• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which model BMW would you pick?

If someone else was paying the freight...I'd pick the new M4 convertible. :whistle

Jokes aside, though I won't part with my R1100S...I do like the R1200R series, or maybe even the new R Nine T.

But that F700GS is pretty sweet too.

Cheers!:dance

My GS is only 4 now so he can't make the decision just yet. He'd be 2x when I get too arthritic to ride.

So many bikes and so little time! I had to have two - one for the big epic rides (K1600GT) you don't seem to be interested in; and one for the fun rides (S1000RR) where I let my inner hooligan out both on the track and out in the hillbilly twisties of W. Virginia. I guess if I was in your shoes though and someone passed a law that said we could own only one bike, it would probably be a K1300S or a S1000R for BMWs or a KTM 1190 Adventure; or a Ducati Multistrada; or a RnineT; or hell, I hope they don't pass that law!

Really, if you're going to keep them forever why not buy two or three? You can't take it with you ya know?

Buy my '04 R1150RT as seen on ebay with auction ending at 1PM PDT tomorrow. It's the biarritz blue beauty with the two tone Russell Day Long saddle. Even includes a trailer-in-a-bag mc trailer if you wish. Such a deal:wave

For a new mc the 2014 R1200RT is mighty sweet with its wet clutch and low center of gravity. Yes sir...mighty sweet.

Tough question. It would be a boxer engined bike. May be a GS/A. Need the roomy ergos and the boxer engine is a safer bet for the long run.

You didn't mention a budget so my recommendation would be to buy a new Indian. For what you described as your riding routine, it would be perfect and it will be a valuable piece to hand down to your grandson. Now if you DO have a budget, then I would agree with the poster that suggested a Honda. Boxers don't like 100 mile rides in traffic!

You didn't mention a budget so my recommendation would be to buy a new Indian. For what you described as your riding routine, it would be perfect and it will be a valuable piece to hand down to your grandson. Now if you DO have a budget, then I would agree with the poster that suggested a Honda. Boxers don't like 100 mile rides in traffic!

If it could be any bike, I'd like to have a Versys 1000. Nothing beats a UJM.

I've got a '96 GS that I can't see replacing anytime soon but, based on your requirements, the F700GS and the R1200R might be good choices. Is there an F700/800R? Or maybe one of the scooters. The Honda mention previously is a pretty nice bike from what I've seen. I've told others that when I get too old/week to hold a bike up I'd look at a hack or a Spider.

It depends on how you set your priorities.

There you go, Lee!
You need to prioritize riding up to Mendocino more often and staying at our Inn before we sell it and move to Mexico!

BTW, just signed my Caltrans retirement papers today, now I gotta submit them. But, that is from the 'day job', still have the Inn for now...

Anything available for $9200 with a drive shaft.......

In other words, my 1986 K75c adjusted for inflation.

I'd really recommend against buying a new BMW. There are way too many late model w/low miles examples on Cycletrader.com, Craigslist, eBay, etc., where you won't take the new bike hit that you do when buying from a dealer. You could end up buying the bike of your dreams for about 60 to 70% of the cost of a new bike.

Good luck with your decision.

+1
I always wonder why in the world folks spend what seems like crazy $$$ on brand new bikes when there are SO many excellent quality used bikes available. Heck you may be able to pick a great used bike up from your local dealership

Why an Airhead? Because if you really, really plan to take just short trips, not really rack up the miles and then hand it over to the grandson, it will be just fine. The cost for a well maintained R100 or R80 will max out at six grand unless you absolutely have to have a pristine R90S. It will be re-buildable forever. You can tinker with it and your grandson can watch and learn. It will be worth more (in $$ than when you bought it)and meaning when you hand over the keys. On the down side, you will not have ABS, the most modern suspension system, tripmeter, or pretensions that you can take off and go around the world on it ((except that a lot of people did ).

YMMV
Mac

An Airhead is usually a great suggsetion- BUT in Houston, in summer, perhaps a liquid cooled machine would be better suited to the extreme heat- esp in the type of riding the OP suggested he'll be doing?
AND
[my apologies- hijack in progress]

To suggest that one would not be able to go ANYWHERE one desires on an airhead BMW is ludicrous IMO. One may certainly ride ANYTHING anywhere. If you don't believe it, just read some of the RRs over on ADVrider.com. I personally would not hesitate to ride my R100 anywhere at all, over any distance. As you said, it's easy to work on and parts are available all day long. Suspension upgrades are available as are upgrades for darn near every part of the bike. The one single aspect you'd just have to deal with is low power. But, as you pointed out, many people DID ride BMW airheads around the world... it wasn't not uncommon for folks to rack up hundreds of thousands of miles on them in fact.

[rant/hijack over]

F800gt

F800 something - ST, GT whatever it is called this year.

PLUS 1

Take a look at my signature...I have a good selection of many years....If it was a long trip bike that was needed then I would want my R100RT, light, easy and relaxing.
For the description that was laid out the F800GT is super, for those of you that have not taken a ride on one, do so first before you recommend.
I do find that as we get older the weight of the bike is a factor, I have sold my K100.

K1200s

I'm a fifty year old in Florida with similar riding habits. I recently purchased a K1200s because it represents the most bang for the buck IMHO. For supply and demand reasons the RT/Gt/GS models, even high mileage, demand a premium price. The K1200S's can be found with very low miles for around half as much. It may not be the most comfortable bike for long distances but 100 miles is fine. At one time this bike held land speed records and is still one of the fastest bikes in the world. The acceleration is indescribable. This will probably be the last bike I own and it is definitely the finest. When my riding days are done my memories of this incredible bike will make me smile. I went out with a bang instead of a whimper. Live life large!

My Last Bike Choice was..........

A C650gs followed by an R100RT followed by an F650GS replaced by an F700GSL I purchased all of these new in 2013(except for the airhead) and most recently a 2014 R1200RT-LC and still waiting for the R-nine-T. Now at the age of sixty-three I realize that my last bike certainly won't be planned. It'll hopefully be a BIG SURPRISE. Keep riding and ride safely.

A naked airhead

An early or mid 70's naked airhead would be a perfect choice for your particular needs. They are classics now so 20 years from now would make it even more classic, maybe even antique. ha ! Anyway, I've ridden rs100's in South Texas for over 30 years and yup its hot sometimes but not so much to complain about for a 100 mile ride. They are easy to work on and you and your grandkids can learn together. It's also a good investment for the long haul. Buy one thats been somewhat restored by PO and you will save in the long run. My other suggestion would to buy a scooter, 200cc or up and that would be all you need for around Houston. Have fun !

DW

Bike Usage

I, retired in 2005. Having not ridden much in 20 or so years and my only bike being a 1976 Triumph Tiger 750 I, decided to but a used R1200RT with your exact intension's in mind. After ONE YEAR and 22,000 miles I was so Glad I purchased the RT. Next I traded for a new 2009RT saying this would be my last bike and I wanted to start with a new one thinking I would pass it on to my Son. O well now I have a 2013 90th edt. I, have taken 6,000 mile trips and also use it for daily transportation even delivering Meals on Wheels. The saying THE OLD FOLK'S SAY YOU NEVER CAN TELL. Turning 70 real soon. Don't limit yourself The RT will do it all.

Back