• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Day Ride Routes

shandeland

Club President
With the help of Stuart Shakespeare and Dan Reese I have some ride routes that I'm ready to share.

First up is the Back way to Aerostich

http://goo.gl/maps/IGO3B

Attachments

• Back way to Aerostich.GPX
    139.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 8.18.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 8.18.40 PM.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 207
  • Minnesota State Fair to Aero Design & Manufacturing Co - Google Maps.pdf
    150.4 KB · Views: 29

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 8.41.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 8.41.26 PM.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 197
  • Scenic Route to Delta Diner.GPX
    158.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Minnesota State Fair to Delta Diner - Google Maps.pdf
    122 KB · Views: 11
Stockholm via Twisty CR O

Here is a fun looking one......

I took the liberty of making a small change here on the pdf and the screen shot. Running down Stage Coach Road instead of the way the gpx file says. Minor change so don't get too upset that the two don't match exactly.

http://goo.gl/maps/Z6e1W

Attachments

• Stockholm via Twisty CR O.GPX
    99.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 9.02.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 9.02.20 PM.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Minnesota State Fair to Stockholm, WI - Google Maps.pdf
    99.2 KB · Views: 9
Southern loop to Stockholm Mn 60 and Letter Roads

you could use this one in reverse to ride back to the fairgrounds or vice-a-versa

Southern loop to Stockholm Mn 60 and Letter Roads

http://goo.gl/maps/fzfkz

Attachments

• Southern loop to Stockholm Mn 60 and Letter Roads.GPX
    166.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Minnesota State Fair to Stockholm, WI - Google Maps.pdf
    113.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 9.15.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 9.15.01 PM.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 193
Fall Color Ride

Fall Color Ride, Lewie Marshall gets the credit for this great ride.

http://goo.gl/maps/hu0t2

The links in these posts are best opened in google maps classic so they show the turn by turn directions. This routes has more pages of turns than I could include in this post.

Starting at White Bear Lake at Highway 61 and highway 96 east.( just past McDonalds on the right side)
Right on Highway 96, go 8 miles to Mendel, left onto Mendel.
go 1.9 miles, turn right onto Manning.
go .2 miles turn left onto 110th.
go 2.6 miles, turn right onto 7/122nd N.
go 1 mile turn left onto Manning trail/7.
go .3 miles turn right onto 7/Square Lake Trail.
go 2.3 miles turn left onto Norell Av.
go 3.6 miles turn right onto 170th St. N.
go 3.8 miles turn left onto 4/Broadway to Marine on St. Croix. Across highway 95 see porta potties if a stop is necessary.
go left onto North highway 95 14.5 miles to Highway 8. (just before Hy. 8 there is a place to purchase maple syrup, make change from the mason jar on porch of house)
turn Rt. onto East highway 8 3.1 miles to Taylor's Falls, Mn.
continue East on Highway 8 .3 miles to St. Croix Falls, Wi.
Turn left onto highway 87 ( through St. Croix Falls) go 2.9 miles. Turn left onto the River Road, small green, sign look closely for it.
go 8.4 miles then turn Rt. onto 230th/ river road
go 10.5 miles then Right onto Co. Rd. O.
go 1 mile turn left onto 87
go 7.1 miles then turn right onto Highway 70. (Grantsburg, Wi. ,BP station there for gas and comfort)
go 9.7 miles turn right onto old Wi. 35 (small sign on right) note, there is a creamery that has a cheese shop between Grantsburg and old highway 35.
Turn right onto old Wi. 35
go 2.8 miles then turn right onto 360th
go 2.4 miles turn left onto co. Rd. W./175th
go 7 miles to Frederick, Wi.
turn right onto highway 48
go 6.1 miles, go straight to county Rd. Z where highway 48 curves to right. * watch for traffic coming around the curve from the right.
go 4.7 to highway 87, turn left onto 87
go 6.3miles to Cushing, Wisc. Holiday gas station there and on mainstreet of Cushing is Suzy's Snowshoe tavern. Good inexpensive food. Not at all fancy.
continue south on highway 87 to St. Croix. Falls and highway 8.
two choices at highway 8. ( #1)Turn right onto 8 to Taylors Falls. Adium gas station has non oxy premium.
Continue West on 8 to 95. south on 95 through Marine on St. Croix, Bay Port, Stillwater to 94. East on 94 to St. Paul
#2 at Highway 8 in St. Croix Falls turn left. (east)
in about 10 miles turn Rt. onto 65
in a while you will get to Star Prairie, Wi. there is a nice park by the river with rest rooms.
continue on 65 through New Richmond. follow signs to interstate 94 to St. Paul

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 9.56.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 9.56.11 PM.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Fall Color Ride.gpx
    80.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Money Creek Campground

Maybe on your way home you want to take a scenic ride and see where the MN Cub holds it's annual Hiawatha Rally. Here is a fun ride that stays on the MN side of the river.

http://goo.gl/maps/gxItu

Attachments

• money Creek ride.jpg
    money Creek ride.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Larpenteur Ave W to Money Creek Haven - Google Maps.pdf
    139.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Money Creek.gpx
    82.8 KB · Views: 6
Stockholm is a great place to have lunch.

Great routes you have shared.

Thank you.

Your welcome. I hope many riders can find these useful. They can be used for day rides or for part of your journey to or from the rally site.

Steven Handeland
2014 BMWMOA International Hospitality Co-Chair.

Ride Routes+

With the help of Stuart Shakespeare and Dan Reese I have some ride routes that I'm ready to share.

First up is the Back way to Aerostich

http://goo.gl/maps/IGO3B

I would absolutely love, love, love to see us start to compile a directory of GPX Ride Routes. Not just for the Rally but for everywhere. If possible separate folders by Country/State.

Thanks a lot for posting this. I'll be coming from Duluth (staying overnight in Superior) to the Rally so I'll use this route. Thanks.

If you have time take the route and go to the Delta Diner, I found that place 2 weeks ago great breakfast! worth the stop.

Here is a fun looking one......

I took the liberty of making a small change here on the pdf and the screen shot. Running down Stage Coach Road instead of the way the gpx file says. Minor change so don't get too upset that the two don't match exactly.

http://goo.gl/maps/Z6e1W
:clap
Great list of roads. O is pretty much on my list for every single bike that I review.
-K

Minnesota River Valley National Scenic Byway

Great ride to the city of charm and tradition New Ulm! Start in Belle Plaine with breakfast at Emma Krumbee's and then on to the Byway.
Several historic sites along the way, in Henderson,Le Sueur, and Mankato. And then New Ulm home to the second oldest family owned brewery in America. August Schell Brewery founded in 1860 offers a walking garden, museum, gift shop and brewery tours! Hermann Monument a 102-foot monument towering over New Ulm, climb the staircase to the top for a stunning view of the river valley. Historic downtown shopping and a 45-foot Glockenspiel.

Attachments

• minnesota scenic river valley.jpg
    minnesota scenic river valley.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 117
Mindoro Cut

http://goo.gl/maps/iXKHd Lots of good roads Wisconsin. The Mindoro Cut is an interested place and a fun ride. Top Dawgs has 108 burgers to choose from.

Attachments

• 20140713082011-51147-data.gpx
    150.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 8.46.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 8.46.44 PM.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 96
Great ride to the city of charm and tradition New Ulm! Start in Belle Plaine with breakfast at Emma Krumbee's and then on to the Byway.
Several historic sites along the way, in Henderson,Le Sueur, and Mankato. And then New Ulm home to the second oldest family owned brewery in America. August Schell Brewery founded in 1860 offers a walking garden, museum, gift shop and brewery tours! Hermann Monument a 102-foot monument towering over New Ulm, climb the staircase to the top for a stunning view of the river valley. Historic downtown shopping and a 45-foot Glockenspiel.

If you click the link symbol by the printer button and share the link then we will have the link to the map page and can print it. Also then I can make your route into a GPX file.
Thanks for helping with routes.

Thanks for all the day gpx files. I'm hoping to make it to the rally and was looking for some good day rides while up north. Does anyone have a good route to the source of the Mississippi River? Since I live in south Louisiana and grew up living right next to the river, I'd like to go to the northern end.

Thanks for all the day gpx files. I'm hoping to make it to the rally and was looking for some good day rides while up north. Does anyone have a good route to the source of the Mississippi River? Since I live in south Louisiana and grew up living right next to the river, I'd like to go to the northern end.

My preferred route is: US10 west out of the Twin City metro area to Wadena, MN, then north on US71 to Itasca State Park where the source is located.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/itasca/narrative.html

http://goo.gl/maps/iXKHd Lots of good roads Wisconsin. The Mindoro Cut is an interested place and a fun ride. Top Dawgs has 108 burgers to choose from.

Excellent suggestions!
I can add Top Dawgs Burger joint to this ride. They are located in Mindoro on Rt 108...one of my favorite lunch stops. I usually have the #1....The Billy Burger. I do this ride a lot!

Joe

Back