• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Spring Creek Campground

D33C5692-757A-43A4-8635-E96CC49AE9AC.jpeg
The little red dot near the center of the pic is where we were on the river, just off Highway 14.

On this trip, my plan was to hangout at the rally in the evening, but I was going to do some riding, it’s the Ozarks. That night at the rally campfire drink fest, everyone was telling lies, jokes, tall tales; the usual bs, I mentioned I was riding tomorrow and heading over to Mt. View, go listen to some folk music from the locals. I did it loud enough so everyone could hear me. Kinda quiet, no response; then I heard; I want to go with Ya. Met Dave from Lincoln, Nebraska. Gave him the plan. No big rush in the mourning, get up and get off on an easy enjoyable ride and listen to some music and eat some local country grub. Dave was all in.

Dave and I hooked up the next morning, we both were kinda shaking off the effects of adult beverages. He was from Nebraska. Said he’d been meandering around north central Arkansas goin no place in particular, but was impressed by the area; great riding. Being by himself, it was kinda hit and miss. Showed him my map and Hiway 14 to Mt. View, little communities along the way; Cozahome, Evening Star, Harriet, Big Flat, Fifty-Six. Just can’t make up names like that. We took off, perfect day to ride; about a little 25 mile jaunt. Ridin thru all those little hamlets, he was all smiles; me too. Was watching him thru my rear view mirror, that K100 totally fascinated me, slick, fuel injection, triple disk brakes, mono lever, wow.

On the ride over, stopped at the old ferry river crossing to check out the old now unused ferry.
FA21FB93-EF8D-4F00-A493-CD02264EBAC9.jpeg
E16D6E3E-1D7C-424A-83FC-7BDD3F403B64.jpeg
Dave standing on the old ferry. New bridge in background.

It’s the old ferry at Allison/Sylamore on Hiway 9 across the White River between Mountain View and Melbourne. I had crossed that ferry back to the1950’s. It connected Stone and Izard Counties. My great grandfather Sundown was from Izard County. Good old Sundown, would leave his shack/cabin at daylight and come home at sundown, that’s the story I heard. :dunno

We headed on into Mt. View to the courthouse square and started listening to the locals and guests Picking and singing folk music. They would all just meet up, one would start playing and they would all just join in. :dance. It was great, Dave loved it.
6B60A767-C665-47EE-B75F-220A049C2223.jpeg
917A8DF4-4AE8-4BE2-9FF3-382937762985.jpeg
Dave in black leather jacket. He loved it.

Letter From Dave

F2D68902-6EB4-4CD2-88C7-D4E35CE56C1C.jpeg

Felt good to know that someone enjoyed the ride. Never saw him again, but he sure loved riding in Arkansas and he said that day riding to Mt. View was his best part of his whole trip. Here’s a toast to you Dave where ever you are, 30 years later. :wave:beer

1FF3FA5E-FFEA-4033-B9D3-47CBE23C1B60.jpeg

It dawned on me this is when Dave and I rode back into the rally camp. My R90 on the left and his K100 on the right. I was really impressed by the K100 Flying Brick.

K100 Standard

A few years later I got a good deal on a ‘87 K100RT. Thought I was riden high; outfitted it with all the Accessories available for that model. After a few years moved on to a R1100RS. The RT got relegated to back up status. Then to the back of the garage where it became a catch all for all sorts of junk. Considered selling it. Those bikes don’t bring much on the used bike market. Some how in the back of my mind I kept thinking about a plain K100; just like The one Dave was riding. Started buying the parts for the conversion. To reinforce that plan of action; I removed the RT fairing, so no going back. I got so into it, I accumulated enough pieces to do 2 K100’s. One for touring and maybe one as a little bit of a hot rod. See what U did Dave. Will see.

‘77 R100RS Pure Class

26E18DA9-E2F5-4F43-AA6F-9922119325C5.jpeg

The iconic ‘77 R100RS A bike that set many new standards for the world of motorcycles.

Back