• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wethead requirements

motodan

For you folks who've already taken possession of your wetheads, can you provide some info not noted in the online manual? I've got a '14 RT coming and note the manual break-in paragraph states <5,000 rpm and frequent changes in throttle position, as usual. However, it doesn't say for how many miles they now recommend this limited rpm...anyone know? Also, what is recommended rear drive gear oil weight? I've got Castrol 75W140 left over, will that still be appropriate? Correct to assume the Ilium Works shift extender will fit over the newer shift peg? Thanks.

75w140 has never been appropriate in a BMW final drive. OK in transmissions, but not in final drives.

Thanks Paul...my bad. I had a never opened liter of the 75W-140 and was thinking final drive. So now I've got two "old" RT filters and a liter of "transmission" fluid to return.

Also, what is recommended rear drive gear oil weight? .

The last few years BMW has been calling for Castrol-XO 75W90. I'm only guessing the new RT uses the same.
So far I've only seen it at BMW and Land Rover dealers.

Castrol has changed the name to Castrol Syntrax Longlife 75W-90

Jay

Interesting. So I did a search for Castrol Syntrax Long Life. I found a hit on the Autozone site - which promptly told me:

"Part Number: 6674

Alternate Part Number: 06672

This item cannot be shipped to any US State, US Territory or US Military address."

I find this rather hilarious for some obtuse and perverse reason.

Since it helps for things to be in English, I often check UK websites and indeed SAF-XO has been Syntrax for a year or so now.

In any event it's not a product Castrol USA markets through its usual dimestore outlets. I'd be surprised if any is actually blended in the USA.

It's a product designed for lifetime fill applications and the retail market would really be only for refill after rebuilds or in replacement components. By definition it needs to be more expensive than the everyday stuff and that's not something that goes over at dimestores. Really it's pretty much a BMW-only product and remember BMW owned Land Rover for a while.

BMW designed the rear drives assuming use of this product and that spec doesn't change simply because a periodic change schedule has emerged.

All of the usual numbers and letters on the bottles do NOT describe a generic product but rather simply minimum requirements. The SAF-XO formula goes beyond minimum. There are NO substitutes unless the manufacturer specifically states such.

Searching Amazon (US) for Castrol SYNTRAX LONG LIFE 75W-90 yields: "Your search "castrol SYNTRAX LONG LIFE 75W-90" did not match any products."

The closest product offered is the limited slip version.

The link showing the name change is a UK site. If I start at the basic www.castrol.com, the site correctly detects I'm in the US. Selecting the most likely topic of Motorsports, I'm immediately taken to the UK/Irish website. Requests for the name of my closest "stockist" yield no results. I can only conclude that Castrol is not interested in the US market.

Searching Amazon (US) for Castrol SYNTRAX LONG LIFE 75W-90 yields: "Your search "castrol SYNTRAX LONG LIFE 75W-90" did not match any products."

The closest product offered is the limited slip version.

The link showing the name change is a UK site. If I start at the basic www.castrol.com, the site correctly detects I'm in the US. Selecting the most likely topic of Motorsports, I'm immediately taken to the UK/Irish website. Requests for the name of my closest "stockist" yield no results. I can only conclude that Castrol is not interested in the US market.

Ditto

Back