• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

SEAT!!!! 2015 RT with plank for a seat...

Just ordered my seat for my 2014 R1200RT from Sargent and was told they are having a Rally special for all sales this week at 10% off.

I just returned from a 3,000 mile trip with stock seat and thought it was great. Much better than my '05. Had several 400+ mile days. The overall riding position on this bike is superior. I used to get shoulder aches after awhile on previous RTs, but not any more. Perhaps I don't know what I've been missing, but I think the stock is fine.

I found the stock seat to be ok around town for commuting and such. After a couple of long trips I sprung for the Sargent seat and am evaluating that now. However, the Sargent seat does place you further back and now considering Iliumworks Bar Backs. Where does it end LOL. Just know, if your reach is stretch now (pun intended) the Sargent seat will make the reach a little longer. The other side of the coin is the Sargent seat does a much better job of keeping the boys a safe distance from the tank especially on quick stops.

I agree you will need the bar raisers from Ilium Works, I have to admit my arms were more relaxed with the low seat than with the Sargent now and I have the bar backs.
Where does it end? I hear you.. now I feel that wind protection is not as good and need a new windshield...At then end is a matter of making you feel comfortable.

Thanks for the additional feedback on the Sargent seat. Jeff, which stock seat do you have ? The Low or Standard ?

I'm looking at the Corbin as well and trying to avoid the slippery slope of having to change several things with the addition of a new seat. The stock seat has to go regardless because beyond 4K miles it starts to over stay its welcome.

Jamie

Thanks for the additional feedback on the Sargent seat. Jeff, which stock seat do you have ? The Low or Standard ?

I was using the stock standard height seat, in the "high" position. I am 6' 1". Well, maybe just 6' now...I seem to have reached the shrinking age...

Thanks Jeff. So at 6’1” using the stock Standard on High setting, you found the Sargent seat puts you a little higher. Did you get the Regular Height version of the Sargent or the Low version of that manufacturer ? I’m guessing you purchased the Sargent Regular Height.

Jamie

Thanks Jeff. So at 6’1” using the stock Standard on High setting, you found the Sargent seat puts you a little higher. Did you get the Regular Height version of the Sargent or the Low version of that manufacturer ? I’m guessing you purchased the Sargent Regular Height.

Jamie
The Sargent regular seat is not higher than the BMW regular seat, you tend to sit a bit further back from the handlebars. The height of the Sargent Regular is the same height of the BMW stock regular (well, technically it is 0.1 inches lower according to the Sargent website). I think the height of the Sargent Regular and the height of the BMW Regular feel the same.

The Sargent regular seat is not higher than the BMW regular seat, you tend to sit a bit further back from the handlebars. The height of the Sargent Regular is the same height of the BMW stock regular (well, technically it is 0.1 inches lower according to the Sargent website). I think the height of the Sargent Regular and the height of the BMW Regular feel the same.

Good clarification. Thanks for the details.

Jamie

After some research, here and elsewhere, I ordered a low seat from Sargent.
For me the original seat was only good for about 300 miles...

I've done about 800 miles (total...not at one time) on the stock OEM "High" seat on my new 2015 K52 RT. It was just OK for one 200-mile trip. I got the standard Airhawk and kept de-flating it until I didn't feel disconnected from the bike. After that, pretty darn good.

I'll give it a 400-mile ride (one shot) next week, but think there may not be a need to go for the Russell Day-Long (which I had on my 2008 K26 RT).

I have spent a fortune on seats over the years. Learned my lesson. Parked the RT early last winter and sent off the seat. On other bikes I have been able to find a used seat to ride on for a while till the custom seat came back. RT was too new for that at the time! I put Russell Day Long seats on everything now. Still a fortune, but just once per bike now.....

DSC01397_zpsf8bd91b8.jpg

I've done about 800 miles (total...not at one time) on the stock OEM "High" seat on my new 2015 K52 RT. It was just OK for one 200-mile trip. I got the standard Airhawk and kept de-flating it until I didn't feel disconnected from the bike. After that, pretty darn good.

I'll give it a 400-mile ride (one shot) next week, but think there may not be a need to go for the Russell Day-Long (which I had on my 2008 K26 RT).
I just had my airhawk r delivered today. Fits the bike like it was made for it. Looking forward to testing it out. I did a 5 day 3000 mile ride two weeks ago on the stock seat and after about 300 miles the pressure points on the sides of my butt and my nether region really became disconcerting.

Hopeful the airhawk solves those issues like it promises. If I can ride 600 to 800 miles in a day in comfort I'd be a happy person.

I feel your pain

I recently got my first BMW, 2015 R1200RT. The best bike ever, except the seat. Last weekend I got Seth Lamm seat. For me it is fantastic. Seth works with you and understands the bikes. His prices are very competitive. I am 6'2" and 215. I am also in my 60's and not as limber as I once was so a good seat is very important. Good luck on your search.

Back