• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help Reading ABS-2 Fault Code with LED

m_stock10506

I have the LED setup for reading the fault code on my ABS-2 but I could use some help understanding what I'm seeing.

The LED is connected to the diagnostic plug and ignition is turned to ON. There is a brief pause of no activity, then there is a very quick flash of the LED at what I would call half intensity, followed by six very bright full intensity flashes. A second or two pause and then the sequence repeats itself (one half-power flash then six full-power flashes). So, what's that first half power flash? Does it get counted?

If I reset the fault code, I can ride away with no fault. Depending on ambient temperatures, the fault will occur again during a self-test after a stop. If it's warm out the fault will occur fairly quickly, 10 or 20 miles. If it's cool or cold out, the fault might not reappear at all.

So, what's that first half power flash? Does it get counted?

Pay attention to consistent full flashes. The code indicates that your ABS relay is causing you trouble. It's located on the right side of the hydro unit in the little compartment with the door.

Yes, thanks - ABS Fault code: 6 ABS Relay in ABS Hydro Unit (from Anton's Web Page). I had purchased a used ABS-2 unit a couple of years ago when I was having an intermittent piston pressure fault. Never had to install it. I removed the ABS Relay from that unit and substituted into my bike, trying to avoid the chore of removing the entire module and opening up the brake lines. I'm getting the same intermittent ABS Relay fault.

So, it's possible both relays are faulty. Does anyone know if these relays are a frequent failure point? The relay part from BMW is about $138, so it's not a casual "try a new one for the heck of it" kind of test. I could not locate a substitute relay or a source for the OEM part even though there are Siemens and FAG part numbers on the relay. Anyone know of a substitute or source?

Back