• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

lies little problems regarding 2014 r1200rt tupperware

erkj79

John Erkan
OK, so I finally get my bike back from the 6000 mile maintenance with 2 failures, gear shift assist went belly up and gasket leak requiring removal of engine from bike......after going for a long awaited afternoon ride to check things out, noticed that the right side battery cover tupperware was not seating properly. Upon further investigation, this panel is held in place by 2 corner screws and a plastic tab which is inserted into a rubber grommet. Well, the bike only has 6k miles on it, and the tupperware tab would not remain inserted into the rubber grommet no matter what I did. Any quick fixes for this issue before I return the bike to the shop and complain yet again? I am thinking of getting a new rubber grommet and maybe placing a few drops of epoxy on each side to better secure it once thru the rubber grommet.....thanx guys

The "tabs" have had some problems- http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...0-RT-(K52)-Upper-Body-Panel-Tabs-One-Solution
It sounds like it may be a position problem on your bike. If you take the 2 screws out, the the bodywork look OK? And- if you put the screws back in, does it cause the tab to come out of place?
Tabs and push-pins with an occasional Torx seem to be the way of the new world. The reassembly usually reminds me of the "star" lightning sequence on a 5 lug wheel. Git 'em snug with everything fit properly and tighten 'em up.
Just had to order special push-pin pliers and spare push-pins for my ATV :hungover
OM

i did notice that there is a bit of off-set once the 2 screws are installed loosely. this causes a slight "unseating" of the tab and grommet. it is a very loose fit, nonetheless, and of very poor design. i think I will try to obtain a few new rubber grommets or see if I can find one somewhere that will offer a tighter fit.

If you look at the screws, they are different upper screw should be the one with the shoulder, lower screw doesn't have shoulder, try that first

I put a dab of black RTV in the grommet hole and pushed the rubber part into the RTV and let it set. Nke the cover slides in and stays lit and when I remove it the rubber grommet stays put. Been like that for over a year.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

tie wrap

OK, so I finally get my bike back from the 6000 mile maintenance with 2 failures, gear shift assist went belly up and gasket leak requiring removal of engine from bike......after going for a long awaited afternoon ride to check things out, noticed that the right side battery cover tupperware was not seating properly. Upon further investigation, this panel is held in place by 2 corner screws and a plastic tab which is inserted into a rubber grommet. Well, the bike only has 6k miles on it, and the tupperware tab would not remain inserted into the rubber grommet no matter what I did. Any quick fixes for this issue before I return the bike to the shop and complain yet again? I am thinking of getting a new rubber grommet and maybe placing a few drops of epoxy on each side to better secure it once thru the rubber grommet.....thanx guys

I've had the same issue and ended up loosing the rubber grommet and ended up fastening using a tie wrap until my next visit to the dealer

Back