• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Owners News gift coupon

Checked with my Dealer in Scottsdale, AZ. They have the memo and the way they read the memo is they have to supply an article in stock worth up to $19. They do not have the neck tube in stock but they do have caps for under $19. Seems like there is a lot of confusion on this.

Welcome to the forum!
Gary

Checked with my Dealer in Scottsdale, AZ. They have the memo and the way they read the memo is they have to supply an article in stock worth up to $19. They do not have the neck tube in stock but they do have caps for under $19. Seems like there is a lot of confusion on this.

From the magazine and our web site: "Just bring the voucher included in the August issue of BMW Owners News to any BMW dealer during the month of August and BMW will send you a free BMW Easy Tube".

Note that the magazine voucher shows a copyright for BMW Motorrad USA, a division of BMW of North America, LLC.

The voucher goes to the dealer, the dealer sends it (or the info) to BMWNA, BMWNA sends the Easy Tube to you.

This whole promotion seems to be a BMWNA initiated move to encourage BMWMOA members to visit their dealers. The dealer gets an opportunity to build a relationship and to sell to you, and has a trivial expense to pass on the voucher info. It is to the dealer's advantage to investigate and participate. They've already benefited from the promotion (your very presence indicates that showroom traffic is up), while turning you away just generates ill-will.

The BMWMOA "border" encompasses areas that BMW considers different entities, probably for legal as well as administrative purposes. In those areas they sell differently configured bikes, with slightly different parts, different warranties, and different recall policies. It should be no surprise that their marketing also differs.

I don't know if BMWMOA had an opportunity to request that the promotion be extended to our northern members. I would hope that someone at least asked that question.

Regardless, this is apparently a U.S.-only promotion, which should at least have been a mentioned in the magazine. The only other alternative that I can imagine would be for BMWMOA to refuse to participate at all, which would deprive all the U.S. members of the benefits.

Not sure how you made this leap... who said anything about passing judgement? My point was to focus on the dealers and local clubs, not the national organization.

Here, let me make this simple for you:

1) BMW MOA member and rider belongs to local club, does business with local dealer.

2) MOA helps local club and dealer work together put on a [track day, tech day, group ride, training day, weekend getaway, meet and eat... ]

3) BMW rider invites a young friend along that wants to buy a motorcycle.

4) Young friend doesn't have much money, is thinking a cheap KLR.

5) Dealer has a super deal on an F650 with only 8,000 miles. Or an airhead.

6) BMW rider shows young friend the bike for sale and young friend buys it.

7) Young friend joins local club and BMW MOA because they dig the community and need information about their bike.

This is just one use case, similar ones can be made for the purchase of new bikes.

Ian

If dealers don't make that connection, that's their fault. They're all independent businessmen that have filed a business plan with a financial institutions to get their operating capital. Telling them that we have a plan for making them more profitable, will most likely get you laughed out of the dealership.

Of course, one could take this to the extreme and pledge that we'll avoid on-line retailers and only pay MSRP at the brick and mortar dealerships. Perhaps a club award for the number of dealership tee-shirts or hats we've purchased? Then we could move that up a notch to zero tolerance for aftermarket products......making sworn oaths to only buy BMW accessories or dealer logo wear. That will get us in really tight with the dealers:)

So, is there a way to get a list of dealers who participate? I don't want to make any more random stops.

So, is there a way to get a list of dealers who participate? I don't want to make any more random stops.

My email conversation with BMW NA some time ago regarding the Oil promotion. (I have my work cut out for me.)
Dear Roger,

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA. We appreciate your inquiry.

We do not have access to a promotions list for our authorized BMW Motorrad dealerships as all BMW Motorrad dealerships are independently owned and operated, so all promotions are subject to dealer participation. A list of our authorized BMW Motorrad dealers can be found on our website: www.bmwmotorcycles.com under the "Find a Dealer" link.

The BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to us.

Regards,

Tom Lauer
BMW Motorrad USA
Representative

MAKE LIFE A RIDE.
FEEL EVERYTHING, FEAR NOTHING.
Build your own bike at www.bmwmotorcycles.com.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 6/11/2016 12:00:00 AM
To: <CustomerService@bmwmotorcycles.com>
Subject: MOA/RA Advantec oil promotion

As an MOA and RA member I recently had the 600 mile service performed at my local dealership, Adventure Motorsports of northwest Florida in Pensacola. I noticed on my invoice that I did not receive the one free liter of Advantec oil. When I asked the service manager about the promotion they were unaware of it. They looked into and informed me they were not a participating dealer. I was under the impression that all dealers were participating. If this is not true is there a list of participating dealers? Any information regarding this issue would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
Roger R. Mullins
MOA# 143779

Every dealer I've ever spoken with loves peer referrals and wants marketing program patterns to follow, things laid in their lap that they can do. This is our opporttunity, we know how to do "community."

Every now and then, Members post up really nice comments about their interaction with a particular supplier. Who has sent the dealer a link to the thread that had the good news?
All too often it seems it's the bad news spreading at the speed of light, try making some dealers (mechanic, supplier) day with something nice in their inbox.

The YB's Thank the Vendors.
Give it a try. In all sports and hobbies, we are in this together.
OM

We do not have access...

Sounds like BMW Motorrad of NA are real dumbasses. Who is paying their salary? We should let them know.

Sounds like BMW Motorrad of NA are real dumbasses. Who is paying their salary? We should let them know.

But, in a symbiotic manner............:)

Ohhmmm, Ohhhmmmm, ohhhmmmmm,.................... deep breath..........ohhmmmm, ohhmmm, ohhmmm

To be fair,
The email I shot off to BMW NA customer service was an inquiry regarding the issue of the promotion. I posted it here for educational purposes. The dealership in Pensacola always works with me on resolving issues, warranty work on bikes and apparel. I have no complaints with the dealer, NA doesn't seem to have an effective means of dissemination of information to its dealers. The DSC bulletine network it uses for this purpose is broke and needs a fixing.
You want to get a $50 gift card from Pensacola like I did, send a new bike customer their way. The dealership gives me anywhere from 10-15 percent off all my purchases because I am a, get this, loyal, long time customer I don't haggle, I don't argue, I am courteous at all times, and I let them know they are appreciated. I consider most of the employees there close friends. I will probably call the general manager today and talk to him about the oil program and advocate that they start honoring it.

As far as I can see all these deals apply to BMW USA. What's in it for Canadians? We already pay $15 more in annual dues and don't seem to get ANYTHING for it. The magazine doesn't have anything if you don't own a GS or a vintage BMW. I probably won't waste my money on a membership renewal.

As far as I can see all these deals apply to BMW USA. What's in it for Canadians? We already pay $15 more in annual dues and don't seem to get ANYTHING for it. The magazine doesn't have anything if you don't own a GS or a vintage BMW. I probably won't waste my money on a membership renewal.

Just to clarify, $15 extra US or $15 extra CDN? If the extra is for postage, why not request that MOA sends the magazine elsewhere (a dealer, perhaps) and you read the magazine on-line? Would that work for you?

.... I'm of the opinion, and have been for a few years, that Gruesome's post#91 at top of page closely represents the BMW NA.
Let's see; you want (or want to keep) a MOTORAD Dealership... you'll set it up with the "look & feel" that WE want; colors, signage, ect.
Then, when WE assist in advertising & promotional offers for the customer... you decide if you want to participate?
It seems MOTORAD or BMW NA has learned nothing from the elite business model of motorcycle marketing worldwide... Davidson/Harley!
(name swap because in this era of our existence, the Davidson family manages The Motor Co)

And the BMW Roadside Assistance Program... How they manage that program closely resembles the response that rangerreece received (post#89)...
Don't ask me how I Know! .

"travel'n" john

BMW has enjoyed improved sales and market share during the recent period of a general glum market. Harley is certainly the big bike on campus, but suffered greatly during the same period. BMW's relative success has, in my opinion, resulted in them adopting the position that they know what they are doing, they don't need anyone's advice on marketing and they will use the MOA as they see fit. For as long as they are successful in selling motorcycles our complaints about not getting the neck gator or quart of oil, or the content of their ads will be just background noise to them. When a regional sales manager calls/visits a dealership what do you imagine gets discussed? I think sales volume and how many more units the dealer can or must take in the future will always dominate the conversation. Gators and quarts of oil may get just a mention. Some dealerships will recognize the value of building good relationships with customers and local clubs, some dealerships will not.

As Visian said, if the MOA wants dealers to support MOA initiatives I think the MOA is going to have to work directly with the dealerships and not through BMWNA or BMW Canada.

Maybe I missed it, but, does the dealer have to buy the scarves from BMW? And give them away to good customers? Or just scarves for MOA members because we spend at dealers? Who doesn't have a scarf? Bad business IMHO.

Get a couple million printed up from out east, where everything is made, ship a carton to each dealer, first come, yippee, another scarf.

I'd much rather have a wall mounted bottle opener with k100 stamped on it. That I could use.

Yeah, that buck and a quarter a month is a real killer.

But seriously, postage ain't free.

problem resolved

I went to Ridenow BMW in Chandler with my coupon and MOA card. At first they did not know what to do with it. After consulting someone in the office, they said they were to collect these and at the end of the month send them to BMW.
BMW will then mail out the Neck tubes. Not sure how long that will be but it seems like a good plan.

Back