• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wire Chaffing on 06 & 07 F650GS

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
A friend had a problem with his neutral light not going out on his 06 F650GS. It would occasionally flicker, but generally stayed on. Attempts to diagnose the problem were fruitless until by accident it was noticed that the light flickered when he adjusted the rear shock. He removed the adjuster from the frame and this is what he found.

RikkisWire.jpg

I just checked my wife's 07 F650GS and found this.

AnniesWire.jpg

The chaffing was just getting serious. It had penetrated the tape holding the loom together, but had not penetrated any of the individual wire coatings.... lucky me.

This is the fix I came up with.

FixedWire.jpg

I first wrapped the loom with friction tape, then the wire protector pictured and finally I wrapped the protector in friction tape.

It is worth a quick check to see if you have some chaffing. Rmoving the shock adjuster is a 2 minute job.

Good catch, this needs to be passed around!

"Ze vires are dezined by Yosef Lukas. Zey are not permitted to fail."

My 2003 F650GS Dakar had the factory recall applied when I took it in for my 6,000 miles service. I do not know exactly what they did, I just remember it was a potential wear spot on the harness that was reinforced. My harness was not worn at the time, but it only had 6K miles.

Before this was done, I had noticed a part of the wiring harness that was rubbing against the bottom of the seat. It had not worn through the covering that surrounded the bundle of wires yet. I had a roll of black Gorilla Glue (really sticky) duck tape that matched the harness, so I put a piece of it over the spot that showed some wear. An ounce of prevention...

Back