• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Contamination

Lastly, I have no idea if any of this applies to diesel (for automotive/truck purchases), but I KNOW that these facts apply for gas.

I believe most of it is true for diesel powered vehicles as well.

Water in a modern diesel injection system will cause some very expensive damage very quickly. It usually entails replacement of the entire fuel system at a cost of many thousand dollars. Diesels have water separation devices but they don't always work, esp. if overwhelmed by a huge volume of water in the fuel.

I have an F-250 diesel pickup to tow our fifth wheel (and to occasionally haul a Beemer). I'm very careful where I buy fuel and to drain the water separator regularly (altho I've never found any water at all in it...knock on wood).

I don't want to sound smarterer than I am,

I did a seminar for the vocational teachers that teach young mechanics, on fuel last summer. I did it because most mechanics don't actually know what fuel is being used. There is a wide variety of gasoline and diesel products on the market. They look the same at the filling station but they aren't.

My comments are universal but may not apply universally, if that made any sense.

Gasoline with Ethanol is always a grain extracted blended. Varying amounts of Ethanol are reported as the maximum amount. However, small amounts may not be reported at the pump. Blends as low as E2 are extremely hygroscopic. It can take moisture form the atmosphere readily.

Diesel fuel with the renewable resource bio-fuel can be anything from animal fat all the way to seed/bean extracted. Again, maximums are reported at the pump but minimums aren't mandated to be reported. Any Bio-Diesel HAS water in it.

In my experience, gasoline or diesel, has a shelf life of about six weeks, less, in my opinion during warmer ambient. Either is prone to microbial contamination. Some of these bugs eat skin and will kill you.

My focus during these seminars was PPE, Personal Protection Equipment.

I can substantiate my claims with some very graphic images of a young mechanic that lost 30% of the tissue on one arm due to microbial contamination in gasoline.

My advice for what it's worth, you can't avoid bio-fuels. If they say it isn't there, they are lying to you and smiling because they think you are a fool.

Use high-turnover stations as much as you can. Always use PPE, that includes safety eye wear, when servicing any fuel system.

If you think Premium fuels don't have a certain amount of bio-fuel, gasoline or diesel, in my opinion, you are gambling.

... If you think Premium fuels don't have a certain amount of bio-fuel, gasoline or diesel, in my opinion, you are gambling.

I agree, but I have no scientific basis for my opinion. I simply do not trust most absolute statements, whomever they come from. When anyone from any governmental agency (federal, state or local) tells me something is definitely true (or false) I ignore them. Especially for ethanol in gasoline--no matter what it says on the pump, I assume there is some ethanol in the product.

I agree, but I have no scientific basis for my opinion. I simply do not trust most absolute statements, whomever they come from. When anyone from any governmental agency (federal, state or local) tells me something is definitely true (or false) I ignore them. Especially for ethanol in gasoline--no matter what it says on the pump, I assume there is some ethanol in the product.

Here's a link to a science article about what happens when biofuels contaminate something that should NEVER have biofuel in it. In short, the entire fuel delivery system is contaminated so Royce is absolutely right.

Back