• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Paint

motodan

I've lost track...when did BMW quite providing touch up paint for their motorcycles, from their bike dealers?

Might depend upon where you live. About 10 years ago I couldn't get the BMW paint from a CA dealer because it didn't meat California air standards for volatiles. A friend found the same thing with touch up paint for his Honda. In his case he ordered from an out-of-state dealer.

Might depend upon where you live. About 10 years ago I couldn't get the BMW paint from a CA dealer because it didn't meat California air standards for volatiles. A friend found the same thing with touch up paint for his Honda. In his case he ordered from an out-of-state dealer.

Could be...I know its not available from any of the ONE dealers we have in Indiana....LOL ;(

I got some Color Rite touch up for my Glacier Ice R1200RT and should not have bothered. It was expensive and does not come close. I just had a small nick from some jerk opening his door in a parking lot. Unless you have a large amount of damage I wouldn't bother.

For a while, and maybe still, the BMW car dealers could sell the touch up paint sticks. Many of the moto colors were also car colors. You would need the bike's paint code, not trim code under the seat, and then hope the car dealer's parts guy could find the corresponding BMW part number.

Couple of years from what I understand. There is no paint code for the Ebony Metallic. My painter had to come up with his own mix. Looks real good on the topbox.

My painter had to come up with his own mix. Looks real good on the topbox.

Same here. My recently acquired 07 R1200RT in Biarritz Blue Metallic had some minor scratches and scuffs from one fall over and normal boot dragging over the cases and the top case was not color matched. A local body shop that specializes in insurance work had the equipment to color match it perfectly with their own mix. Instead of touching up they repainted all the parts that were damaged plus the topcase lid. Everything looks brand new and matches the parts not painted to a tee. For both mirror covers, both sidecase lids and the topcase lid the cost was $350.

Actual paint code for quartz blue is A18, which coincides with 2006 3 series auto color of same name. I ordered from Paint Express. I know BMW was still selling touch up paint in '09. Guess they decided it wasn't worth competing with all the specialized paint outlets.

Back