• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I need muffler suggestions for 2016 R1200RT

floridagator

Not particularly enamored with "stock" sound of my R1200RT. Looking for suggestions or insights into brands that provide a more throaty sound. Also when changing exhaust is it necessary to re-tune the bike. Thanks for your input!

Welcome to the forum!
One of the names that riders seem to like is Ackrapovic (sp). I myself like a little "throatier" sound out the pipe. There are a few threads on the different mufflers, I'll try to find them later for you.
I may also move this over to the Wethead section, we'll see how it goes.
Gary

My recommendation is stay Stock, especially while under warranty. After market slip-ons are inordinately expensive for what you get (sound and performance) and only exemplifies the big bucks you already spent on your machine. If you're into Big sound buy a Harley. jmtc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My recommendation is stay Stock, especially while under warranty. After market slip-ons are inordinately expensive for what you get (sound and performance) and only exemplifies the big bucks you already spent on your machine. If you're into Big sound buy a Harley. jmtc

That's my recommendation also.
dc

I hated that big chrome thing. I replaced it with an Akropovic. A little louder than I like at high speed on the super slab but I like the look much better and the general sound.

Did it!

Not particularly enamored with "stock" sound of my R1200RT. Looking for suggestions or insights into brands that provide a more throaty sound. Also when changing exhaust is it necessary to re-tune the bike. Thanks for your input!

I pulled the trigger on a Remus ... Great service from Revzilla ... Took me maybe an hour to do the installation ...
I didn't like the replacement heat shield (fiberglass) so I made a minor alteration to the stock one.
I'm happy with the new sound and look. I think folks will know I'm around in traffic without me being
a straight pipe "Harley" type guy ... thanks for the imput all!

Gator
I punched out the openings on my 1600 to make the sounds better, have been eyeballing my RT to see if I can do the same, will report back
Jim

I would wonder if you could adapt a stock GS muffler to work with the RT. To my ear, the stock GS muffler sounds really nice. Not too loud and has a nice rumble that sounds particularly sweet at full boil. A take off should be able to be had for cheap and all you should have to do is work out the hanger bracketry, which shouldn't be overly difficult. And, since it's stock, it shouldn't mess with the fuelling. :thumb

I bought my 2013 R1200R with the Remus already installed. It came with an insert that brings the db level to as near stock as I can tell. It sounds good with or without the insert. I noticed no difference in mileage or performance with the insert installed. It does look better than stock and gives me a few more pounds of payload to work with when loading for a two-up trip.
Doug

Sound advice. If you buy the new pipes, and,or change the injectors at a BMW dealership, make sure the dealership states in writing the work will not void the warranty. Otherwise, let us know when you'll be on Judge Judy's...............

Sound advice. If you buy the new pipes, and,or change the injectors at a BMW dealership, make sure the dealership states in writing the work will not void the warranty. Otherwise, let us know when you'll be on Judge Judy's...............

I second this...

Look up the magnussen-moss warranty act..Dealers/Manufacturers can't void warranty because consumer added after market equipment, unless it can be proven to have caused adverse effect on the vehicle...

I like the stock muffler. And it came with the bike! No extra cost.

You want louder and throaty? Consider a Harley.

Last edited:
I like the stock muffler. And it came with the bike! No extra cost.

I never have understood the whole "change the exhaust/muffler" mentality. I make changes for ergonomic reasons but the running gear I leave to the engineers cuz I aren't one. LOL

And yellow from Phoenix Dean, always enjoyed your website.

Back