• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- 4.22 - 4.24.2016

Working out the details on attending this one this year with the same crew that I brought down to Pine Mountain. One of us has never made a trip to that area, so we have to break him in.:thumb

Yeah, I have never made a trip to that area either. Reserved my camping site reservations starting on the 18th.

Yeah, I have never made a trip to that area either. Reserved my camping site reservations starting on the 18th.

You will not be disappointed.

I did a SAT/SUN run down there in August of '14 with a group from work. Just wanted to mark the Dragon off my bucket list. Found that one road is just the tip of the iceberg. 28 from Deal's Gap to Fontana and past (coming from my direction) was just beautiful and there's PLENTY more. Haven't been back since and have been dying to go so I can hit the Cherohala and maybe part of the BRP. Only question right now is whether or not Household 6 is coming.

Creech, are you a 58D pilot, do I know you? Either way I'm looking forward to this gig... Big time.

Negative on the 58D pilot. Just a loggie. I do enjoy the ride though. We can figure out the knowing part in Fontana. It's a small Army. You can talk whirlie birds with my riding buddy that's a Crew Chief on the newest 60 model.

Fontana MOA Getaway Update

Fontana Getaway Update - as of this morning there are over 100 now registered for this the fourth time edition of the Fontana MOA Getaway. All the lodge rooms are spoken for at the present time but there is space still available. There is room for both tent and RV camping down at the dam where Ranger Reece will be holed up and there are several cabins still available in our block. This morning's inventory includes (5) 2 bedroom cabins. (1) 3 bedroom cabin and (6) 1 bedroom cabins. So you can have your own private cabin or share one with friends!

As you can see there are still plenty of accommodations available. If you have been thinking about attending this event this year, let me encourage you to register today! This is an awesome event held in the middle of the fantastic North Carolina mountains. Full details and registration are available through the website. So do it...register today and we look forward to seeing you there!

Holy Cow! What happens if 3000 members show up? We gonna have two nationals this year? I am so totally looking forward to this.

well if that happens...it will be crowded...but 150 or so would be awesome! Music booked for Friday night and fun at the fire pit Friday and Saturday night...this is going to be an other really fun event! :dance

well if that happens...it will be crowded...but 150 or so would be awesome! Music booked for Friday night and fun at the fire pit Friday and Saturday night...this is going to be an other really fun event! :dance

Vance, because I know you don't hear it enough, thanks for organizing this and other events. You stepped up 5+ years ago and many of us are beniffiting from yours and others hard work. I look forward to seeing you this weekend.

I hope so!!! It is my first one so I hope to get so me good advise from you guys about where to ride. I am from Eastern NC and not very familiar with the Western side of the state.

:thumb

I worked up a series of ride loops for the first event and they continue to use them. There are far more roads than those, though... but difficult to fit onto reasonably-sized map because of all the detail.

A very good source for reference is America Rides Maps.

Ian

I hope so!!! It is my first one so I hope to get so me good advise from you guys about where to ride. I am from Eastern NC and not very familiar with the Western side of the state.

:thumb

I am from lower Alabama, and completely in the dark regarding the ways of western North Carolinians, or their legendary curvey roads. We may go on this adventure and not return. And in the words of Ewan Mcgreggor in "Long Way Down" why would we go if we knew before we left that we were going to make it back home safe and sound. Might as well just go to the local carnival and ride the roller coaster.

I'll be relying heavily on my GPS and butler maps and the knowledge of those that have gone before me. I plan on having a motorcycle, a tent, a Kermit chair, a fire, an adult beverage, and new friends to share it with... The best I can tell this is what the MOA is all about.

Last edited:
Ima coming!

Big ole me on my big purple 1995 K1100LT named Pōni (Hawaiian word meaning Purple. I am from Hawaii. Also sounds like a steel horse I ride) will be coming to the MOA Getaway Fontana, North Carolina, event. I attended MOA Getaway Pineville last year and had a blast. As long as flying bricks are welcome, I am there.

I will be registering for a room and all that tomorrow. Anything I should know? I bunked with BlueRidgeGS from here in a big muti-room cabin and it was awesome.

Chris,
Pele cried when I left the islands. (Rain on the mountains) A flying brick loco boy always welcome around my camp fire.

I will be driving from work with my bike on the back of a trailer, so yes, I will be that guy that will have a truck and a trailer in case it is needed. I will be more than happy to help anybody out with a lift if needed... I was planning on ridding there but I have to do some things for work early in the AM Friday :banghead...I will be there Friday afternoon. It is like a 6 hr drive for me.

Back