• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'82 R65LS Ignition Blues

kentuvman

Hi Everyone - want to share a long process of my attempt to solve an ignition issue. Seems many of us with the electronic ignitions go through this sooner or later - riding along and the bike starts quitting and bucking like a bronco - leading up to this post, I'd installed a new Hall Sensor in one of the bean cans and did it again in another. It's not the kind of work I'd want to do on a regular basis. After overhauling the bean can, bike still was quitting so I replaced the ICU. That solved the problem but created another one - the tach needle started jumping like crazy!

In December, towed my bike from MN to CA and then R65 was hard to start - it had been through weather that included snow and rain.

I’d reached out to Matt Parkhouse asking him about the wisdom of buying a new $200 Bosch dual tower coil w/out being sure the coil was a problem - Matt graciously shipped me a Dyna blue and told me if it worked, to send him a check - I'd had a used Bosch dual tower coil and that was after replacing the OEM Grey Crack-o-matic.

After installing the Dyna Blue Coil, the bike fired up right away - one problem solved!
Unfortunately, she still was conking out BUT tach no longer jumped!

Decided to stop farting around (been messing with the ignition off and on over the past 2-3 years) and ordered the Red Centre Gen 3 Bean can and ICU and a new ignition harness from John Olive / Rally Sport Ignition in Australia - should arrive this week.

In preparation for new ignition system, removed tank today and started going through all the wires - one thing I definitely noticed was when I put the bike back together say @5 years ago, I didn't know as much as I do now and had used a combination of Gorilla Black Duct tape and Electrical tape to wrap the harness - did that because the OEM sheath was deteriorating. Didn't like my "past work" and removed all the sticky gooey gorilla tape (don't ever get lazy like I did and use this crap!) Took a couple hours but I was alone and uninterrupted and found the work to be quite therapeutic. Removed wires that went into different harnesses/connectors on the frame and routed for minimal stress on the wires - really took my time and did a nice job working with the best loom tape I could find locally at a Pep Boys - 3M Black Friction Tape - worked like a dream!

I noticed a cluster of ground wires that attaches behind the voltage regulator and are held on by one of the two Allen bolts that holds on the VR was loose - not sure what would have caused the conking out but one never knows! The other thing I caught was corrosion where the Ignition module harness plugs into the other white plug that goes where? Forgetting now. Wiring harness, I think . . .

Then I removed the Ignition harness - the wires were stiff and not brittle but old and the connectors to the bean can are non OEM.

Will I have solved my problem? Not sure but getting closer and wiring harness sure is tidy and clean! Will keep you posted when I install new ignition - excited about this new product because of where the hall sensor is mounted - completely serviceable and should eliminate the need to carry a spare bean can and just a spare hall sensor.

Attachments

• a r65 1.jpg
    a r65 1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 56
  • a r65 3m cloth tape.jpg
    a r65 3m cloth tape.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 56
  • a r65 dyna blue.jpg
    a r65 dyna blue.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 56
Good stuff Ken.......Yes, totally therapeutic to bury your head into a mystery and see it just flow to it's logical conclusion.....Let us know when it fires up that first time....Few, really know that satisfaction and it's rare for a guy to actually do what you are doing......God bless......Dennis

Back