• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front lighting connector replacement/ repair needed 08RT

dougalls

I have been trying to install new horns (found a pair of used R1150RT horns) and a Signal Dynamics headlight modulator recently. Screwed up and cut the hot leads too close to the connector...now I need a new one but cannot for the life of me find the part number or a replacement.

Can anyone help?

IMG_0231 by dougalls2007, on Flickr

IMG_0229 by dougalls2007, on Flickr

This is the plug that goes into the back of the nacelle (?) it has ground/ highbeam/ lowbeam/ lowbeam/ r signal/ l signal

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 122
I ran into a similar situation once and found that buried in the parts fiche are often several pages of connectors for this sort of repair. Take a look at this page from the fiche, particularly at the two panes titled "Repair Cable Main Cable Harness." There are a lot of connectors there; with some luck, the one you need will appear.

Thanks Dave...saw that but no luck...part of my problem is I can't tell which numbers on the connector are the part numbers (i've tried searching for various assortments of the numbers on the connector) so I can't do what I thought would be the simple thing and simply look up then order the part. Maybe the dealer will know (that will be 567$ please...LOL).

Most of these connectors are manufactured by either Tyco or AMP. I've had success with this company. Call them or shoot them a photo and see if they can locate it. I'm searching for pa66-gf30 but that might not be the entire part number.

http://www.mouser.com/teampconnectors/

If you can pull the top plug out with the cut wires and post a close up picture of both sides of it with all part numbers stamped, it will be much easier to find. The dealer will try to sell you the whole harness. Many times the connectors are available from electronic distributors, but not from the dealer. So don't look for a BMW part number, look for the AMP or Tyco number. Photos will help a lot. I found this out a few months ago when a couple of the black plastic H7 headlight bulb connectors cracked on my '09RT. I found the connectors for I think 40 cents a piece!

Last edited:
I don't know that connector, but most of the ones on the bike that I've seen are standard pin or blade-type that you should be able to release from the housing using the special tool developed for that purpose. If you do end up cutting the rest of the wires you could extract the connectors, patch in jumpers to the wiring harness, and reinsert the connectors. A good electronics store should be able to help you with that.

Too bad about cutting the wires. Most of us can relate ...

JayJay

Thanks MOAs! I think the photo shows all the numbers...this is the plug from the $1500 harness that you have to unplug to remove the front nacelle which contains the headlights. The PA66-GF30 is actually the type of plastic...that's the only number that pops up anything when I input it. I will check NAPA today for an appropriate connector.

Ya the mistake was mine for sure but the instructions from Signal Dynamics didn't make it clear that I was to cut the hot leads in "two"...I should have realized the lights didn't have power (the signals did though bec they weren't cut)...bah!

1084 Universal Harness Instructions -WEB.jpg

I ran into a similar situation once and found that buried in the parts fiche are often several pages of connectors for this sort of repair. Take a look at this page from the fiche, particularly at the two panes titled "Repair Cable Main Cable Harness." There are a lot of connectors there; with some luck, the one you need will appear.

Sorry, I missed your post.

Does the part with the PA66-GF30 unplug from the part labeled BMW 09 4016 01 61487 1? Or is it one contiguous piece? Hard to tell from the pics...Looks like a 6-pin plug, and I could only find 4 and smaller on the fiche. That's why I think you have to find the manufacturer of the plug itself. You know someone, somewhere built it, and you can be even more sure BMW won't tell you who. BTDT.

Does the part with the PA66-GF30 unplug from the part labeled BMW 09 4016 01 61487 1? Or is it one contiguous piece? Hard to tell from the pics...Looks like a 6-pin plug, and I could only find 4 and smaller on the fiche. That's why I think you have to find the manufacturer of the plug itself. You know someone, somewhere built it, and you can be even more sure BMW won't tell you who. BTDT.

There are 4 and 8 pin connectors...It would be nice to see the business end of the male and female connectors.

One other option. A while ago I needed a special part for my '09 RT. Couldn't find it anywhere. Figured RT-P's use the same parts as RT's. I found Ian Smyth from R.I.G.S. Motorsports:
http://rigsmotorsports.com/
who sourced me an exact match for what I needed from a totaled R1200RT-P. His prices are great, quick delivery, and is an all around nice guy. Highly recommend him for parts. He bought a load of decommissioned RT-P's and if you shoot him a picture of your plug, he might be willing to cut the end off one of his harnesses and leave you enough length of wire to re-solder it on to yours.

Headlights plug by dougalls2007, on Flickr

That's the "male" part where the mangled female part plugs in.

NAPA= no clue
Cycle wrecker in town= no clue but has a 2000-2003 K12RS he can part out if its the same plug
BMW dealer (Endras)= no clue will send to BMW canada

Thanks Ponch...I have messages in to BMW Canada, RIGs, this place http://whiteproducts.com, and I'll try your suggestion. Missed a week of near perfect riding weather here bec of my own ineptitude :-( oh well, I've had time for backrest, new horns, complete 100k service minus the final drive (guess that's my job today). Good thing it's a crappy calm warm and sunny Saturday here in the GTA...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This was the Kisantech reply:

We can make a 6 pin connector for you with 6 wire leads. The cost will be $29.99 plus $6.00 shipping. Let us know if you want to proceed.

So about $45 canadian.

Hopefully it won't be a month long project :)

Still nothing from BMW...they disappoint me more every day.

BMW says: empty socket 7$ 11$ per wire x 6, $250 for crimping tools, no mention of plugs or actual connectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was the Kisantech reply:

We can make a 6 pin connector for you with 6 wire leads. The cost will be $29.99 plus $6.00 shipping. Let us know if you want to proceed.

So about $45 canadian.

Hopefully it won't be a month long project :)

Still nothing from BMW...they disappoint me more every day.

Sounds like a deal to me.

Still waiting on connector with pigtails from Kisantech...cleared customs should be here by friday latest (I paid $30 shipping on the $30 part hoping it would be quick...)

http://youtu.be/7orqGTmbOmY if u go to 1:40 you'll see the tools (pink and green--Good for different applications I guess) for repairing the connectors (~$25 at Princess Auto) http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-pc-automotive-terminal-removal-tool-set/A-p8006462e not sue if the waterproof grommets, that are on many of the motorcycle connectors, will be salvageable, but I think I'll try while I have to wait for the part to arrive from Colorado. I'll let u know.

This is another youtube vid showing various connectors being poked and prodded with a similar tool...kinda wished I had found these earlier :-( https://youtu.be/-7oSpcL1jBY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back