• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Had To Lay'er Down

No oil, what about tires?

What are the best tires to use when laying a bike down?

Metzelers - It depends upon whether or not it is raining when you lay the bike down. They tend to slide better on dry pavement, than on wet, since they are a great wet surface tire. The jury is still out on whether you should mix a Metzeler 880 fat rear tire with other Metzeler tires, in order to obtain optimal mileage prior to and after the lay down.

Michelin Pilot Roads - The 1, 2, 3, 4 series tires are the best for lay downs, on both dry or wet surfaces. However, they tend to make noise prior to the lay down. Perhaps the series 5, 6, 7in future releases will be more quiet.

Bridgestones - They tend to cup on the front wheel, which could present a serious problem in lay downs. Instead of following a typical low side/high side crash pattern, the cupping causes the front tire to "catch" on road surfaces and a resulting "pinwheel" spin will occur. Just like on "Let's Make A Deal," it will depend on where the pinwheel stops to determine if you have layed the bike down correctly.

Continentals//DunlopsAvons/Pirellis and any other brands who promote a "racing" image when advertising their tires - These all lay down with equal capability, especially at high speed, but the mileage prior to and after any lay downs will be much less than any other tire brand.

Any others with experience on other brands are welcome to contribute to the thread.

Bill

What are the best tires to use when laying a bike down?.................................
Bill

Surely you don't understand the principle, tires have no effect, the question should be what are the best foot pegs, hand grips and saddle bags, maybe engine guards too.

Rear brake pedal is the key. At least it was the rear brake pedal that caused me many unintentional lay downs in my teen years. I could even sometimes hop around on one leg without falling down as the bike slid out from under me.

Hey BMW Engineering... New Product Idea

Add a new ESA Mode:

"Lay 'er Down Mode" .

Add a doppler radar module to detect impending crashes and program modulated brake application to lock up whatever brake can initiate a low-side slide. Manual mode can be pressing some combination of the starter switch and the turn signal cancel switch along with no brake application. Computers on-board sort out what is going to happen next, irrespective of rider input after this is initiated.

:clap

Well, I suppose some bikes already have that feature. And I suppose BMW is working to make it a new option and will install a switch on the bars for just that mode.
dc

Add a new ESA Mode:

"Lay 'er Down Mode" .

Add a doppler radar module to detect impending crashes and program modulated brake application to lock up whatever brake can initiate a low-side slide. Manual mode can be pressing some combination of the starter switch and the turn signal cancel switch along with no brake application. Computers on-board sort out what is going to happen next, irrespective of rider input after this is initiated.

:clap

I was thinking of a Lay 'Er Down track day or some type of instructional video to learn technique until this post came along. This borders on genius for its simplicity of just letting the bikes electronics determine the when and how of the lay down. With luck this module can be retro-fit to older bikes.:brow

I know back in the day, when brakes were not what they are now, you could just go from say fourth gear to first, and get a real good lockup, slide and fall and maybe break the chain or shaft and then slide into whatever the obstacle is. But I never thought to do this on purpose.

No comment....I just wanted to get my 700th post in somewhere....didn't appear it would create a problem putting it here. Thanks.

Signed,

Up Right

I just wanted to get my 700th post in somewhere....didn't appear it would create a problem putting it here. Thanks.

Pile on Dan!!!
09.gif

No comment....I just wanted to get my 700th post in somewhere....didn't appear it would create a problem putting it here. Thanks.

Signed,

Up Right

We'll tolerate it, but it would have been better if you had laid your 700th post down, instead of just getting it in and staying "Up Right".

Back