• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 F650GS Charging System

gblawler

I am interested to hear from anyone who has an F650GS with a volt meter and has had a charging system problem in the past. I am trying to interpret some voltage readings I am getting. If you had a voltage regulator or alternator go out, what voltage readings were you getting prior to the failure?

On the return leg of a 2 day trip a couple weeks ago, I started getting voltage readings on my Battery Bug that were varying a lot more than normal. When riding on the highway, voltage is usually 14.0, if I do not have the Gerbing gear on, and varies only one or two tenths of a volt. The readings I was getting were dipping down to 13.8 and bouncing up and down about every second. The bike starts and runs fine.

My wet cell battery was over 2 years old, so I suspected the battery and replaced it with a Scorpion AGM, but the voltage variations continue. I don't regret replacing the battery, though. I was getting tired of disassembling the bike every three months to top off the water in the battery and was planning to change to an AGM battery anyway.

Went for a ride yesterday, 1 hour over, 2 hours there, 1 hour back, and on the way back, the voltage was dipping as low as 12.8 all the way back up to 14.0 or 14.1. When the bike is off, the voltage reading is steady. The variation is not all the way from the high to low all at once, it will read like, 14.1, 13.9, 14.0, 13.5, 13.8, 13.1, 13.7, 12.9, 13.3, 13.8, 14.0, 13.7. The Battery Bug display alternates between a percentage reading and the voltage once each second, so you can't see what is going on during the 1 second interval that the percentage is displayed, but just about every time the voltage is displayed it is a different reading than the previous one, usually between 1 and 4 tenths of a volt up or down.

As a double check, I plugged a second volt meter into my accessory socket and used a velcro wire tie to position it on the handle bars where I can see it, just to make sure the problem is not with the Battery Bug itself. On the way to work today, the two volt meters were agreeing, but I did not get the voltage variation. I have a short ride to work, so the bike doesn't get up to full temperature. I will go for a longer ride this afternoon to check it out.

I am interested to know if this voltage variation is a known symptom of a failing alternator or voltage regulator. I ride in the winter and use Gerbing gear, so if my alternator is on the way out, I would rather fix it before it fails completely. I am a 1:45 ride to the nearest BMW dealer, so it would be better to fix this before it gets really cold.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert but I doubt if the variances mean anything.

I would tend to agree, except that I have had the Battery Bug on the bike for over a year, and the pattern of voltage readings changed dramatically.

As a double check, I plugged a second volt meter into my accessory socket and used a velcro wire tie to position it on the handle bars where I can see it, just to make sure the problem is not with the Battery Bug itself. On the way to work today, the two volt meters were agreeing, but I did not get the voltage variation. I have a short ride to work, so the bike doesn't get up to full temperature. I will go for a longer ride this afternoon to check it out.

Went for a much longer ride this afternoon with the second volt meter in view and found that when the Battery Bug voltage reading started bouncing around, the second volt meter was at a steady 14.0 volts.

I am going to ride with the second volt meter again tomorrow, but my guess at this point is the Battery Bug is malfunctioning. It is 1 year and 4 months old. 4 months out of warranty. I will give them a call tomorrow and see if they can do anything for me. If not, I may just put a plain volt meter on the bike.

Let us know how this develops. The 650GS charging system is not the most robust. I believe BMW could have done much better. I did a trip through NW Mexico a few years ago on a previous 650GS that I owned and by the time I returned home the battery was cooked. I was running a Widder vest and Aerostitch heated grips. I never had any starting issues, but I think the charging system just couldn't keep up with the loads.

Fortunately, the problem appears to have been nothing more than a bad connection. I put a weatherproof spade connector inline with the ground wire going to the Battery Bug so I can easily reset it when I get a low reading. It worked fine for well over a year, but it is in a place where I can reach it easily so it is exposed to the weather.

When I discovered that a second volt meter was not fluctuating, I re-crimped the spade connectors and I have not seen the fluctuations since. Now I keep the second volt meter in my side case so I will be able to perform this double check on the road.

Let us know how this develops. The 650GS charging system is not the most robust. I believe BMW could have done much better. I did a trip through NW Mexico a few years ago on a previous 650GS that I owned and by the time I returned home the battery was cooked. I was running a Widder vest and Aerostitch heated grips. I never had any starting issues, but I think the charging system just couldn't keep up with the loads.

I have heard this same story from others, which is why I investigated whether I needed a volt meter on the bike to run all the Gerbing gear. I put a temporary volt meter on the bike and found that I could run the jacket and gloves on full without dropping the voltage below 13 volts, even at idle. But, if I added the pants, I needed to be at or above 3,000 RPM or the voltage dropped below 12.5. Fortunately, it is very rare to need to run any of the gear near the maximum setting on the contoller.

I installed the Battery Bug so I would have a voltage reading as well as an alarm that would go off if the voltage drops below 12 for more than 30 seconds. I normally do not wear the pants unless it is below 45 degrees or below 55 on an extended highway trip. If I am not wearing the pants, I don't watch the voltage real closely. If I wear the pants, I watch the volt meter while I am setting the levels on the dual controller. I like to find a balance that keeps the voltage at or above 13.5. If I am riding through small towns, I usually turn the Gerbing gear off as soon as I reduce speed. This is not a problem even in cold weather because it takes a few minutes to cool down. I don't turn the gear back on until I notice that I am cooling down and that is usually 3 or 4 minutes after I am back up to highway speed.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has an F650GS with a volt meter and has had a charging system problem in the past. I am trying to interpret some voltage readings I am getting. If you had a voltage regulator or alternator go out, what voltage readings were you getting prior to the failure?

On the return leg of a 2 day trip a couple weeks ago, I started getting voltage readings on my Battery Bug that were varying a lot more than normal. When riding on the highway, voltage is usually 14.0, if I do not have the Gerbing gear on, and varies only one or two tenths of a volt. The readings I was getting were dipping down to 13.8 and bouncing up and down about every second. The bike starts and runs fine.

My wet cell battery was over 2 years old, so I suspected the battery and replaced it with a Scorpion AGM, but the voltage variations continue. I don't regret replacing the battery, though. I was getting tired of disassembling the bike every three months to top off the water in the battery and was planning to change to an AGM battery anyway.

Went for a ride yesterday, 1 hour over, 2 hours there, 1 hour back, and on the way back, the voltage was dipping as low as 12.8 all the way back up to 14.0 or 14.1. When the bike is off, the voltage reading is steady. The variation is not all the way from the high to low all at once, it will read like, 14.1, 13.9, 14.0, 13.5, 13.8, 13.1, 13.7, 12.9, 13.3, 13.8, 14.0, 13.7. The Battery Bug display alternates between a percentage reading and the voltage once each second, so you can't see what is going on during the 1 second interval that the percentage is displayed, but just about every time the voltage is displayed it is a different reading than the previous one, usually between 1 and 4 tenths of a volt up or down.

I am interested to know if this voltage variation is a known symptom of a failing alternator or voltage regulator. I ride in the winter and use Gerbing gear, so if my alternator is on the way out, I would rather fix it before it fails completely. I am a 1:45 ride to the nearest BMW dealer, so it would be better to fix this before it gets really cold.

It's normal... the charging system is 400 watts @ 14 volts. My volt meter always fluctuates just like as you describes. When you use more accessories the volts will change... even if you are not using any accessories the volt meter will always fluctuate as it would never really stay at a constant reading... never did with my bike. Rule of thumb is that you need to keep your RPM's up to where the charging system stays charging. Once you dip down below a certain RPM's running accessories will drain your battery because your charging system will not stay charging. As long as you keep your RPM's up running your heated gear and turning your heated gear off when going thru town when your RPM's are low you will be fine. I would turn off accessories a few minutes before entering town and waiting till after I get out of town to turn back on.

I wouldn't worry as I say what you are experiencing is normal and how it was with me and my bike... your alternator should be fine.

The charging system needs to be bigger... if you keep your RPM's up and turn off accessories when your RPM's are down you will be fine. If you are running over 4K RPM's iirc your charging system will stay charging once you dip down below that and running too much accessories will slowly drain your battery.

I drained a new battery because I did not know to turn off all my accessories when I was running at lower RPM's but once I learned to use accessories when running higher RPM's, I never drained my battery. I drained my battery by running my heated jacket, my PIAA's, and heated grips.

The charging system needs to be bigger... if you keep your RPM's up and turn off accessories when your RPM's are down you will be fine. If you are running over 4K RPM's iirc your charging system will stay charging once you dip down below that and running too much accessories will slowly drain your battery.

I drained a new battery because I did not know to turn off all my accessories when I was running at lower RPM's but once I learned to use accessories when running higher RPM's, I never drained my battery. I drained my battery by running my heated jacket, my PIAA's, and heated grips.

I figured out the same thing when I added a temporary volt meter after getting the Gerbing gear. On my bike it only takes about 3000 RPM to overcome the drain from all the gear on full at the same time.

As posted earlier, the wide range of fluctuation was caused by a loose connection to the Battery Bug. When I recrimped the spade connector I use to reset the Bug, the fluctuations went away.

I am carrying the extra volt meter in my side case now so I can double check any voltage issues when on the road. The wild readings I was getting on the Battery Bug caused some inconvenience. I kept my Gerbing gear off on the return trip because I thought my battery might be failing. If I had been able to double check with a second volt meter, it would have been a lot warmer ride home.

Back