• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200R LC - Installing Magnetic Tank Bag

Not an RT, but we used clear silicone to glue some rare earth magnets under the centre panel on my F800GT to hold a small tank bag. It works well. Just bear in mind that the strength of the magnet DOES matter. We had to upgrade to bigger ones after the tankbag tried to escape in a heavy crosswind. Thankfully, the loop of AutoComm cable through the top loop caught it!

R1200R LC Tank Bag Mounting

Thanks for your input. I'm was hoping to use the Cortech 18L bag I already own, but if its not secure
I guess I'll have to get a new one with the strap mounting paraphernalia.

You may want to check out the quick lock tank bags from SW-Motech.
The Engage bag fit the RS/R tank well.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-by-product/luggage-racks/tank-bags
P1030208.JPG

Don't misunderstand me - it's secure enough IF you use the right weight of magnet. We started out on the light side. Now that we've upgraded, it's been fine. I'm very happy with it.

Where did you get your magnets, and what size worked for you.

I've got a magnetic tank bag also that would work for day to day use...but it's not much good on a plastic "tank".

Chris

I need to look at (a) where my tank bag magnets rest on the plastic, then just how much of an angle is there where I'd put the magnet.

The simple answer would be to buy the biggest strongest magnet you can find. But if it can't touch the plastic evenly, then you lose a lot of the strength.

I did some reading and apparently you can stack them and get the same effect as a larger magnet.

I did some looking for myself this afternoon as well. There's some good info on rare earth magnets at K&J Magnetics. Here's a link to their calculator. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp

Now to see if the magnetic tank bag will actually conform to the shape on my F800GT "tank"... Otherwise, it is a moot point.

Chris

I'm just sad to see the last of the metal tanked Roadsters:cry

End of a long run:wave

Y'all fellas be careful with too many magnets...the gas cap may not release:laugh:laugh:laugh

Back