• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1150RS fuel leak - not starting?

Spence

2002 R1150RS noticed a fuel leak as I backed out of the garage in vicinity of the line clamps and QD. Shut her down, inspected then restarted with no leak. Started several more times with no leaking. Took a short ride and no problems.

I was told that QD's are the upgraded ones and clamps all look tight.

Tried pressurizing fuel system with short hits on starter without starting with no leaks BUT while poking around I must have hit one of the QD's and it released but didn't come apart. Clicked it back in and now she won't start. Turns over normal but doesn't start. Spark plugs appear normal. 30K miles. Recently had new battery installed by mechanic.

Any ideas??
Thanks, Spence

2002 R1150RS noticed a fuel leak as I backed out of the garage in vicinity of the line clamps and QD. Shut her down, inspected then restarted with no leak. Started several more times with no leaking. Took a short ride and no problems.

I was told that QD's are the upgraded ones and clamps all look tight.

Tried pressurizing fuel system with short hits on starter without starting with no leaks BUT while poking around I must have hit one of the QD's and it released but didn't come apart. Clicked it back in and now she won't start. Turns over normal but doesn't start. Spark plugs appear normal. 30K miles. Recently had new battery installed by mechanic.

Any ideas??
Thanks, Spence

You might want to check those clamps with an actual screwdriver.
I had to remove one of my nylon QDs in favor of a piece of copper tubing temporarily, and didn't get one clamp tight enough.
It would only leak when warm and moving.
Note the pressure at the QD will fluctuate a lot as the pump cycles on and off.

Probably you still don't have the QD clicked all the way home, so the valve is closed, cutting off your fuel.

You got it Roger, found the other QD loose but what a PITA to get a grip on it. Any suggestions?
Spence

When the o-rings are new and the release buttons are pressed all the way in, the QDs snap together pretty easily.

The plastic QDs had a shoulder that kept the release tabs from being inadvertently bumped which the "improved" metals ones don't. I just had my tank off and when installed I tie-wrap both QDs to the frame with the tie-wrap going under the release tab so that you don't accidentally bump it. That's all I can suggest

Back