• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do I need reverse on Sidecar rig?

xlarry

Larry
I am almost 72 and as I have gotten older I am thinking sidecar. I have a 2013 RT and it would be my cheapest option to get a sidecar for it. (I assume.)

It appears that reverse is not an easy option so my question is how hard is it to push a rig back out of the garage? Once out of the garage my driveway has a downward slope so it would be easier to go backwards. The driveway is a double car one, so would that be enough space to get the rig turned around?

I have a fully loaded GSA with a Hannigan hack. Extra fuel in rotopax. Five gallons of water for the dog. Never had a bit of trouble pushing it backwards. Backing out of the garage I just sit on it and use my left foot to push the rig backwards. On a slight uphill I brace my hip against the pannier and use my legs to push. Easy. Can't do that with my two wheeler. I think most of the effort goes into trying to keep the bike upright. With a sidecar that's not an issue.

Pete

As with a solo bike you learn to park using the natural slope to your advantage. When backing, gravity is your friend. Don't pull into a downslope parking spot. Pull past it and roll backward into it. On the flat, if you're set up properly, you shouldn't have any trouble pushing back. Regarding the width of your driveway turning around, making a 'T' turn around shouldn't be a problem. You'll just learn to use the slope and your momentum to your advantage.

On a side note, you mentioned putting a sidecar on your existing bike. That's always an option, usually an expensive option. You might look at a hack already set up and dialed in. Also if you haven't ridden a hack, get some help or guidance from an experienced hacker, and take it easy. Nothing even remotely similar to riding a solo bike. Anyway, have a great 2016 riding season. Ride easy,
gp

I'm told David Hough's "yellow book" is a good place to start learning \|/ wheels.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/driving-a-sidecar-outfit-2nd-edition

sidc2e_3.jpg

om

When I was first shopping for a sidecar I asked that question and was told you'll only once park where you would need reverse to get out, twice if you aren't too bright.

As noted already, gravity is your friend.

I have a Ural and once you have reverse you are ruined. Although I love the quote about you only park head-in on a downslope once or twice. I agree it's cheaper to buy an existing sidecar outfit than hacking one's current ride.

Careful, once you go hack you'll never go back. Sidecars are addicting.

Yes always cheaper to buy an existing rig, easy to push around on a hard surface and you will learn to park up hill or in a fashion that lets you get out easily.

I agree with what everyone has said so far. My K1200GT with a Hannigan wide seat car, is easy to push around.
Where some extra strength comes in is turning the thing. The bike has the stock front end (something I need to look into changing),
and is a bear to handle in the twisty's. It's like driving an old farm truck with steering by arm-strong.

Back