• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Seeking information

bmwgsrider

I am trying to look for a good link for good tent campsites for traveling to the national. I know its easy to find RV parks and a lot of parks that I find do not specify if there are tent campsites unless I am "blind" and hoping that someone who does a lot of tent camping is able to point me in the correct direction that I maybe possibly overlooking.

With the extreme (over 100 degree) temperatures I will be traveling in, I am debating if I should motel or camp... motel are fairly easy to find but having issues finding tent camping but like to keep both options open and be able to find a place to camp that's easy to find like a motel.

I know there is KOA but also I have been told by several KOA campgrounds you need to reserve in advance because they sell out in advance as well as you can't get full refund if you decide to stop elsewhere or travel farther that day... I want to be able to find tent camping where you don't have to comit to a reservation in advance and a lot of motel is you stop early enough you shouldn't have a problem getting a room somewhere...

Good Sams tells me they do have tent camping but unable to tell me where as they say to go buy a book that's not cheap and haven't had luck searching their website.

Looking for good advice/information or a good link where can find tent camping.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if I am asking a dumb question.

I can't help you much, as I have not travelled between Amarillo and Bloomsburg much. But I would advise you to cross state lines on Interstates and stop at the welcome centers. You can get good info, a current state highway map with state parks listed, and if the welcome center is open, the folks manning it can help you with places to camp on down the road. Have fun! See you in Bloomsburg :dance

If you have a RV dealership nearby, usually they have a stock of books that have camping locations located. There are many such as the ones from Trailer Life or one called Camping with the Corp of Engineers. One thing to remember is that while the amenities are usually correct- the ratings are not. Good luck, Gary

you might

look for any State Parks, or National Parks or Nat'l Recreation Areas. all have typically decent campgrounds but facilities on site tend to vary. state parks usually charge a slight fee but many national campgrounds or rec areas are free and first-come first serve

I will also camp at the Rally, but when I travel to and from Rallys I use Motels. I have a Motel 6 book available at any Motel 6. I figger about where I want to be the next day, then call ahead and make a reservation. If you change your mind on where you want to spend the night, and you call and cancel your reservation before 6 PM there is no charge. Three weeks ago I rode from South Carolina to Colarado in three days. The first night was $57 and the second night was $58. In hot summer weather I like AC and a nice shower at the end of the day. See ya'all in Bloomsburg...Kenny.

you might

look for any State Parks, or National Parks or Nat'l Recreation Areas. all have typically decent campgrounds but facilities on site tend to vary. state parks usually charge a slight fee but many national campgrounds or rec areas are free and first-come first serve

Our experience is that most state parks charge more than a slight fee. The last we stayed in charged $22 for the campsite, plus $7 per vehicle per day. Since we were on two motorcycles the total came to $36. That was Colorado a week or so ago. North Dakota wanted about the same except the second vehicle needed to pay the "daily fee" twice: once for the period from when we got there until midnight, and the second for the second day from midnight until we left in the morning. Minnesota wanted $32. Idaho parks are reasonable at $15 or so and they have never charged us an extra vehicle fee.

Many state parks now seem to be running a little higher than KOA type commercial campgrounds.

Federal sites not in National Parks, County Parks, City Parks and regional parks can be good options. My favoites are National Forest Campgrounds if one is handy.

I've not had a problem with KOA tent sites filling up. YMMV. If I did come across a full KOA, I would not be shy about walking through the sites to see if someone would be willing to allow another tent to be pitched.

I RV it and use the site below. I know many who also tent and use the same website. Its just a rating system by individuals who have visited these campgrounds ( public and private) . Much better then any Good Sam's book or anybody else's that you could buy.
http://rvparkreviews.com/

I've always used KOA even last year to Oregon and back to Pa 13 nights was always the only camper except for one night in Utah where another BMW rider was also on the way to the rally. I would risk it myself. most will make room for you if they have to and most have a pool food and fire wood. Just me :) I also gave myself a strict looking time. Start looking at 5pm and take what comes up. The latest I looked was an hour and a half. But I start early about 6 -7 so believe me I'm done. If you wait until 7-8 you probably will be out of luck. Just my strategy

Back