• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help please

1TOMMAC

I just bought a used BMW MOTORRAD III and want to install on a 2010 G650GS. Can anyone share some info on the best way to connect to the electrical syster. From what I understand the 650's don't hae the factory gps wiring like the bigger bides. TIA

Not familiar with Motorad 3 but, if it is a simple 2 wire hookup, wire thru tail light. That way it will power when key is on. I found wire to tail light in harness under seat. Installed fuse between units wire and connection to tail light. If you want it powered when you are off bike, wire straight to battery. Just remember to turn off when you park it in the garage.
Hope this helps.

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. I think your bike has a parking light-in the headlight. If so Twisted Throttle has a piggy-back jumper that gives you access to 12 volts the easy way. A lot of people using GPS all the time like to have it wired direct to the battery so a quick stop (maybe for gas) doesn't turn into a long re-boot session. If you plan to use a battery tender for the off season, that lead will also double for a GPS connection. Hope that helps. Gary

i wired my zumo 550 direct to the battery on my F650GS single cyl and when i switched to a 2011 F650GS twin i did the same, direct to the battery. stopping for gas i leave the GPS turned on but if i stop for a longer length of time i will shut it off.

Tom,

If you plan on adding more than one or two electrical devices to your bike, then you may want to install a fuse block. This will prevent development of a wire maze at the battery; a particularly testy problem on the thumpers given where the battery resides. Some fuse blocks allow for both switched and unswitched (constant power) circuits. There are a some posts in this subforum about installing a fuse block. Here is one: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=23150&highlight=fuse+block

I just bought a used BMW MOTORRAD III and want to install on a 2010 G650GS. Can anyone share some info on the best way to connect to the electrical syster. From what I understand the 650's don't hae the factory gps wiring like the bigger bides. TIA

Kevin has provided some good advice.

There are various suppliers of Fuse Blocks. Here is a picture of the unit I used on my F650GS.

What I like about this unit is that it offers the option to be switched (on/off with ignition) or unswitched-plus this model offers an internal ground block.

Shop around-- lots of options.

This unit is located under the seat.

932525520_tpMu6-L.jpg

Here are your options:

Wire it with a fuse directly to the battery. In this case it will stay on when you turn the engine off. This is nice on a trip of you are monitoring trip data like trip time, average speed, etc. You need to remember to turn it off when you get home or stop overnight.

Wire it to switched power. It will turn off and need to re-find itself when you start the bike again. The parking light, or even low-beam on bikes where it stays on with high beam, or the tail light circuits are the time honored traditional sources for low current switched power.

Wire it to an accessory fuse panel wired to the battery. Some like the Fuzblock offer the option of always-on or switched power for each of the circuits.

I have wired at least a dozen bikes for GPS power and have always gone to the battery or a fuse panel for always-on power. I don't want the GPS turning off every time I stop for gas. Yes - the GPS may remind you it lost power and asks if you want it to stay on if it has a battery but many models don't have batteries. That's your choice though.

Back