• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Montana, never been, what to expect?

The ride up from Denver to the Wyoming border is almost like being in a suburb of Denver. Traffic can be bad, but once you clear Fort Collins it starts to clear out and you begin to feel like your in Colorado, but that is short lived because once you cross the border it gets flat and from Cheyene to Casper it is an absolute bore as well. Don't get me wrong it is desolate and beautiful but it is flat. Weather wise it could be comfortable to hot in July and August. In my trip to Alaska this year I went through Montana and Wyoming and the weather was in the low to mid 80s. Expect storms to pop up along the way. From Casper on up again it is flat and boring but the 80 mile an hour speed limit helps the time pass. It is the same all the way to Billings. Except when you hit Buffalo and Sheridan Wyoming. They sit at the base of the Big Horn range and I would suggest cutting across them to come into Billings from the backside up through Worland or Greybull on the 16 or 14 into the 310 on up to Billings. I have done this ride several times and it is boring but once you accept the beauty of the plains and travelling at 85-90mph you adjust. It can be hot so be prepared and the weather can change on a dime. But you will love it. It is lonely but so expansive.

Unless you are short for time and need to get thru a western state quickly (why?) there is NO REASON to run interstate out here. From Denver to WYO can be done on gorgeous roads with spectacular views. In fact, they could easily be the best of the entire trip!
such as: get on the Peak to Peak in Central City/Blackhawk (CO 119). Catch CO 7 above/west of Lyons and roll on into Estes Park, and over the top of the world on Trail Ridge Road (US 34). head west on 40 for just a few miles, then take Willow Creek Pass (CO 125) due north to Walden. Continue on to Saratoga Springs, and then catch onto US287 in Rawlins on your way towards Grand Tetons/Yellowstone. Good stuff there.
There's some beautiful riding in the billings area- but anything close to Sheridan WY is NOT it, nor is running I-25. That's like being given a jail sentence that involves only bread and water, while you can look out your cell window and smell and see some great exotic cooking going on right across the street! Why in the name of all that is motorcycleholy would anyone want to do that to themselves?!?!?

There was always a speed limit of sorts in MT. Drivers were limited to "Reasonable and Prudent" speeds. If a LEO was cruising on the interstate at 80 MPH and was passed by a BMW doing 100 MPH, no problem. If he was passed by a ten year old mini-van with a family of five in it, then he could stop and cite the driver and it would probably stick. LEOs of the day will say that they had ample discretion in dealing with idiotic behaviors.

There was always a speed limit of sorts in MT. Drivers were limited to "Reasonable and Prudent" speeds. If a LEO was cruising on the interstate at 80 MPH and was passed by a BMW doing 100 MPH, no problem. If he was passed by a ten year old mini-van with a family of five in it, then he could stop and cite the driver and it would probably stick. LEOs of the day will say that they had ample discretion in dealing with idiotic behaviors.

I see my problem. I misunderstood and thought they said "reasonably imprudent". Ah ha! Now I see.

With freedom comes responsibility. Just because it is legal to operate a vehicle at faster than normal speeds, doesn't mean you have to. I road to the Missoula back in '98 and rode in much faster pace than normal. The bike was capable and so was I. The bike still is,but my ability is less. My vision and reflexes are not as good. I adjust by riding to my current abilities. Common sense comes into play.

With freedom comes responsibility. Just because it is legal to operate a vehicle at faster than normal speeds, doesn't mean you have to. I road to the Missoula back in '98 and rode in much faster pace than normal. The bike was capable and so was I. The bike still is,but my ability is less. My vision and reflexes are not as good. I adjust by riding to my current abilities. Common sense comes into play.

It has been awhile since you've ridden on our western higways, has it not? :whistle

This is the kind of info I was looking for when I posted the "what to expect" portion of my subject line. I don't have much desire to ride 80-90 mph. On any highway. I'll be checking my mirrors frequently.:gerg

Just because it is legal to operate a vehicle at faster than normal speeds, doesn't mean you have to.

What is normal?

I get the ride in your personal comfort level, just be aware you may be the hazard for the other road users. Kind of like riding in the fast lane with cars jamming up behind you. TX has a Slower Traffic Stay Right, which is not the same as other states Left Lane for Passing Only ( TX has this as well).
Being slow/careful doesn't always mean safer.

We have a tollway between San Antonio and Austin that is 85...you will get destroyed not keeping pace. Now, I will not travel by bike after sunset here as the feral hogs on the southern end have caused issues...nor on the airhead...it will go that speed as long as I want it to, but it isn't my idea of a freeway rocket.

PB230036-L.jpg

PB230039-L.jpg

Still legal as I was pacing a trooper and he waved...missed that shot as I was concentrating on moving past 15 under drivers in the left lane like he was doing.

I scratch my head when crossing state borders on the same US highway or Interstate, same geography, same road standards and yet as much as 20 MPH difference...WHAT changed? Rhetorical question folks...It's common sense outweighed by legislation and antiquated fuel saving reasoning. YOMV:wave

Montana has fast roads and roads you don't have to go fast on...all good:thumb

I found roads in Montana the same in terms of speed, driver's ability, etc., as those in California (less crowded except near cities though) Oregon, Washington, Idaho, etc. Scenery varies and can be beautiful in each state. Is fun to avoid freeway when you can. Drivers seem about the same in all to me. It's still US and not exotic. Big state and lots of open country, but you can find some of that in most states.

Montana has fast roads and roads you don't have to go fast on...all good:thumb

At the summit of Beartooth Pass, when entering MT from WY the speed limit is posted as 70 MPH (I think it is 50 in WY, but don't quote me on that). It would take a highly skilled rider to come close to maintaining that speed. You are far more likely, however, to be stuck behind a parade of cruisers doing 25-30 MPH. It is the moving road blocks that present the real hazard in my opinion. There are many roads posted at 70 where in fact slower speeds are prudent.

I was surprised at the speed limit change on BT Pass entering MT the first time we rode it. My brother on his Victory Visian was happy staying under that speed and wondered why I picked up the pace a bit.... There was still a lot of wet snowmelt corners where 70 was iffy. Sometimes slower allows one to enjoy the scenery.

Rolling roadblocks are frustrating, especially when they blast in the passing zones and then crawl the rest of the route. Be it 2 or 4 wheeled...or 3 wheel vehicles:D

A lot of our local roads are being re-signed to 65 or 70 from the 1970's 55. Habits are hard to break and I often catch myself near the low end , even more so at certain times of day or rutting season.

I'm ready for a MT fix... just not the 50+ MPH gusty side winds we encountered near Big Timber headed to Helena :doh

Big Timber has bad juju. There is some sort of tear in the time, space continuum that makes for evil influences on motorcycles. Twice we have stopped there for fuel and had a battery die at the pumps.

Wyoming Wind!

Looking at making the trip from Salt Lake City. I've traveled in Wyoming for business for many years, and I can attest that the wind, particularly in the South half, central and eastern portion (yes, most of the state!) never stops blowing, day and night. Gust of 15-20 MPH is considered a "calm" day in Casper! That said, I love the state, and it will be a beautiful ride. I suspect my F650 will have a challenging time in that state!

I've also spent some time in Billings, and can concur with the member who opined it wasn't the "nicest" part of the state. If you have time to ride farther West, the Missoula and Helena areas are some of the most beautiful places in the West.

This will be late July, so I'm hopeful of no snow. Latest I've been snowed on was in Jackson, around June 15th!

However you get there or return I highly suggest visiting Cody Wy and the Buffalo Bill Museum. Plan on a one full day minimum.
As a bonus you can ride the Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways to get or leave there.

The Museum is an AMAZING place. If you are minimally interested in guns there is a section that pretty much covers the history of the gun. There is an amazingly accurate history of the American Indian as well. I can not express how great this visit is.

If you are camping there is a KOA at the edge of town which worked for us when we came through.... Laundry and showers, both very clean!

However you get there or return I highly suggest visiting Cody Wy and the Buffalo Bill Museum. Plan on a one full day minimum.
As a bonus you can ride the Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways to get or leave there.

The Museum is an AMAZING place. If you are minimally interested in guns there is a section that pretty much covers the history of the gun. There is an amazingly accurate history of the American Indian as well. I can not express how great this visit is.

If you are camping there is a KOA at the edge of town which worked for us when we came through.... Laundry and showers, both very clean!

+1 on the Museum. The KOA has windbreaks for most of the tent camping spaces and they also help with providing shade. The prospect of high winds in late July has been overstated in my experience. We've ridden in the Cody, Red Lodge area several times in the past three years and have not encountered heavy winds in the summer. But, hey, stuff happens.

Be aware that there is an annual rally in Red Lodge called the Beartooth Rally (not to be confused with the Beartooth Rendezvous in mid-August). It was held 18-20 July in 2014; the 2015 dates are TBA, but should be around the same time. This is a Harley crowd rally. There will be many gaggles of formation riding Harleys doing well under the speed limit and caring not even a little about who gets stuck behind them on the roads into and out of Red Lodge, including the Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph and access to Yellowstone. Cody also sees a great deal of related traffic before and after the rally.

Big Timber has bad juju. There is some sort of tear in the time, space continuum that makes for evil influences on motorcycles. Twice we have stopped there for fuel and had a battery die at the pumps.
I will never stop at Big Timber. ( note to self ) . :)

I will never stop at Big Timber. ( note to self ) . :)

Big Timber has bad juju...AKBeemer

Can't speak to the juju, but one of my favourite fuel stops is the Sinclair at Big Timber; called The Fort. After you fuel up, you can go into the deli, get an ice cream and then sit outside on the benches, in the shade. They also have a gun shop and gift store. It's a useful top up spot before you ride into the Mid Continent Fuel Gap between Harlowton and Great Falls.

Back