• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I need muffler suggestions for 2016 R1200RT

I'm on the side of keeping it stock. You get no performance improvement, aside from a slight reduction in weight, and they all cost $1K. I wouldn't mind a little more sound, but $1K? I 'd spend it on some Darla driving auxiliary lighting first.

Larry

2015 RT Too loud

I don't want to hear it or anyone else for that matter. What's wrong with a quiet non offencive motorcycle?? Why many of you insist on all that noise is beyond me, you're just pissing off the public who are fighting to get us banned from highways. Plus your own hearing is at stake!

Gee whiz this thread sure went downhill fast all he was asking was muffler suggestions, and before you know it, it went into a you'll void your warranty (BS), to a if you want louder pipes get a Harley...
motorcyclist's used to be counter culture well I guess we just got old and scared. I say if you want to change your muffler good for you and screw the dealer and his warranty. I have and will continue to change everything I don't like on my RT its the definition of freedom.

Gee whiz this thread sure went downhill fast all he was asking was muffler suggestions, and before you know it, it went into a you'll void your warranty (BS), to a if you want louder pipes get a Harley...
motorcyclist's used to be counter culture well I guess we just got old and scared. I say if you want to change your muffler good for you and screw the dealer and his warranty. I have and will continue to change everything I don't like on my RT its the definition of freedom.

Agreed!

I pulled the trigger on a Remus ...I'm happy with the new sound and look...

You'll really like it. On my current, and previous BMW, I had full Remus systems installed before even bringing the bikes home.

As for the loud pipes worriers, these systems are TUV and ECC certified.

And welcome.

Does anyone know what the weight reduction is? reg 26

One guy on the RS board is reporting 21 pounds, with the full system. On my Hexhead ST, it's 11 kilograms. :)

I have a stock system in the garage, and it's a boat anchor. The quality isn't as good either.

Last edited:
so in all these threads, no one noticed an increase in performance, just noise? whatever happened to peace and quiet. Much rather here the fine pitched whir of the beemer engine than a noisy exhaust!

so in all these threads, no one noticed an increase in performance, just noise? whatever happened to peace and quiet. Much rather here the fine pitched whir of the beemer engine than a noisy exhaust!

I have to agree. This Harley noise mentality is getting old. They wanted me to go that route on my Ultra Limited to make it run cooler and that's one reason I traded. I like to ride through the mountains at night, away from the city, get to the upper elevations for peace and quiet to kick back and look at the star clusters. People live up there, camp there, and like me are seeking the peaceful environment. When I rode my Harley up there at night I always felt conspicuous. Now on the Beemer I just motor on in with a subdued note, not a major announcement of here comes the jackass. Not sure exactly how much more performance everyone is looking for. I mean at 125 hp on a 500 lb bike, that's fairly respectable. I don't know about you but Dynamic mode scares the hell out of me. That progessive throttle roll is wild. Thanks for letting me share. :wave

https://youtu.be/xGyKBFCd_u4

If you are after sound: My opinion is that the Akra has the best 'ballsy' sound as I have heard them of friend's bikes.

If you the looks of chrome bothers you (as much as it bothers me) What I did was have my last wethead muffler black powder coated. I think that looked great.

Anecdotal: I have put aftermarket mufflers, gutted cats out of OEM RT headers and nothing seems to make my RT run as efficient as with the stock system. I am just telling my experience, I ain't telling anyone to do anything. Thus, my option to get rid of that god-awful harley looking chrome muffler is to black it out.

Not sure about the RT's, but the Wet GS's are louder/throatier now then any stock Hex or Camhead. I can hear the Wetheads heading up my hill before most models.

Our R12S came from the factory with a full Akropovic system and big pipes:whistle

Yeap! I have mentioned before that experts on the field propose: that freer flow decreases low torque; because that band of torque requires backpressure that is typically diminished if only a little, when installing aftermarket catless headers or mufflers. Normally, I get flamed for saying this by those who claim that is not true.

The other issue here is what are you using your bike for? Most folks who do loooong touring would not welcome noise as a traveling companion. "Cool" sounding pipes wear their welcome quickly over-the-road. For example, I am on a nearly 6k trip now. I wear earplug to minimize fatigue. Noise causes the brain to react as if tension or danger is present, and produces more fatigue on long touring rides

For me (not necessarily for the reader) cheaper, more efficient, maximum ergonomics (quieter) is a no-brainer choice. Well, that is now! before, I experienced disappointment and needless expenses trying to improve the OEM system. I guess my motivation for sharing this, is to spare others from wasting your money and time.

However, this is also a subjective choice so if you enjoy the sound and 'improved power' from an aftermarket exhaust system, you didn't need to read this.

HONEY, PLEASE BRING ME MY FLAME SUIT

Please go ahead and flame appropriately

I hated that big chrome thing. I replaced it with an Akropovic. A little louder than I like at high speed on the super slab but I like the look much better and the general sound.

I agree!!!

The Akropovic lets your bike perform as it was meant to. You no longer need to sound like a sewing machine!!!!

For those who might be interested in the Motorrad offered Akrapovic:

77118543042.jpg

It offers a slight weight reduction and more robust sound, but they do not claim any performance gains. For $1,300-plus, I'll take a pass.

The Remus weight loss plan!

Does anybody know what the weight reduction is? Just curious

I know it's more than 4 years later. The OEM exhaust on my 2018 RT weighed 23 pounds. I replaced it with a full Remus system, stainless steel header pipes, titanium cannister. The Remus system weighs 10 pounds. My RT now weighs in at under 600 pounds. The Remus sounds great and a noticeable increase in midrange torque was achieved.

So you shedded 13 pounds, and what difference did it make? Haul through the twisties faster?

I guess is someone wants to spend $1000-$2000 on their "toy" that adds probably nothing to the performance who am I to say anything? I also ride a Harley and guess what? It still has the stock mufflers! One thing i like about m 2018 RT is it has decent performance and it is quiet!

I have gone the whole performance thing with my Harleys and I am sick and tired of noise. I probably would like an electric if it had the range and performance of a gasser.

:thumb:thumb
So you shedded 13 pounds, and what difference did it make? Haul through the twisties faster?

I guess is someone wants to spend $1000-$2000 on their "toy" that adds probably nothing to the performance who am I to say anything? I also ride a Harley and guess what? It still has the stock mufflers! One thing i like about m 2018 RT is it has decent performance and it is quiet!

I have gone the whole performance thing with my Harleys and I am sick and tired of noise. I probably would like an electric if it had the range and performance of a gasser.

Yeap! I have mentioned before that experts on the field propose: that freer flow decreases low torque; because that band of torque requires backpressure that is typically diminished if only a little, when installing aftermarket catless headers or mufflers. Normally, I get flamed for saying this by those who claim that is not true.

This is precisely why I took the Akropovic exhaust OFF after riding it for a couple days. Torque in the range below around 6k, or in the normal everyday riding range, was noticeably reduced. The bike just felt sluggish. And I can't see the logic in wringing the piss out of it all the time just to enjoy the range where it would have mattered.

Took it off. Sold it to a friend with an RT. Never looked back. And that friend was over one day and remarked that my bike sounded "about the same" as his. Subjective, I'll grant you, but as the stock muffler has "aged" the sound does seem to have grown little deeper than it was originally.

Do what you will. It's your bike. But that's a lot of money for very little return that would buy a lot of other much more useful farkles.

Just my .02.

I "shedded" 13 pounds.

I shed 13 lbs. Reg26 asked for the difference in weight. I simply gave an answer. Personalizing our toys is part of being an enthusiast. The weight loss from changing the exhaust means virtually nothing. The Remus exhaust did though produce a noticeable increase in mid-range torque, so maybe I am quicker through the twisties. And the exhaust note is not abnoxious, unlike some American made stuff, with after market, or even stock, exhaust.

Back