• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Montana, never been, what to expect?

Can't speak to the juju, but one of my favourite fuel stops is the Sinclair at Big Timber; called The Fort. After you fuel up, you can go into the deli, get an ice cream and then sit outside on the benches, in the shade. They also have a gun shop and gift store. It's a useful top up spot before you ride into the Mid Continent Fuel Gap between Harlowton and Great Falls.

I recall that building near the hotel we stayed at...the wind was howling and woke up to 38 degrees F mid June...we didn't enjoy the shady benches nor any ice cream:laugh:laugh:laugh
We tried the valley route on 12 ...think it was 12 towards Helena.The
Interstate did not look fun that day, besides having big signs warning motorcyclists to avoid it:eek

We tried the valley route on 12 ...think it was 12 towards Helena..

That's a nice run, and there's a nice little cafe at White Sulphur Springs, right across from the Exxon.

The Interstate did not look like fun that day....

Especially when it's raining, and the semis are throwing off huge rooster tails. When I go to Red Lodge, I have to ride the section between Big Timber and Columbus.

The ride from Columbus to Red Lodge on Hwy 78 is one of my favorite quick runs. Good road surface, good visibility, lightly patrolled, long sweepers and easy to get a rhythm going, and then there is the Dew Drop Inn in Absarokee. :dance:usa:dance

I always check the Dept of Transportation road websites for construction updates. Last year they gave me some good info on some roads to avoid because of delays and when it might be tricky for driving a motorcycle. Some states like Idaho have an app for your smartphone that provides good updates. I also start the day with a road weather check. Then as I move along I check my weather app on my smartphone - last year I dodged some pretty nasty thurnderstorms by timing my route. Some years (like last year) have had snow in June so I had to make alternate plans and/or routes. Finally when eating in a local cafe or restaurant I ask about any travel issues. I avoid the superslabs (Interstates) as much as possible preferring state and county roads. It can be slower and farther, but there's a lot more to see. I almost always camp and only on occasion do I motel it. Finally, I tend to travel early in the day - less traffic - and get to camp by 3-4 PM.

New Jersey? I think I would gladly trade 10 New Jerseys for one Montana any day.
But I also like Idaho a lot. And Utah. And Colorado a little, it's so scenic.
So Montana has kept this thread going for a long time.
That says something right there.
dc

The ride from Columbus to Red Lodge on Hwy 78 is one of my favorite quick runs. Good road surface, good visibility, lightly patrolled, long sweepers and easy to get a rhythm going.... :dance:usa:dance

That's a great piece of road, and I have great memories both riding, and driving it. It's kind of the aperitif for the main course Beartooth Pass.

We almost missed it, going to my first Beartooth Rendezvous, but luckily my brother had a better map than me, and spotted it.

Back