• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav V - am I missing something

Sounds like the RT radio and Nav V issues would make a great seminar at the rally. Might be an idea to gather members and bikes into a location and help each other out.

I agree Ed. And there will be no shortage of vendors aka experts there to ref reference, Schuberth cardio, sena, BMW, etc.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but I couldn't find a topic devoted to the Nav V.

After a bit on consternation I decided to purchase the Nav V for my 2016 R1200RTW which was Nav-ready. After taking it out for a test-spin today I can say that I am really disappointed in the performance. Very early-2000 performance.

I've been using Google maps for years and find the interface, real-time traffic alerts, and up-to-date maps really nice. The Nav V required an addiction subscription for traffic alerts and, even with the completely updated maps, did not accurately the current roads in my area. I could not locate towns that were within 20 miles of my current location! I really hope that I was doing something wrong, otherwise I feel like I spent a lot of money that I get for free on my phone.

Any good tutorials on line that might make me feel a bit better about my purchase, or should I just return the expensive beast?

Thanks,
Ski

Hi Ski,

I bought my '16 RT and took delivery on March 18th. I have 11,000+ miles on the bike and just got back from 9,163 mile trip and I can say while the interface is clunky by comparison to GoogleMaps, it works, is operated in part by the wonder wheel, and really never failed us except on occasion when you punch in Restaurants or Gas Stations the database may not always be reliable, but generally these features and the 3 route options we used we very well done, curvy roads, shortest distance, fastest, w/ the various avoidances, etc never failed us. I love the 3D road signs that appear as you're approaching a turn, off ramp, etc. I'd buy it again, and I am a GoogleMaps user. Nav V is more complete, GoogleMaps is more refined/polished/slick.

Voice Commands over radio Nav 5

What am I doing wrong , I use it and the voice directions come though fine on the radio , the next time I get no voice directions ?

What am I doing wrong , I use it and the voice directions come though fine on the radio , the next time I get no voice directions ?

Fridy - My experience is that in order to get consistent audio from the radio speakers of the Nav V directions, you have to mute the audio then unmute it after starting the bike. It's easily done.

When the Nav V starts up, the initial screen will probably be one which shows "Where To?" and "View Map." Now hit "View Map" and the next screen will appear which should show you a map. In the lower right of this screen should be a small window with three horizontal lines. Push this button.

The next screen will include six buttons. You should push the "Mute" button, and after it changes (with a red line across it) push it again. The next step is to push the button in the lower left which is an arrow pointing in a rotating way to the left. If you have the volume up on the device, you will hear a "beep" through the speakers.

This action will put you back on the map screen and from then on (until the Nav V is turned off) you'll hear map directions etc. over the speakers from the RT. You'll be able to adjust the volume from the speakers via what we seem to call the "Wonder Wheel."

You'll have to do this each time you shut down the bike and then restart it. Over time you'll get used to this little quirk and it will become something you do if you're depending on the audio for directions.

I hope this is helpful.

John

Traffic for Nav V

How do you purchase the traffic app? The Garmin site says it is $49.99 whereas I see it on this forum and app at $19.99. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Fridy - My experience is that in order to get consistent audio from the radio speakers of the Nav V directions, you have to mute the audio then unmute it after starting the bike. It's easily done.

When the Nav V starts up, the initial screen will probably be one which shows "Where To?" and "View Map." Now hit "View Map" and the next screen will appear which should show you a map. In the lower right of this screen should be a small window with three horizontal lines. Push this button.

The next screen will include six buttons. You should push the "Mute" button, and after it changes (with a red line across it) push it again. The next step is to push the button in the lower left which is an arrow pointing in a rotating way to the left. If you have the volume up on the device, you will hear a "beep" through the speakers.

This action will put you back on the map screen and from then on (until the Nav V is turned off) you'll hear map directions etc. over the speakers from the RT. You'll be able to adjust the volume from the speakers via what we seem to call the "Wonder Wheel."

You'll have to do this each time you shut down the bike and then restart it. Over time you'll get used to this little quirk and it will become something you do if you're depending on the audio for directions.

I hope this is helpful.

John

John, I received a software update on my NAV5 earlier this week (from Garmin). On today's ride (268 miles w/several stops where bike was shut off). Each time, Nav5 reconnected with my SMH10R. SMH10R was turned on first, then I fired up my RT. No special mute/unmute steps, nothing! Don't know if this update fixed it, but now the Nav5 directions come through the audio just fine. interrupting the radio, etcetera. After the instructions, the music's back!

YMMV

For those unhappy with the nav5 I understand the 6 is not to far out
To get a glimpse of what it will look like, visit garmin's aviation Webb site or goggle garmin AREA 660, their latest portable GPS. Very readable in bright daylight, iPhone type touch screen

I was having trouble with my Nav V, Sena 10u and iPhone playing well together. Called Sena and the fix was very easy. Pair iPhone first (if doing this second time, make sure to reset headset, and unfair all devices). Then, pair Nav V as second phone -an option I had not focused on. Now they both connect easily, music can be played from either, and Siri works. Very happy.

Thanks for the info. I have the exact same setup as you and have been trying to pair my 10u to the navigator v. Thought there was a defect ( I guess the defect was me ) BTW did you have the navigator mounted on the motorcycle or as a stand alone unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nav is on its GS Dock.
If I recall correctly, the process for first phone pairing is hold the - button for 12 seconds and it will say phone pairing. Pair phone. Then hold - for 12 economic then hit the + button a couple of times (check manual) and it says "2nd phone pairing." Works great.

Nav is on its GS Dock.
If I recall correctly, the process for first phone pairing is hold the - button for 12 seconds and it will say phone pairing. Pair phone. Then hold - for 12 economic then hit the + button a couple of times (check manual) and it says "2nd phone pairing." Works great.

Actually, hold the phone button for 5-6 seconds for "phone pairing". If you hold it for 12 seconds it will do a factory reset.

Yep, Furkot is an excellent trip planner. Works very well with the Nav V. They have excellent customer support too.

.gpx to Nav 5

Looks like this thread is still active so I ask my question as simply as I can...

Background. I am pretty familiar with the Nav 5.
I also like Google Maps to plan routes.
I know how to convert a Google route to gpx
Yes, I know how to use Basecamp which is a larger PITA than an annual physical.

So can I directly import a gpx file to the Nav V...

If yes--- any tricks needed... I just moved a gpx route to my Nuvi- by connecting the Nuvi to my Mac... and drag and drop to the Nuvi icon on the screen. The route was there- calculated perfectly etc...

What about the Nav V?

Looks like this thread is still active so I ask my question as simply as I can...

Background. I am pretty familiar with the Nav 5.
I also like Google Maps to plan routes.
I know how to convert a Google route to gpx
Yes, I know how to use Basecamp which is a larger PITA than an annual physical.

So can I directly import a gpx file to the Nav V...

If yes--- any tricks needed... I just moved a gpx route to my Nuvi- by connecting the Nuvi to my Mac... and drag and drop to the Nuvi icon on the screen. The route was there- calculated perfectly etc...

What about the Nav V?
Just copy the gpx file to the GPX folder on your Nav V. When you restart your Nav V, it will ask if you want to import.

reply to my own thread

went ahead and called Garmin.

The simple answer is to plug the Nav V into your computer- in my case a Mac... and then look at the Finder and under devices see the Garmin. Click it and it opens to the N av V hard drive. put your gpx file there and you are done.

Best part is no Basecamp.

So there.

Windows guys - I cannot help.

Bob

Back