• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who builds the spoked wheels for BMW?

slowflyn

My dealer damaged my front wheel during a tire change and they replaced the rim. They did the work in house and the first attempt was not satisfactory so they tried again. After seeing what a PITA it is to true the BMW spoked wheels I am wondering who makes these wheels and are they hand built or is there some sort amazing machine that does the work.

Yes, the BMW spoke wheels are very difficult to relace and true. In fact I know of just one shop that will do this work.

Woodys Wheel Works
www.woodyswheelworks.com

All the big name wheel smiths I contacted said they don't do the BMW cross spoke wheels due to the difficulty.

Woodys builds and repairs cross spoke wheels from customers all over the globe. I had a front wheel on my GSW start causing a shimmy. Spokes had loosened. I tried truing it and made things worse. Called Woodys and sent the wheel to them. It was returned better than new with no measurable runout, well inside of factory specification. They were able to straighten the warped rim with a press and completely re-laced the wheel. The service took less than a week and the repair bill was reasonable. If your new rim has not been damage the cost will be less.

I would ask the dealer to cover the cost as they caused the damage.

Most dealers, with any experience, already know they can't lace those wheels correctly. +1 for Woody's.

Yep, I know Woody's is the place for fixing wheels. What I'm trying to find out is who builds the wheels for BMW to put on their new bikes. With so much work being outsourced I would be surprised that BMW does that inhouse. Whoever does do the work I would be interested to learn if it is done by hand at the factory by wheel elves or has someone sorted out a machine to make the process faster. I'm guessing it could take one person an entire day to assemble 2 wheels and if that is a German doing the work that is a pricey wheel to produce. I know it is VERY pricey if I pay retail.

Yep, I know Woody's is the place for fixing wheels. What I'm trying to find out is who builds the wheels for BMW to put on their new bikes. With so much work being outsourced I would be surprised that BMW does that inhouse. Whoever does do the work I would be interested to learn if it is done by hand at the factory by wheel elves or has someone sorted out a machine to make the process faster. I'm guessing it could take one person an entire day to assemble 2 wheels and if that is a German doing the work that is a pricey wheel to produce. I know it is VERY pricey if I pay retail.

Akront (now Morad) used to make the wheels for airheads and I think the early oilheads. Behr was making wheels for BMW...don't know if they still are.

Akront (now Morad) used to make the wheels for airheads and I think the early oilheads. Behr was making wheels for BMW...don't know if they still are.

Thank you, that gives me a lead to follow. If anyone knows of more current information please post it.

When I had my issue I called Buchanann. Once they figured I was talking about the BMW cross spoke (tubeless) they quickly said they don't work on these rims. This was in 2014.

I didn't know BMW would send wheel parts

I had always been told by many that BMW would not supply anyone, dealer or supply house with wheel parts, they would only ship a complete and ready to mount OEM wheel assembly. I was advised it was partially due to proper assembly and mostly liability regarding improperly laced and trued wheels. I know many other Motorcycle manufactures will only ell a wheel assembly and not individual parts of the wheel.

Back