• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Search topic or word....Can't find what I know is there

dennisdarrow

#4869 Earned Lifetime mem
Last night in "Airheads" a fella was talking about finding some red flakes in his gas........I replied about POR-15 and how it had worked quite well for me in the past. I suggested to him to do a search about relining his tank and he would find lots of stuff.............

OK.........after that, I went to do a search of my own so I could go back and suggest a couple of places for him to go...............This is the first time I have used "search" since the "CHANGE"..........I FOUND NOTHING.........I searched for POR-15, Reline Gas Tank, and also a couple of other topics that I knew should be there as I had talked about the subject. I tried "Advanced Search" and then just the search box above...........NOTHING..........On one search, up came 111 pages from "Airheads" about everything..........

Again, I searched for stuff that I had discussed in threads that I KNEW should be there..........NOTHING........Sooo, what am I doing wrong???????.........God bless........Dennis

Dennis,

I've found the search functions within various web boards sometimes or frequently don't do what I ask (or what I think I've asked) or are clumsy to use.

A good work-around is to use Google to conduct the search. On the Google search page, you can enter the site you want searched and the search terms in the Google search box. For example, if you wanted to search the MOA Forums for "brakes" and "ATE" but not "Brembo," you'd enter this in the Google search box:

site: forums.bmwmoa.org brakes and ATE -Brembo

Dennis -

It's been pretty well documented that the forum search tool is not really that robust. The "site" feature using Google actually does a pretty good job. You kind of have to know what unique words you might be looking for to help focus the search.

I can say that in your use of the forum search, an entry like "POR-15" will be broken into POR and 15, not the whole phrase together. Note that use of quotes around it won't help. And the forum won't let you search for three letter words, so POR won't be found. That three letter feature can't be changed...tried it and it doesn't change.

One thing that could help when using the forum tool is to tick the area that says it must include posts by your specific username and then tick the box to say exact. That way, if you remember a phrase about the subject that you specifically posted, there's a chance it will show up.

HTH...

Last night in "Airheads" a fella was talking about finding some red flakes in his gas........I replied about POR-15 and how it had worked quite well for me in the past. I suggested to him to do a search about relining his tank and he would find lots of stuff.............

OK.........after that, I went to do a search of my own so I could go back and suggest a couple of places for him to go...............This is the first time I have used "search" since the "CHANGE"..........I FOUND NOTHING.........I searched for POR-15, Reline Gas Tank, and also a couple of other topics that I knew should be there as I had talked about the subject. I tried "Advanced Search" and then just the search box above...........NOTHING..........On one search, up came 111 pages from "Airheads" about everything..........

Again, I searched for stuff that I had discussed in threads that I KNEW should be there..........NOTHING........Sooo, what am I doing wrong???????.........God bless........Dennis
Hi Dennis, I don't know if you saw this months Best of Forum on the use of the forum "tag cloud". I saw the thread you were looking for-
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?76453-1989-R100-GS-red-grit-inside-fuel-tank
and thought it was pretty good. I added the "tags" as I'm prone to do, and encourage others to do as well. The system is pretty well outlined in the BOF.
I'm not really familiar with the POR gas tank treatment but I am familiar with the POR and have good luck. I'll have to investigate the POR gas tank method as I was just about to order the Yamaha version for the TW200.
Hope this helps.
Gary

Just received these error messages at the top of my screen when trying to search.

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupMessage::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\bmwmoa.org\Forum\packages\vbforum\item\socialgroupmessage.php on line 261

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupDiscussion::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\bmwmoa.org\Forum\packages\vbforum\item\socialgroupdiscussion.php on line 337

Just received these error messages at the top of my screen when trying to search.

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupMessage::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\bmwmoa.org\Forum\packages\vbforum\item\socialgroupmessage.php on line 261

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupDiscussion::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\bmwmoa.org\Forum\packages\vbforum\item\socialgroupdiscussion.php on line 337
We have seen the random code and pretty much have figured out why. Just need the tech support to get a chance to mess with it.
OM

Back