• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New RT With Coolant Weephole Leak

John, like you, no wish to highjack thread, perhaps the moderator could copy post #14, and move posts #18, 20 and this one #21 to a new thread "Exhaust Bluing" under "Wetheads".

Bluing is normal and I'm definitely no expert on this but it is my understanding that extreme exhaust bluing (as may be shown in your post #14) is most often the cause of a lean burn situation. Wondering if there is someone who has some real-world expert knowledge on the matter could chime in. Pictures can often be deceiving so it may not be as strong and heavy a bluing as it looks to me, and that may well be the case, because the pictures in post # 20 all look fine and normal.

My 1970 Norton 750 had a carb problem when it was rebuilt last year and really blued the header pipes quite a bit.

To me, slight-medium bluing and the goldish colouring is normal, medium-strong bluing is typical of a bike that's been ridden in a spirited manner for extended periods of time (not bad unless it has been ridden too hard and put away wet, so to speak), but really strong blueing always makes me think high exhaust temperature (EGT) conditions, which is most often caused by an overly lean mixture. Checking your spark plugs is a very quick and easy way to identify an overly lean mixture (white vs normal charcoal to light brown) . If you had access to it, hooking up a pair of wide-band O2-Sensors and a Data-Logger would tell you everything right away, but a quick plug read is all that is usually needed. Like I say, I'm a novice in this area.

I don't have a wethead, but I found this thread interesting as the thought of a coolant leak has been vaguely lurking in my head since BMW came out with this engine and would probably weigh as a significant negative factor in my mind against buying one.

I have had previous liquid cooled bikes that have had coolant leak problems, and so I don't really want any more coolant leaks in my life. :violin

My basic theory (rightly or wrongly) is that liquid cooling adds another system to the bike, thus complicating the bike, thereby increasing the chances for something to go wrong.

My current bike is a 2011 R1200GS.

Just thought I'd share what had been lurking in my head and what this thread brought to the surface.

Exactly, and this is the reason why I still ride a horse instead of a complex motorcycle.

Coolant Weephole Leak - 2015 R1200R

A few months after buying my R1200R new in June, 2015 I noticed the coolant leak and took it to Bob's BMW and was informed that there was a "defuser" that would address this issue which they had to order. After installation no more leakage.

Was this just BS and the lack of leakage just coincidental or what?

rydfar45 - I'd imagine that Bob's gave you a document about this work. Does it have BMW part numbers on it?

All good stuff I wipe away very slight residue on my weep hole from time to time. Pipes are nice and clean, but that has more to do with my OCD than anything else. John, when you come by the house I'm gonna have to work on those pipes, clean em up for you.

Reece - After spending time with you at Fontana Dam, I started to re-think my lack of OCD attention to my RT. After thinking about it some, I sat down in Asheville, NC, had a nice Sierra Nevada beer, and then took a nap.

Back home in MA, the summer passed, and I thought it might be good to clean up those nasty looking pipes. Not one to rush into things, I decided to work on the left one first (that's where the weephole is located). I got some AutoSol, some buffers, and cranked up my 3/8" drill. Of course, at my advanced age, getting down low is a problem. Nonetheless, I did, sat down on the driveway, and worked the drill and autosol hard on the left pipe. Candidly, I even used some 0000 steel wool. Getting up was the hard part. Here's the result of my attempts to clean up:

IMG_3444.jpg

I did not work on the right pipe 'cause I was tuckered from all that work. I took another nap.

Yesterday (9/10) I decided that I'd wander around Eastern Massachusetts (I know...ho-hum) for a while. After 70 miles this was what happened to the right pipe:

DSC_3458.jpg

So, it's now clear to me that this pipe-polishing thing is an effort in futility...but maybe that's some part of the definition of OCD? I dunno. I was an English major (how's that working out for me?) and not Psychology.

In any case Reece, I expect to wander though Enterprise in about a month (expecting to leave Boston on 9/16). I'll bring my AutoSol and 0000 steel wool, and we can go to work on what will surely be some pretty nasty-looking pipes. Thanks for offering (I think).

Enough out of me.

John Gamel

Looking forward to it. Leave the steel wool at home. Made that mistake once on my old RT. Strictly a blue job and mothers chrome polish guy. It's my secret slurry.

There is nothing like taking a great ride on a RT somwhere with a set of shinny clean exhaust pipes....other than taking a great ride on a RT somewhere with dirty pipes

I personally like when they turn blue.

The best way to get rid of the obsession is to have them black powdered coated...then just run over puddles when it rains and they self clean

Thanks for the observation mopo. By the time I roll down Reece's driveway I'll expect to have another 6K miles on the RT. I'm planning to go to Oregon, turn left in Portland, go to San Diego, turn left and go home. I'd expect to crud up those pipes some before I get to Alabama.

Sounds like u be tracing some of my my tire marks, except I turned left in Seattle to Diego and back home

You going down on the Coast or the 5?

Well, mopo my plan is to spend a couple of days in Portland, go down Medford, OR to see an old Navy pal, then to Sonoma, CA to see my sister & hubby, then to LA, then maybe to SD and then home. Mrs. ExGMan wants me home by 10/26 or so.

As to route, since I'm on the Pacific coast, I'd like to see the ocean as often as possible, so I'd think I-5 will not be my main route. I ride with my Nikon D7200 in my tank bag and try to take a lot of photos of what I think is good stuff.

Do the PCH ! and 101!

Take the time to go to the west coast, and ride the 101, then the Hwy 1 along the coast. So worth doing!

Water Pump, Round 2

I'm replying to the coolant weep hole portion of this thread, not the pipes. LOL

After my first issue with the dreaded "coolant seep", my dealer replaced the water pump at 3900 miles. On my way back from the NC / TN mountains last weekend I saw it again. I now have 7000 miles on my GSA and have yet to advise the dealer about this latest leak. When I do, I'll ask them about the "diffuser" that Bob's BMW installed on the R bike mentioned in this post to see what that's all about. This has been my dream bike for many years. I wanted one when I bought my R1150RS back in 2005 but was a little out of my price range at the time. Since buying this bike new in March, I've had a seat lock issue (where the key got stuck in it, happened as soon as I got it home), a water pump leak / replacement and a recall on the clutch slave cylinder (replaced when the dealer did the pump). Add to it this second incidence of pump leakage, and, while on this same trip, intermittent advisory messages on the display and NAV 5 advising me to check the oil level (the level at the time was dead center in the ring on the site glass). With all these issues with only 7000 miles on it, I'm starting to regret this purchase at times. :banghead

I'm replying to the coolant weep hole portion of this thread, not the pipes. LOL

After my first issue with the dreaded "coolant seep", my dealer replaced the water pump at 3900 miles. On my way back from the NC / TN mountains last weekend I saw it again. I now have 7000 miles on my GSA and have yet to advise the dealer about this latest leak. When I do, I'll ask them about the "diffuser" that Bob's BMW installed on the R bike mentioned in this post to see what that's all about. This has been my dream bike for many years. I wanted one when I bought my R1150RS back in 2005 but was a little out of my price range at the time. Since buying this bike new in March, I've had a seat lock issue (where the key got stuck in it, happened as soon as I got it home), a water pump leak / replacement and a recall on the clutch slave cylinder (replaced when the dealer did the pump). Add to it this second incidence of pump leakage, and, while on this same trip, intermittent advisory messages on the display and NAV 5 advising me to check the oil level (the level at the time was dead center in the ring on the site glass). With all these issues with only 7000 miles on it, I'm starting to regret this purchase at times. :banghead

The coolant drips on the pavement or just "stains" the engine case?

Oil leak from coolant weephole?

My 2016 R1200RT with 4500 miles has developed what appears to be an oil leak from the weephole. It was very slight to begin with and has worsened. I have not noticed what would be consistent with coolant coming from the hole. Any thoughts? My dealer is somewhat puzzled and will address the issue but living over 150 miles from the dealer has complicated getting the bike back.

My 2016 R1200RT with 4500 miles has developed what appears to be an oil leak from the weephole. It was very slight to begin with and has worsened. I have not noticed what would be consistent with coolant coming from the hole. Any thoughts? My dealer is somewhat puzzled and will address the issue but living over 150 miles from the dealer has complicated getting the bike back.

With the old K bikes the oil pump and water pump were a single unit with two chambers and an intermediate seal. That is not true of the Wethead bikes as far as I can tell. So, if you have what seems to be oil at the coolant weep hole that would indicate to me that somewhere, somehow, oil is getting into the coolant. My first suspect would be a defective head gasket. Let us know what the dealer finds.

Welcome to the forum!
Give us an idea where you are when you can. There may be dealer options you haven't considered.
Gary

2015RT 38K Miles no sign of leaks seeps or weeps. Coolant level great, there now I probably jinxed it. Just to reassure some out there, myself included. My next stress raiser, waiting to see if this $1500 alternator will fail as I have read.

Back