• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My New to me R80/7

The 201 and 202 carbs are listed as belonging to an R80 (also the R45 series but pretty sure it's not that). Also, the carb appears to be the flat top series. The clip position for the jet needle is shown to be the #3 position, as measured from the blunt end of the needle. This would run the carb at the next to highest richest condition for the needle.

Thank you! I will check later this week. Hope they are set on the wrong position or are set on mismatched settings.

Stupid iPhone pictures never upload the right way up.

It has to do with the orientation data that is stored by iPhones that the VBulletin forum doesn't use. The only way to get them to load correctly is to first use a third party program to reorient the picture, then upload.

It has to do with the orientation data that is stored by iPhones that the VBulletin forum doesn't use. The only way to get them to load correctly is to first use a third party program to reorient the picture, then upload.

I usually upload to photobucket first. For a quick reference pic I thought I can take a gamble.

Ok - here's the two most important pages
1ac1ccf188deeb98e5eb6b0d80bf8c73.jpg
c3dfe095edda1893c88534e04b5c1534.jpg

Looks like you need clip pos 3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't paid super close attention but a well sorted running airhead in central IL seems to bring 3000-3500. Fwiw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like I figured out the problem. The throttle cables were slightly out of sync. Set those and rebalanced the carbs and it is all good. This thing pulls nicely through the whole power band. Thank you to everyones input on the needles. I checked those and made sure they were on the right setting.

But now the limping starter refuses to do its job. New one on order.

Bonus photos taken by my dad.

For the old Bosch starters I have had pretty good success with replacing the bushings at either end. I hear better things about the Valeo starters, but my personal experience with Valeo starters isn't super wonderful. I do like the NipponDenso starter fitted out for an airhead (available from Rick at MotorRad Elektrik).

http://www.motoelekt.com/starter.htm

The starter came in. I didn't expect much for $75. I was surprised to see it come in a nice box with some sort of spec/test sheet. This starter is much smaller and way lighter then the old one. Very happy with the quality. Only time will tell how long it will last.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/361139141086

It was fun, but it's time to say goodbye. New owner will be very happy with this bike. Very thankful for the support from this forum.

Back