• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Black coils vs. Blue coils

p2

What's the difference? Thought I saw somewhere the black ones are preferred.

Got a nice set off my 83 R100CS parts bike, just wondering if I should pop 'em on
my R90S.

p2

well it all depends.
the bosch blue coils, which are "sport" coils are better than the standard black bosch coils.

however, a far newer black coil from 83 might be in better condition ( and more life left to it) than a mcuh older blue

What's the difference? Thought I saw somewhere the black ones are preferred.

Got a nice set off my 83 R100CS parts bike, just wondering if I should pop 'em on
my R90S.

p2

The 83 is electronic ignition. The 90S is points. Different coils required. See SnoBum for all the details.

thought theey weeeeee the same. they are both point bikes. 1) is in can

81 on was electronic ignition. If your's has been converted back to points, then the points coils would be correct. If you hide such alterations from the info, don't expect correct info. Again, SnoBum gives all details on ignitions and coils.

Then there is this from Oak and comments from Ted Porter. Gives all the stock info then goes on to talk about dual plug conversion.

http://bmwscotter.org/topics/coils/xxxignition_coil_master.txt

Last edited:
Back