• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Owners News gift coupon

Typically, it is best to have the dealer ship, but either way, the shipping can be 2-3 times as much or more and then there is Canadian taxes to be paid, sometimes duties and brokerage fees as well. All of which make it often too expensive.

The problem for us in Canada is that with approximately 1/10th the population and way less than 1/10th the number of bikes, there just isn't enough volume or competition to warrant much in the way of good sales on gear or equipment from our dealers.

For me, I'm in the US several times per year so if I need something that is a really good value and can't get it in Canada anywhere close to the pricing, than I buy from the US retailer like Bob's, etc., and either have it shipped to a friend or my hotel. That's how I got my C3 helmet when Bob's had their $319 sale on them (IIRC, that also had free shipping within the US).

I think there's some additional factors on vehicle sales. I don't know how BMW CA is doing with their yearly sales, but BMW NA and Motorrad USA are both down from last year. On the car side, the last few months are down 5~10% from last year and that wasn't a great year for BMW NA relative to its rivals. M-B will likely sell more vehicles in the US this year. So, there's a big push by BMW to make the sales numbers look good.

In addition, the euro/US exchange is about 10% higher than the low values of 0.75 to 0.80 which were typical for most of the preceding 5-yrs.

So, we have a motivated seller and a favorable exchange rate.

Countryside BMW (Chicago area) update

Countryside now has a box to collect the gift coupons on the parts counter.

It took 2 weeks for the response I was expecting.

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad Canada. We appreciate your inquiry.

At this time, BMW Motorrad Canada will not be participating in a promotion with BMW Motorcycle Owners of America. Although BMW Motorrad Canada highly values its customers, BMW Canada and BMW of North America (USA) are entirely separate entities. We apologize for any disappointment that this may cause.

If you have any further comments, please reply to this email or contact the Customer Interaction Centre at 1-800-567-2691. Again, thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad Canada.

Sincerely,

Emily Lang
BMW Motorrad Canada

I will now move on to my next phase- trying to find out why.

BMW Motorrad Canada said:
...BMW Canada and BMW of North America (USA) are entirely separate entities...
This should have absolutely nothing to do with them taking part in a BMWMOA join-promotion. That should be based on BMW Canada's interest in working with BMWMOA and actually providing proof that their words are more than just window dressing.
...BMW Motorrad Canada highly values its customers...

...BMW Motorrad Canada will not be participating in a promotion with BMW Motorcycle Owners of America...
I'm wondering if BMW Motorrad Canada has ever partnered with BMWMOA on any BMWMOA initiative, or are just providing lip-service (hopefully that is not the case)?

The problem I have is with them providing what on the face of it appears to be a disingenuous and irrelevant reason for not participating, that in and of itself raises a concern of them not wanting to actually provide a real answer.

Yeh right our dealers in Canada (I don't think so)

Actually, more than a few members in our local club have taken advantage of this discount. The rebate comes from BMW Canada directly. Ask your local club president for details.

Why would BMW Motorrad Canada have anything to do with this ?

From what i can see BMW Motorrad USA bought a full 2 page advert in the MOA ON to promote a 500$ rebate upon purchasing a new BMW motorcycle AND purchasing over 1500$ worth of accessories.

BMW USA probably did a deal with the MOA so it's members would receive a little gift by going into a dealership, and perhaps get a few extra sales along the way.

Maybe MOA should have asked BMW to add to their advert that it is for USA dealers and members only but the whole advert is for BMW Motorrad USA. Which is self explanatory to anyone who actually reads the advert fully, completely. First thing i read when i saw that ad in the MOA ON is that it was BMW Motorrad USA so i didn't even read the rest. It wasn't aimed at me.

The MOA clearly has nothing to do with what promotions and adverts BMW Motorrad USA want to do.
The fact that the MOA got them to give out anything for free to it's members is already a good deal. And it was a good deal for BMW as they could potentially get a new bike sold from a member going in.

Let me ask you.
When any car brand has a USA sale with adverts in magazines, newspapers, TV etc do you go to your local Canada car dealer and ask for the same rebate ? Do you go onto the TV, newspaper or magazine website and complain that you could not get the same rebate in Canada ? I will assume you do not.
What's so different here ?

If BMW Motorrad Canada felt they could get a good ad coverage through the MOA ON, then they would put adverts. But the truth of the matter is that Canadian memberships to the MOA is probably not a big enough market for BMW Canada to spend on adverts in.
We are a small number of Canadian members and we obviously already own a BMW, so when you have a choice of where to spend your marketing money, the BMW MOA ON is probably not high on the list for BMW Motorrad Canada.

The fact that people are getting all riled up over this is hilarious and entertaining. :lurk But it has to stop at some point.

Just checking to see if anyone has received the free neck tube yet.

Probably a little early.
Dealers were supposed to send the cards in the first of September, but some may have waited a week or two.
Probably takes BMW a couple weeks to process this, so I'm guessing mid October before members see the neck tubes.

My last experience with offers of this sort involved cereal box-tops and a wait of 8-10 weeks. I'm not expecting anything before mid-November.

I have my neck sock. Dealer gave it to me off their sales display. Not useful in my view. This promotion was just a way for dealers to get e-mail addresses for marketing. Just click "unsubscribe" if you don't want unsolicited spam in your inbox.

If any of you want my unworn, once-through-the-washer neck sock, just PM me and we'll arrange for you to send me a prepaid, preaddressed envelope. That includes you Canadians. First come, first serve. Offer good until I complete my 36,000 mile tune up and try out the neck sock. There's no rush - I'm in no hurry to work on my bike as between Texas A&M home football games, the Texas Rennaisance Festival, and deer season in general, my usual riding roads have become much less attractive. The first two put traffic congestion and drunk drivers in traffic congestion on the roads; the latter puts aroused bucks chasing does in heat across roads in daylight.

It seems too me that BMW has generated more than $19.00 of bad will per customer with this promotion.

Last edited:
I had a nice experience at Motohio BMW in Columbus. I just happened to be in that area and remembered to take the card for the free thingy with me. The dealer knew all about it and had a salesperson who took care of it for me. Anyhoo, why is everyone complaining about (maybe) getting a free gift from BMW ? I had a great visit at the dealership, slobbered over a few new bikes and had a nice talk about BMW motorcycles. It was a win / win for me.

With all the complaining about this "free" Chachkie, dog help BMW If it isn't the best thing since sliced bread :dog
:whistle
OM

From what i can see BMW Motorrad USA bought a full 2 page advert in the MOA ON to promote a 500$ rebate upon purchasing a new BMW motorcycle AND purchasing over 1500$ worth of accessories.

BMW USA probably did a deal with the MOA so it's members would receive a little gift by going into a dealership, and perhaps get a few extra sales along the way.

Maybe MOA should have asked BMW to add to their advert that it is for USA dealers and members only but the whole advert is for BMW Motorrad USA. Which is self explanatory to anyone who actually reads the advert fully, completely. First thing i read when i saw that ad in the MOA ON is that it was BMW Motorrad USA so i didn't even read the rest. It wasn't aimed at me.

The MOA clearly has nothing to do with what promotions and adverts BMW Motorrad USA want to do.
The fact that the MOA got them to give out anything for free to it's members is already a good deal. And it was a good deal for BMW as they could potentially get a new bike sold from a member going in.

Let me ask you.
When any car brand has a USA sale with adverts in magazines, newspapers, TV etc do you go to your local Canada car dealer and ask for the same rebate ? Do you go onto the TV, newspaper or magazine website and complain that you could not get the same rebate in Canada ? I will assume you do not.
What's so different here ?

If BMW Motorrad Canada felt they could get a good ad coverage through the MOA ON, then they would put adverts. But the truth of the matter is that Canadian memberships to the MOA is probably not a big enough market for BMW Canada to spend on adverts in.
We are a small number of Canadian members and we obviously already own a BMW, so when you have a choice of where to spend your marketing money, the BMW MOA ON is probably not high on the list for BMW Motorrad Canada.

The fact that people are getting all riled up over this is hilarious and entertaining. :lurk But it has to stop at some point.

Well it's always good to be entertained. When you say "he MOA clearly has nothing to do with what promotions and adverts BMW Motorrad USA want to do. The fact that the MOA got them to give out anything for free to it's members is already a good deal." More accurate would be to say that the MOA got them to give something to their _USA_ members no? :bolt

The issue here as I see it is not one of being cheap and whining for free stuff all the time; it is all about inclusion or the lack of it. The MOA is an international club and Canada is part of that family of bike owners. I would even guess that next to US members we are probably the next largest group internationally. I don't think Canadian MOA members necessarily feel included in all that means or should mean. And some of the posts here point that out and I see nothing whiny or cheap about that. It's the reality of the situation.

- Whether anyone from the MOA contacted Motorrad Canada to ask them to participate on behalf of CDN members is a fair question.
- I would like to know what the answer was if the question was asked.

For the record I could give a toss about another cheap mass produced synthetic piece of advertising around my neck. Again, not the point at all! I've been saying for a very long time that 3 separate groups for Canada, Mexico and USA from a parts logistics point of view alone makes no sense and causes the very problem we are discussing here today. Please, no lectures about global economics OK? These are just more silos selling and servicing the same dang thing; simple as that.

From a post this morning-

Hi all – here’s an update regarding the BMW neck warmers. At this point, BMW’s fulfillment house has shipped over 1,000 of these to our members and the rest are coming soon. This was a completely new program, the first time we’ve tried something cooperative between our BMW MOA, BMW and its dealers, and minor glitches are to be expected. The rest of the neck warmers are on the way, so let’s please be patient and look forward to more benefits like this in the future. It’s exciting to see the new level of support we are receiving from BMW!

OM

Back