• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

88 K75 - Fuel mystery

L

leothelion

So, I am still experimenting with my K75. Until now I never saw the second red fuel light on. I wanted to see what autonomy I got until it gave me the very low fuel warning. Well, it never turned on. I barely made it to a gas station. No kidding, it got to the pump on the its fuel molecule.

But here's the oddest thing: it filled up with only 4.2 gallons. How is that possible? My only theory is that the gauge was indeed right (there was fuel left), but somehow that fuel was inaccessible.

Any theories?

Thanks

Leo

K75s only have one fuel light. It's the one next to the gas pump symbol. The other light is used for ABS fault.

If you have not removed the flapper in the filler, and are allowing the gas nozzle to click off, you might not be filling the tank to capacity.

With the flapper removed, you will be able to see how much fuel is remaining that cannot be picked up.

:dance:dance:dance

The other light will never come on because, as 98lee said K75's only have one fuel light - the one next to the gas pump symbol.

When I bought my '86 K75T a few years ago I knew nothing about them and the PO told me when the fuel light came on I'd have about a gallon left and when the second fuel light came on I better find gas immediately.

Well, I ran it pretty low a couple times, but that second light never came on. I often wondered why until last year when I took the cluster apart to install LED bulbs and replace the housing. While I was in there I discovered there is absolutely nothing in the second spot - no bulb, no bulb socket, nothing. I subsequently learned that space is only used for ABS fault on the ABS equipped bikes.

The second fuel light was used on the 85K100 and was supposed to come on when about a quart of fuel was left. But it was buggy so they went to just one light, but left the space for the second one in the panel. Bikes before ABS had the blank light. I got my faceplate from a donor k100....

Attachments

• speedo.jpg
    speedo.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Well, that would indeed explain why it never turned on. Funny thing it was the previous owner who explained the function of the two lights to me. His explanation would indeed correspond to the faceplate posted by 35634. Is that a collector's item now? My faceplate has only one gas pump symbol.

What remains unexplained is that when the bike run out of gas it only took 4.2 gallons to fill up. And yes, it was completely filled up; precisely because I was puzzled that I checked, and the gas was right there at the neck and I could see it and touch it when pushing down the flap.

Where is the fuel pump in this 88K75S? Inside the tank?

Thanks everybody.

The second fuel light was used on the 85K100 and was supposed to come on when about a quart of fuel was left. But it was buggy so they went to just one light, but left the space for the second one in the panel. Bikes before ABS had the blank light. I got my faceplate from a donor k100....

173 thousand miles on that K75?!?

Well, that would indeed explain why it never turned on. Funny thing it was the previous owner who explained the function of the two lights to me. His explanation would indeed correspond to the faceplate posted by 35634. Is that a collector's item now? My faceplate has only one gas pump symbol.

What remains unexplained is that when the bike run out of gas it only took 4.2 gallons to fill up. And yes, it was completely filled up; precisely because I was puzzled that I checked, and the gas was right there at the neck and I could see it and touch it when pushing down the flap.

Where is the fuel pump in this 88K75S? Inside the tank?

Thanks everybody.

The fuel pump is inside the tank. Its in the lower left. as others have said I recomend you remove the Flapper. With the Flapper removed, you can get another 1/2 Gal. in the tank...

Leo, I have had the same questions, for the exact same reasons. When I got my K75, the first time I rode it dry, because I couldn't believe that it would only go 180 miles on a tank (I have filled it up riding away from the guy I bought it from). The tank held 4.7 gallons.

I came here, asked the same questions. Removed the gas tank flapper, pushed the fuel pump down with respect to the fuel pump clamp. Then went riding, and when the tank went dry, I filled it up... with 4.7 gallons. Don't know why this is so, since pushing the pump down should have allowed the pump to go lower into the tank.

I have a 2008 K1200S as well, and have only run it dry once. The Riders Manual indicates that the tank holds 5.0 gallons. When I filled up the tank after running it dry, it took 5.0 gallons. I want the same for the K75, though haven't achieved that yet.

I will follow your experience with interest, and I too want to get all 5 gallons out of that tank!

Back