• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Drive Pivot Bearings Sold by Rubber Chicken Racing

Dave_Faria

Slow & Easy
GE List. Its been a while since I've been on the list. I just changed tires on my RT and noticed play in the rear drive pivot bearings so I removed the drive to check the bearings. The outboard bearing was still wet with the grease. The Inboard was dry. There was no real wear on either bearing. Its probably been 10k miles since I've had the rear drive off.

I have two questions:

1. Is Honda moly 60 still the preferred grease for the bearings when reassembled???

2. I had a little problem getting the outboard pivot bolt out because the bearing would not release. I fortunately was able to use a large crescent wrench and pop the bolt out of the bearing. Is red locktite still recommended to lock the bearings on the bolt??? This could have been a real problem and I think I was lucky.

Thanks for any comments.

Hi Dave:

You mean bronze bushings right?
I can't find the thread but one of the grease gurus here says that moly should not be used on bronze, it's for steel on steel.
I used Superlube with Teflon on my 2nd set of bushings and they are fine into the third season.
Loctite 270 is the right stuff. It will release with moderate heat.

I am not by any means a Guru. I have read that the instructions for the bronze bushings say to use moly grease on them. They are made of a sinitered oil impregnated powered bronze (trade name oilite). Moly grease will clog the pores of the bushing and encourage galling.
That type of bushing is oil impregnated and usually has an "oil drip " to lube them.

Many failures have been reported. I have no personal reports to make. I used the stock bearings when my bike needed replacement.
Goolgle Oilite bushings

Thanks everybody for the replies. I can't remember where I read use the moly 60. I installed them bk in 2010. That's why I was asking. I checked my records and the bearings have been in for 15k miles. The looseness may not have been noticed by most but I just installed new tires and while the bike was down checking stuff and found the looseness in the drive.

Thanks everybody for the replies. I can't remember where I read use the moly 60. I installed them bk in 2010. That's why I was asking. I checked my records and the bearings have been in for 15k miles. The looseness may not have been noticed by most but I just installed new tires and while the bike was down checking stuff and found the looseness in the drive.

From the RCR website.
"We recommend the HONDA MOLY 60 PASTE for lubrication of the Paralever Bushing kit as well as many other spline lubrication needs on your BMW. You can conveniently order the Honda Lube here: HONDA MOLY 60 PASTE."

From the RCR website.
"We recommend the HONDA MOLY 60 PASTE for lubrication of the Paralever Bushing kit as well as many other spline lubrication needs on your BMW. You can conveniently order the Honda Lube here: HONDA MOLY 60 PASTE."

Doesn't mean it's right.
I found the thread here, check post #10.

Doesn't mean it's right.
I found the thread here, check post #10.

I agree, I bought new OEM bearings.
Regarding using the bushings with moly, I always thought that moly bonds to the surface in some manner. If that is true wouldnt you lose tolerances between the two parts eventually?

Honda Moly 60 is a Moly paste - 60% moly solids by volume - in a petroleum carrier. I think it is too dry for this application. For those bushings I use a synthetic wheel caliper (brake) grease.

As you may already know liquid moly 47 I feel is best for the bearings and make sure you only tighten threaded bolt no more than 11 Nm and lock bolt to I think 120 Nm using special bmw tool to hold threaded bolt while tightening outer lock nut. Check out assembly Manuel for proper tork. I do know not to tighten more than and very important 11 Nm on threaded bolt.

As you may already know liquid moly 47 I feel is best for the bearings and make sure you only tighten threaded bolt no more than 11 Nm and lock bolt to I think 120 Nm using special bmw tool to hold threaded bolt while tightening outer lock nut. Check out assembly Manuel for proper tork. I do know not to tighten more than and very important 11 Nm on threaded bolt.

Ref for comparison: If you are using the stock bearings: The factory manual says 7nm/5.16ft#

When I installed mine I mixed moly with some ole faishaned axel grease about 60/40. the 60 being grease. torked the right side to specs then torked the left pin to 20ft lbs then the lock nut to spec. hope I was close, or spot on would be good. the haul road is next,,,,

Back