• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Going To Bloomsburg from New England?

Theo

Touring Panpsychist
Are you traveling from New England to the BMWMOA Rally in July? If so, post your departure date/time if you wouldn't might others joining you.

Several of us are thinking of leaving Friday morning (7/22) from Western Mass.

Cheers!

Mass, isn't that in the Deep South..?

Leaving from northern VT early Friday morning, crossing the lake to Essex then linking up with 30 south thru the Adirondacks. Will keep the urban centers to my east, back roads all the way.

Pete

Yankee Beemers might be having a Rolling Rally to Bloomsburg - Camping out on our way down to PA.

Nope. We call that Connecticut, y'all! Are you bringing one of your best friends (as featured in a certain popular magazine)?

Not sure just yet. We're camping thru Ontario to MN, cutting east from Duluth to the UP before dropping down to the RA Rally in Chippewa Falls. Then we'll ride home via IL, IN, OH, PA and NY. I'm not sure how he'll feel about getting back in the rig after 2 weeks and 4000 miles plus, but right now he runs into the shop and vocalizes as he sits in the hack and implores me to get a move on.

I have one exceptional dog named Tadcaster. He's my master hunter and constant canine companion. I love that dog more fiercely than most dogs can only dream about.He's five years old and has lymphoma. I would dearly love t get him past his fear of the hack so he could ride with me. We'll see how it goes.

And I have two waiting in the wings for their turn.

I have a few ways from the northeast to get to Bloomsburg and I will post them in do time. I will also include some nice ways coming from other regions.

For the New England and Upsate NY riders I would avoid I 81 between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre I think there is going to be a bridge replacement project meaning a major lane shift. I have ways around this one being RT 81 at Clarks Summit taking the Pa Turnpike to Dupont then back on RT 81. Or RT 11 taking you through the patch towns that offer great food. Or RT 6 with many routes south to Bloomsburg.

For those coming on RT 84 there is an exit that will get you on twisties running east of the same metro area with options to more twisty roads or RT 80 to Bloomsburg.

I have my favorite route from Hancock NY to Bloomsburg with an alternative dirt route once I get permission to have two gates openned. The dirt way is a half hour shorter.

I want to ride these roads to make sure I didn't miss any construction projects before publication.

New England campers ought to get a place near Hancock NY or RT 30 as a base camp then its just a nice 3-4 hour ride from there.

Trying to get our small group to leave Maine on Wednesday late afternoon and drive until sundown then find a room.

I'll be leaving on an undisclosed day, taking a route I don't even know about, hoping to avoid riding with anyone I did not give birth too. :brow

I'll be working as soon as spring breaks putting together routing to the rally from your geographic quadrant.
Pickup point will be 81 south from Binghamton or on the Delaware River crossings at Hancock and Deposit, NY. The segment will lead to the area of Chris's "Dirt Farm". (StatDawg)
I'll be coordinating with Chris on this.
My focus will be on dirt roads ranging from two lane dirt to one lane dirt with grass growing in the center, ideal GS riding. All routing will be on public roads.
If one knows where to find them, Pennsylvania has public roads which approach single track.
The layout will cross major highway arteries often, so that one may pick and choose the style and pace of riding which best suites.

Bokrijder

It turns out that several of us will be leaving western MA on Thursday around noon instead of Friday. With the late-in-the-day start, we'll need to "bee-line" to Bloomsburg. I think we'll head west to the Taconic, head south to pick up I-84 west to somewhere well before Scranton and backroad it down to I-380 to connect up with I-80 west.

Right now it looks like we might follow SR-423 from I-84 down to Tobyhanna to pick up I-380. Any PA folks have input on using SR-423/I-380 for our route down to I-80? We were going to ride through the Delaware Water Gap but a frequent visitor to that area suggested that SR-209 might be a exercise in frustration due to the Park traffic.

BTW -- MS Streets and Trips shows highway construction due for I-81 from Scranton south as Statdawg had posted.

Construction....

There appears to be no way to get on I-476 around SWB? I'm sure the rationale there made sense to someone....
What about SR309, picked up at exit 170B? Will that exit be north of where the construction starts?

Port Jervis to Bloomsburg avoiding the Delaware Water Gap and Scranton / W-B Metro

The bridge repair is between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, but they report no lane restrictions at this time. Yesterday, I was as far as Montage Mountain Road from the south and did not have any issues.

From PennDOT I-81 September 2009 --> 2012
snip.....
Interstate 81 Lackawanna County, St. Mary’s Cemetery bridges between Exits 182 Davis St / Montage Mountain Rd. and 184 River St., NB, SB, bridge replacements, temporary bridges, no lane restrictions.......

To avoid the normal heavy traffic in both Stroudsburg, Pa and the Scranton / W-B area take the embedded map way below: in part or full. The twisty road between I 84 to RT 115 is fast, fun, nice G's and be mindful of small town speeds. Once you join RT 115 you could head east a short distance and reach 80 west. :hungover Fast but I hate slab !

Or travel to Wilkes-Barre area and take I 81 south to RT 29 ( Nanticoke ) and follow RT 11 down the Susquehanna river through Berwick.

Or turn off earlier on 84 and head to RT 380 ( this "could" be slow since this is a bedroom community full of NYC commuters and people dragging boat trailers and RVs to the local parks and lakes, other days its not an issue ). Rt 191- 423 - 940 .

The west of Wilkes-Barre embedded way is not needed thanks to no construction south of Wilkes-Barre, but you could enjoy it. You take the RT 81 170 Exit and head west and north to the Back Mountain area meaning RT 309 to 415 to 118 then 487 to Bloomsburg. But traffic can be heavy between I 81 to where 309 bends northward in town of Dallas between 3 and 6 PM. But, there is a away around this by taking Hillside Road ( once you cross the metro / river valley and go through the rock cut and its the first traffic light, its a left hand turn then follow the signs to Penn State U. ) to old RT 115 to RT 118 west of Lehman, then take RT 118 west to 487 to Bloomsburg. If the summer day is long one should have time to do this whole scenic route however during the late afternoon you will have the sun in your face on RT 118, RT 11 and 80 West.

* No one does the speed limit on this cross valley route, they normally are 30 mph over in the rock cut area so get in the left lane early..........the police even patrol this stretch !

* I still need to scout the entire route because of snow melt run off, flooding and possible road damage caused from frost.

Its just best to have the GPS address of the fairgrounds and get lost when you are about 40 miles out because of the nice roads and scenery.:thumb

<iframe src="http://ridewithgps.com/routes/309541/embed" height="500px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I would like to tie in with some riders who are in no special need to do interstates and hopefully travel some interesting secondary roads.

I have not riden much in southern NY and only done interstates thru Penn. It is time to change that.

I live on the west coast of Vt...so can meet pretty much anywhere

Appreciate this thread may set that up

Just a thought...

Perhaps those folks forming groups or folks seeking groups could post the day and time (morning/afternoon/etc.) of their desired departure. It may be easier to arrange connections that way.

I plan on leaving on Wednesday morning from Westborough, MA. would enjoy riding with a small group.

Rick
rms000 at gmail dot com

Back