being an adventure rider, I've fallen off the bike in the Light who-knows-how-many-times and it's always worked and not been damaged.
Ian

Here's a photo of the Darien Light Jacket with Olympia Dakar Pants

IMG_1508-X2.jpg

Thanks for the info, Visian. I have always felt safe in my 2-piece, just sometimes too hot.

I bought it because of the rainproofing. Did not want to stop and put on even hotter rain gear. Very satisfied with that. As it turned out, not too many rainy days have been encountered. But, on a really long trip, one is likely to encounter it...

ah, you mention something I forgot... nice to not have to deal with rain gear.

Have been exchanging emails with Motoport and they are kindly going to advise me on what to buy. From reading, it seems their liners are 'fast instal' and might even be worn all the time up to about 85F.

Awaiting reply.

Have been exchanging emails with Motoport and they are kindly going to advise me on what to buy. From reading, it seems their liners are 'fast instal' and might even be worn all the time up to about 85F.

Awaiting reply.

I have their liners for my two piece Kevlar Mesh jacket and pants. No way they are going to be left in place up to 85 degrees! Unless you just cannot get to the side of the road to get them off! Their liners are a very high quality in fit, installation, and function. They are absolutely waterPROOF, the only gear I have never had so much as a drop get past. But, they have to be put on UNDER the pants and jacket and if you take the time to use the zippers and loops it takes time. They do block wind well and in cooler weather you could leave them in. However, they are like putting on 2 1/2 sets of gear each time you get in them. Takes longer to get all the zips done up and so on. I take them with me, but the last few trips I have used my excellent Olympia rain pants and Tourmaster rain jacket instead. These go on easily over the mesh gear and are MUCH faster to get on and off. If the mesh gear was your only piece of riding gear, then get the liners with the mesh gear. Otherwise your Aerostich is much better for cooler weather.

Time waits for no one.......

It's sad. I bought my Aerostich back in the late 1980's, just after they introduced the 2-piece suit. It was a smart design and very well constructed. Today, the design is still smart and the construction excellent, but there are other suits offering more/smarter options and good construction.

There was no conspiracy or unfair deals. Just an apparent lack of vision for the future. Time waits for no one and, therefore, innovation/change is necessary for any product to stay relevant.

Back