• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200S World Land Speed Record

flash412

Loose Cannon
11/08/2005

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - November 8, 2005... A 2006 production model BMW K 1200 S has set a world land speed record in the 1000 - 1350 cc stock, partially streamlined, naturally aspirated motorcycle class at Utah's famed Bonneville Salt Flats. The motorcycle, piloted by 56-year-old Andy Sills, of San Francisco, CA, reached an average speed of 173.57 mph and top speed of 176.789 mph after two runs on the vast, white plains, where hundreds of land speed records have been set and broken since the early 1900s in a variety of automobile and motorcycle classes.

"It was a rare opportunity for me and BMW," commented Sills, an avid BMW enthusiast, who, collectively, has amassed more than 300,000 miles on four BMW motorcycles within the last seven years. Sills went on to say, "The best part is that our record on the stock BMW K 1200 S matched to the mile, the historic last record run of 173.68 mph by Ernst Henne on a specially equipped streamlined BMW! He must have been watching over us."

P0024165.JPG

"PowerKraut makes Sushi out of RiceBurner record..."

Now why has noone thought of THAT headline yet? Even if it doesn't strictly apply :)

msalowit said:
"PowerKraut makes Sushi out of RiceBurner record..."

Now why has noone thought of THAT headline yet? Even if it doesn't strictly apply :)

Some one may of but the readers ate it up. :laugh :bolt

knary said:
People are reading that page.
Got a hit counter?

How many hits in a month on all the forums combined?

How many hits in a month on the rest of bmwmoa.org combined, WITHOUT including the forums?

flash412 said:
Got a hit counter?

How many hits in a month on the rest of bmwmoa.org combined, WITHOUT including the forums?

Give him a bit. He's got some stats he can pull from the web tracking software we use.

If you haven't been out there regularly, you might want to start visiting. We've got fresh bike news links posted daily and regular story rotation.

flash412 said:
Got a hit counter?

Flash,
I responded in humor and as a way to share a little bit more information.

FWIW, The home page is by far the most common entry point to the site. We do basic tracking on the site and traffic, generally speaking, continues to increase. In October 2004, we served less than 24 gigs of materials. This October, we served just shy of 40 gigs of material. Obviously the bulk of this is from the forum, as will probably always be the case. This kind of traffic is still somewhat meager compared to some other riding dedicated sites, but its moving in the right direction. AND its moving before we've made any significant additions to the site outside of the forum. Pages like the press release for the R12GSA and the photo of the week are moving up quickly in the list of most served pages.

knary said:
:nod

It's a good thing to announce things here on the forum.
Didnt mean to be disrespectful  just truthful. As content changes maybe my habits will also. :buds

knary said:
Did you really expect it?

Like I said, I can dream can't I?

I know the amount you and Vince are trying to do, so far, so good. It will all come in due time.

Last edited:
CARVERBOATBOY said:
Didnt mean to be disrespectful  just truthful. As content changes maybe my habits will also. :buds

You weren't disrespectful. :buds

Ideally there's all kinds of cross-polination between the forum and the rest of the site. The forum represents thousands of eyes and brains. You all will find and produce more stuff than I or the rest of the MOA staff could ever hope to. We hope that we can help you find that material and share some stuff that maybe you didn't find. :bikes

KBasa said:
If you haven't been out there regularly, you might want to start visiting. We've got fresh bike news links posted daily and regular story rotation.
Mebbe you should consider posting links in the forums to the articles in the main site for the folks who don't bother to read anything but the forums.

Back