• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Touch-up paint

miller7201

Folks, the inevitable happened and I dropped my triple black F900XR. No significant damage, other than my pride, but I have some minor scratches on my fairing. I can resolve those with some wet sanding but I'm having no luck finding a source for touch-up paint for the fairing. My local Motorrad dealer directed me to Colorite, I've also been in touch with TouchUpDirect but no luck with either of those. If you have any intel on this please let me know.

Thanks!

After attending the 40th reunion of the 77 R100RS I dropped my bike. Prior to attending the reunion I had the bike painted with pinstripes to the original scheme for that bike.

I was about half-way back home and was tired. In the hotel parking lot I got a bit off balance and over the bike went. The fairing was scratched pretty noticeably. Once I was home one of
the local bike shops told me of a local feller that did paint work. I took him the damaged part and he repainted it. It looks better than ever.

To match the paint color he took the part to a place where purchased paint. They had a color analyzer (scanner) that could exactly specify the various paint colors to
achieve a match.

I expect that this color matching is fairly common. It might be worthwhile to contact some local bike shops / paint shops about the color matching.

Colorite was able to hook me up with a touch-up paint pen labeled as Titan Silver which is the color of my 04 R115RT. The age of your bike may be the issue. I have also had a automotive paint supply company use their scanner to purchase a pint of touch up PPG paint for a fairing repair. The good thing about scanning is that it can deliver a closer match when trying to deal with aged or faded paint. The only problem with my experience was the level, type or concentration of metallic they used. The fairing looks good until it get out under the sun and then you can more easily see the difference between the original BMW and PPG paint by the sparkle. Good luck...

Back