• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 R1200RT Mirrors

bullet

aka Johnny Hammerlane
Has anyone out there added extra mirrors to their late model RT?
There's a problem with the standard mirrors reflecting a very clear view of my camping gear.
Something to help me see over or around the luggage would be helpful.
The bar sets have been changed and a standard mount appears out of the question.
Any help would be appreciated.

Call Wunderlich. I don't remember the part number or the price but whatever I paid was worth the price. You can see the mirrors as a result in the photo. You buy the parts that fit on the handlebars so you have a place to mount the mirrors. I bought the extendable mirrors from them as well. I wanted the mirrors for the same reason you mentioned as I could it see over my Helen Two Wheels Bags without them.

0fd58cf6.png

Has anyone out there added extra mirrors to their late model RT?
There's a problem with the standard mirrors reflecting a very clear view of my camping gear.
Something to help me see over or around the luggage would be helpful.
The bar sets have been changed and a standard mount appears out of the question.
Any help would be appreciated.

The mirrors from a F800GS will attach with no modifications to the bars. I have just bought a 2010RT and a friend showed me his 2010RT with the mirrors added. He pulls a Bushtec trailer so he added the mirrors.

I use spots too;

The tiny one inch or two inch spot(convex) mirrors are my saviors too:). I've used'em for years, would not be without them stuck on my mirrors. Randy:thumb

Thanks, Polar Bear...

... but with spot mirrors on the stocks, all I'll get is a nice, convex view of the luggage.
I need to be able to see over or around the camping gear.
The mirrors from the F800GS sound good to me if they're as easy to install as Jim Dubick says they are.

K1200RS Mirrors on R1200RT

There have been a few threads on this subject over the years. In the 2005-2009 models of the RT, there are appropriate holes in the switchgear area of the handlebars which accept the K1200RS mirrors. This may have changed starting in 2010, but you could easily take a look and see if they're still there. The result is a dramatically-improved view to the rear. Here's a photo of how my 2008 RT looks with those mirrors:

IMG_0301-3.jpg

I also added the little, round, movable convex mirrors to the upper-inside corner of the OEM mirrors to give me a view into the blind spot on each side.

on the 2010 models, you have to get brackets and then the mirrors. The R1200 GS mirrors are a bit more expensive, but are bigger. I'm having them put on for exactly the reasons mentioned - camping gear across the back seat means no rear view whatsoever.

I added the stock mirrors and mounting hardware from an F-850 GS. the fit great and work well. I wish I'd done this way sooner. the view behind is great

+1 with exGman!!

I have the same mirrors and they are great. Just make sure you also order the mounting kit (nuts & washers).

I have the clamps, but with the 1200 GS mirrors. Works great.

Attachments

• GS mirrors on RT.jpg
    GS mirrors on RT.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 338
'10 12RT Mirrors

I have the no hole handlebar version so mounting aux. mirrors is an expensive problem. The Wunderlich option looks like the best and will cost $188, wow. Has anyone tried the Napoleon bar end mirrors? Cost is about $50-80 but they look like the mirror will be too far from the line of sight, taking your attention off the road ahead.
Comments??

Ben

The mirrors from a F800GS will attach with no modifications to the bars. I have just bought a 2010RT and a friend showed me his 2010RT with the mirrors added. He pulls a Bushtec trailer so he added the mirrors.

Tell tell how do F800GS mirrors mount? Don't you still have to buy the saddle that replaces the saddle of the brake clamp?

Got this from A&S Cycles. Just installed it today and fiddled with the settings riding home. The quality and functionality of the product is good. Mounts rather nicely and provided better review view visibility. Rather pleased with the results so far.

Attachments

• DSC00618.jpg
    DSC00618.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 134
Back