• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Headlight bulb

bdfbeemer

RT in NC
I don't want to go the HID route. Any suggestion for a whiter than stock long lasting bulb? Seems all the ones I find have a short projected life.

Osram H7 Rallye, they are 65 watts 2100 Lumens as opposed to 1400 and in my experience have much better life than the standard H7. I was changing my H7's about one per year and my first Rallye lasted 2 years. You can find them here http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html or sometimes on Ebay. You may have to be careful on Ebay as I understand that they are sometimes not as advertised.

Osram H7 Rallye, they are 65 watts 2100 Lumens as opposed to 1400 and in my experience have much better life than the standard H7. I was changing my H7's about one per year and my first Rallye lasted 2 years. You can find them here http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html or sometimes on Ebay. You may have to be careful on Ebay as I understand that they are sometimes not as advertised.

Those sound pretty nice. Have you used them with the new R1200RT's and is our bikes power output/electrical system good to go for the increased power draw?? Thanks

I used them on my 2008 GSA with no problems for nearly 50,000 kms and on my HP2 Sport for about 5000 kms. I split an order of ten with a friend who put them in his 2013 GSA last year so he probably has 25,000 kms on his with no problems as well. I was changing the standard bulbs about every 12,000 to 16,000 kms. Can't speak for my new GSA as it has an LED headlight so I am not using the Rallye's in that bike. I know that some people have had trouble with the plastic bulb socket getting brittle from the heat even with the standard bulb but I have not seen that problem on any of my bikes. I think as long as the contact between the bulb and the socket is clean and tight you should be okay. If there is a bad contact there it could get worse very quickly as the poor connection will generate heat which will make the connection worse. I did buy some ceramic sockets from Candlepower just in case but I never had to install them. YMMV.

They are the best available lumens/lifespan, but DON'T expect them to be HID white or you'll be very disappointed.

Back