• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

09 k1300gt

roamingbeemer

roamingbeemer
New to me 2009 K1300GT received a few days ago. Can anyone tell me if I have the cam chain jump guard installed from the factory?

I do not have any noise at start up but when the oil gets hot it makes a "tinny" sound from around the engine area. Anyone know what this is? I was thinking it could be the chain losing tension as the oil gets hot. thanks

The jump guard was just introduced a couple years ago, so your 09 would not have had it from factory. Still, it may have all ready been installed. Check with the previous owner or have a dealer do a service history on it. It's not a huge job to pull the cover off and check for it, but you do have to replace all the cover bolts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I will have to ask. I should have read more about this before I got it. I was planning a used RT cam head for a two up bike but this bike was a great deal with only 6000 miles. I traded the S1000 for a touring rocket.

New to me 2009 K1300GT received a few days ago. Can anyone tell me if I have the cam chain jump guard installed from the factory?

I do not have any noise at start up but when the oil gets hot it makes a "tinny" sound from around the engine area. Anyone know what this is? I was thinking it could be the chain losing tension as the oil gets hot. thanks

Here's a little info for you.
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?64396-Jump-Guard-Technical-Campaign-for-K1200-and-some-K1300

You can remove the silver cover and see if the guard has been added.
Cover1.jpg

Here's what it looks like without the guard.
Cam_chain.jpg

Fantastic, thx for the simple advice.

I am also looking to add a quick shifter. What brand is most recommended? I see several including an OEM.

Fantastic, thx for the simple advice.

I am also looking to add a quick shifter. What brand is most recommended? I see several including an OEM.

I'm not familiar with the aftermarket shifters. My wife and I have the OEM quick shifter and it works well.

I'm not familiar with the aftermarket shifters. My wife and I have the OEM quick shifter and it works well.

Thanks for the info. I will probably just go with the BMW brand then. Going to fill my stocking with K1300 parts this Christmas.

Back