• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member in NC

bbcubed53

bbcubed53
Hi all. Purchased a 2013 R1200RT - anniversary about 3 weeks ago. My second BMW, first one was a '94 K1100LT. Wow, I really like the new bike! Unfortunately, the weather has not cooperated since purchase but looking forward to better days and lots of riding. New big thing is trying configure radio and blue tooth and gps systems. Seems I can spend a lot of time researching the various options.

Where are you in NC? Hope you plant to hit the mountains roads when weather gets better. A fair number of local cubs and rallies plus an MOA event at Fontana in April if you're interested.

Racer7, I am located near Charlotte, in Stanley NC. I've been riding for a long time just on a variety of different brands. Currently I own a Harley and and a Yamaha FJR. The RT is a replacement for the FJR. Both Harley and FJR are for sale. Mainly will use the bike for daily commuting but will be hitting the roads to the mountains etc. Work will bring me to the Southport area occasionally. I have checked out the Fontana event and may be able to make it.

Welcome from the Carolina to your south. Glad to have you here! I grew up not far from your part of NC. Looks like Sunday will be a good day for you to get out on the road. Enjoy your new bike!

Welcome to the asylum. We have a local BMW club in the Charlotte area. Carolinas BMW Motorcycles Owners Association #220. We meet for breakfast two times each month at the Light Rail Restaurant 8045 South Blvd. Charlotte the 2nd & 4th Sunday @ 9:00 am till 10:00 am.

Our local dealer is BMW Motorcycles of Charlotte ( I-77 & Westinghouse Blvd.). Mark & Gail Engle are the owners & have a wonderful shop. They have a clubhouse upstairs & every Saturday they provide a free lunch. Stop by sometime we usually have club members there on Sat. between noon & 2:00 pm.

Welcome. Glad to have you here! :clap

You will love the new bike for sure. A little different than you 94 LT. :D (Which, BTW was the first Beemer I ever owned)

I encourage you to hook up with the local Chartered Club folks. Good people.

We always like to see pics so if you can, post one.

You live in one of the best states for MC riding but you already know that. Spent a week in the Boone area last summer and can not wait to get back.

Hope to see you on the road.

I also own an RT (an 08) that since then has been my routine pick for longer tours- comfortable, good weather protection, quick enough.
Also easy to self service- faster than any of the K bikes for doing it too. Only problem has been a failed fpc (the bit of electronics that controls the fuel pump run speed) which the factory has since upgraded. Your bike represents the end of the 8 year evolution of the hexhead/camhead RT so should be about as reliable as the type can get. Unlike your Harley but like the FJR, its motor can go as far as most car motors without needing a rebuild. Most never even get close to wearing one out.
Your local club guys are your best source of info on anything related to the brand. Our local club on the coast has members that come from Myrtle Beach to New Bern and meets a couple times a month for ride to eat or social get togethers. Coastal Carolina is the name and we've got a website on google.
If you go to the bmwst site and look for events coming up you can find out about several smaller rallies held in the spring and fall in good riding places anywhere from GA to southern VA. And there are quite a few others related to the brand organized by other groups that you can find on the web as well. BMW riders tend to avoid large group rides preferring to ride with small groups of friends or solo- leaving most of the socializing for evening.

Welcome. Congrats on the new RT. You have a bike that is fairly straightforward for doing most maintenance items yourself. Particularly when considering the excellent tech section available that will show you the correct ways to do the work. If you have a problem or need a question answered, there are many folks here with an amazing amount of knowledge about the BMW brand. I log on sometimes and read for a couple of hours just to learn more about my bike.

I have a 2006 R1200RT, and after 3 years and 20k + miles, I believe it to be one of the most well rounded motorcycles available. Excellent touring bike, a pretty decent corner carver, and a surprisingly competent commuter bike.

Back