• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to shorten center stand on R1200Rt

MCOLLECT

I have a r1200rt with hyperpro's lowered shocks. How do I go about lowering the center stand. Any welder or do I ask to have a tube but in before the stand is lowered?

I have a r1200rt with hyperpro's lowered shocks. How do I go about lowering the center stand. Any welder or do I ask to have a tube but in before the stand is lowered?
When I did my F800GS center stand-lowered 2" w/hyperpro- I used a pipe cutter to take the desired amount out. A pipe cutter leaves a ridge reducing the ID. I cut a bolt of approximately the same size and opened up the interior ridge so it was a nice friction fit. A slight relief 180 degrees apart for some weld to "wash" in from the mig welder-good to go. A little grind and paint, done. HTH Gary

I'd want an inside tube or slug of steel to reinforce the weld.. you might also check the PN of the RT stand and the R1200R stand. They may be the same PN, in that case - the R12R is available with a low suspension from BMW and comes with a shorter center stand. That stand might fit your RT.. mebbe.

Does BMW offer a centerstand on lowered versions of R1200RT?

If so, I'd get that.

If not, I'd go without a centerstand.

Don's post led me to believe I wasn't clear...a quick sketch..

Hope this is more clear. Gary
Gary,

Actually - it was quite clear...

The stand is tubular. If you cut a chunk out of it and try to weld it - you're welding thin tubing to thin tubing. I'd want something strong in the center of the tubing, hence my suggestion of either tubing, or a slug of metal. It reinforces the weld internally. We're saying exactly the same thing.. but you used a bolt (with the head cut off I assume..)

If I recalll correctly, a wire feed welder produces a weld with a tensile strength of approx. 60,000 pounds per inch. Welding creates a "heat affected zone" in the parent metal. Tested to failure, the welded component will break in the heat affected zone rather than the actual weld. YMMV.

Just leave it and use it as is... I do! How often do you use it anyway??
On my F800gs it was no longer usable or you would need help to lift the bike. The side stand needed a shortening also or the bike was almost vertical when on the SS.

Centerstand

I plan to shorten the centerstand on my K13GT but I plan on cutting
the ends of the stand off and rewelding the pads and foot tang back on.
That seems better than cutting the stand at mid height and compromising
the stands integrity.

Back