• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"brake failure" indicator on.

edhyland

I had the rear hub recall replacement work completed on my 2009 R1200RT. It was, thankfully, not cracked but the Service department @ the Daytona Beach BMW dealer replaced it anyway. While riding the bike, with in 20 miles after the repair, the "break failure" lamp stays on, ABS does not function. The bike stops fine, but I really like the ABS feature and want it back. I do not yet own the GS-911 diagnostic link so I am just asking if anyone else has had to deal with this problem. I have 12.7K miles on the bike. (all sensor wires look fine!)

My highly educated guess is that there is now a defect with the rear abs sensor. Bring it back to the dealer and have them look at it. They should be able to see where they screwed up.

I had the rear hub recall replacement work completed on my 2009 R1200RT. It was, thankfully, not cracked but the Service department @ the Daytona Beach BMW dealer replaced it anyway. While riding the bike, with in 20 miles after the repair, the "break failure" lamp stays on, ABS does not function. The bike stops fine, but I really like the ABS feature and want it back. I do not yet own the GS-911 diagnostic link so I am just asking if anyone else has had to deal with this problem. I have 12.7K miles on the bike. (all sensor wires look fine!)
Welcome to the forum!
Brake, break breaker.....no worries. Sometimes there is auto-correct that gets ahead of things.
Gary

Yes.
It should be the rear sensor. It got whacked, pulled loose, out of position, the wire pulled out, or cooked or crunched.
Take it back and see if they will fix it without charging your $300, or fix it yourself and save money, and possibly something else being whacked loose in the process.
dc

Obviously related to your recent 'service.' They should repair without cost to you, unless a defective part can be established.

For me, ABS went dormant with damage to rear sensor cable - the result of it not being routed and secured properly with a clip after some routine service.

Good luck.

Thanks

Yes.
It should be the rear sensor. It got whacked, pulled loose, out of position, the wire pulled out, or cooked or crunched.
Take it back and see if they will fix it without charging your $300, or fix it yourself and save money, and possibly something else being whacked loose in the process.
dc

Heading back to the dealer...

ABS motor?

When you first turn the bike on and it starts it's boot routine, do you hear the abs motor spin for a few seconds?
Quite possible on the 07 and up to have the brushes hang up and have the ABS motor not spin. I believe you will get a solid brake failure light instead of the flashing light that goes out after rolling a few feet. You can check this by pulling the right side fairing and air intake tube. You will be able to see the small black motor on the back of the ABS unit. Use a socket extension or long screwdriver and a small hammer to tap on the side of the motor a few times. If the brakes now go into normal mode after a few feet then it was the motor brushes hanging up. There are several articles on this site about how to correct this permanently

Last edited:
They probably forgot to tighten the sensor back down... Have done it after changing tires. Tighten screw, all will be well.

Also, check to make sure your handguard isn't making contact with your brake lever.

Cheers,

Abs

If there is no damage found on the ABS sensor then it could be the ABS itself. Mine was bad. Turned out to be bad brushes on the ABS motor. The bad news is that the ABS sells for around $2000, the good news is that there is a company called Module Masters that will rebuild the ABS unit for around $300 shipping included. Also they provide a 5 year warranty. The ABS unit was not difficult to remove and re-install. A flare-nut wrench, 1/4" wratchet, extension and universal joint, and a torx set is all you need. A GS-911 will come in handy when bleeding the brakes after the abs is re-installed but not required. It's recommended not to use a vacuum bleeder.

I R&R'd my ABS unit and bled my brakes without the GS-911. After bleeding the brakes, put the bike on the side stand and turn the handle bars to the left so the master cylinder is high. Any trapped air will migrate to the highest point in the system.

After I bought the GS-911 I bled them again and all I saw was a few micro bubbles come out. The 911 will run the ABS motor forcing fluid to circulate.

Using the GS-911 will save you some brake fluid but you don't need it. My bike had 15k miles when the ABS failed. Works great now.

I haven't had the BMW dealer replace the rear hub. I hate to take my bike over there even for recall work. They are pick-pockets with a showroom. Guess I'll have to eventually. I don't think the guy who owned the bike before me owned a torque wrench and that's why the rear hub cracks. I changed the gearbox lube this weekend and thought I was going to have to break out the 3/4" impact wrench to get the drain plug loose. I'm surprised the threads were still intact.

Brake Failure Icon Blues

My 08 R1200RT 32k has the dreaded icon glow brake failure bleu's(barritz) that has progressed thru 3 stages. First on hot restarts the icon stayed on for just a few minutes. Then the indicator glowed full time after hot restart, then lastly full time all time. It would be nice for you if Daytona BMW is responsible but I doubt so. It's the laying on of hands that's got your ride. Maybe you need an additional angel bell.

You have choice of 3 options: Put a small piece of electrical tape to cover the glow and just ride remembering your new stop zone; Cough up nearly $2k for OEM same parted replacement & a 2 yr warranty but you just kicked the can down the road; You/others R&R the ABS unit and pick your path of 2 options. See You Tube for backbench work that may or may not be the end of those particular problems. Or you can pack it up for shipment to Module Masters in Iowa and get a full and complete rebuild with a 5 yr warranty for MUCH MUCH less + your ride's computer still recognizes it.
Why BMW allows such nearly trivial(seemingly so) matters to tarnish our treasured Marque is a matter for bar stools. What has happened is a improperly tempered electric motor brush pressure spring has failed after repeated heat cyclings. That's the motor that runs when your ride is under ABS control.
The lack of ABSii demands on your ride has little to do with it's in-operative condition. Previous models of ABS(Servo versions) had such problems amongst others but not with ABSii. However I do believe that the occasional ABS exercise is good for skills test.

The blame for this malady as with other of our rides problems is the result of 1 of 3 or combination of these.
#1 Cost accountants are squeezing every partial Euro possible for the stockholders
#2 There is no collective automotive soul remaining in Munich.
#3 The 'Green' Party has completed it's attack on BMW as they did against others that everything that goes into mfg our favored marque be recyclable albeit a shortened life cycle.
71 2002tii White gone
72 Bavaria Silver gone
74 R900/6 Red gone
75 R90S Daytona Orange gone but not forgotten
08 R1200RT Bring'in me that horizon@HRS

Agreed replacing the ABS modulator via dealer is expensive, ask me why I know. (2007 model RT)
I felt I had three options: 1) Blow it off and live without ABS. 2) Get it fixed and shut up. 3)Trade or sell the bike as it was.
Didn't like option #1. Option #3 had a price tag on it larger than I wanted to bite off. Not having the technical know-how of most of you folks I went option #2.

Back